OK hold on to your hats! It's the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Video

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I thought this deserved its own thread. You'll need a good pair of headphones or you can stream it to big system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh dear Peter, you've done it now. Prepare for the storm :eek:!
I have to say I struggle w/these a-b's on my computer spkrs, so I pass no opinion. But plenty will!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..oy vey...here we go again :rolleyes:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I did not hear any difference listening though headphones on my laptop. It would be a pain to try to get it to play through my stereo. If what the Atmosphere does can be captured by a recording, then it must be effecting the playback electronics somehow.

Looks like this devices goal is to achieve hall effects similar to a surround sound processor has. Personally I've never been impressed with that sort of thing. I want to hear the recording as it was intended. There are many people out there that do enjoy that though.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
FWIW I have a very good setup with my desktop...good speakers and amps...could not hear any difference either but then had it been on my big system who knows? Regardless I am beyond skeptical of anything SR promotes..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to link up a cheap'n'cheerful 80's surround processor, and pick "hall", "rock concert" etc? At least we would be spared the usual "game changing" schtick. I really object to being asked to spend big bucks on an "elaborate" tone control/ambience unit. What procedure are you meant to follow when a band swings from hell-for-leather rocker, to intimate acoustic, from track to track? Led Zep 3, anyone? Pause the music, grab your tablet and pick your mood? Whatever happened to switching off when listening to music and being in the moment? This is a prescription for severe OCD, if it even works.
Some similarities in outcome w/the BSG QOL unit I heard a year ago, the artificial expansion of space. Shucks, I said I wasn't going to pass an opinion...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard the Synergistic HFTs again last weekend with the Analysis Amphitryon and the Lamms, and the room was sounding great. Then I went to dmnc02's place, where he just took out one transducer and the sound collapsed. Highly sensitive. He has spent hours placing them correctly. And he already has an acoustically designed room. It is not a tone control. It is neutral, and just increases focus, reduces muddiness, and lifts the soundstage. Same thing I saw in Munich.

Regarding BSG QOL, isn't that supposed to just correct for phase?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for sharing Peter

I heard the demo at the RMAF show this year and could hear differences, I didn't in the end find it having me saying I gotta get this.

The issue I found while listening was not knowing which one to settle with - I also noticed the sound would vary - from okay this is cool but then on the same album another song no so - so you would be hunting to find another setting but at the same time loosing that connection due to such.

I did not find it to be a set-it and forget product - I wasn't familiar with the actual set-up. - kinda reminds me of way back with that Carver Hologram pce but obviously different design philosophy and some other product out there.

Did you install the HFT's at any point.

Did you also try those 2 different PHT's ontop of your cart? Already a few have - can see what their thoughts were.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1416231067&&&/Anyone-try-Synergistic-Research-PHT-

Not to hi-jack this thread but I noticed the Kronos being used and at a quick glance noticed some differences than the one I had a couple of years ago, using 2 belts on each platter instead of 3 on each caught my eye. You posted some enthusiasm on another thread - possibly start another thread but prior have the owner share with you the changes "improvements" he has made along the way from when it was actually released to the current design you have in house and do share. When I had mine just a couple of years ago it had 6 belts in total "why did they go from 6 to 4"- the battery supply along with new controller was just being implemented. What do these retail now for? Are older versions completely upgradable - is there a cost and if so how much.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
More bull$h;t.

The device deserves its own dumpster.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gary, why don't you REALLY say what's on your mind :D:cool:!

esldude

Well the claim is the Atmosphere broadcasts low frequency Shuman waves or frequencies like around 7hz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

How that can be binaural, effect humans etc. etc. seems left unsaid. Then again SR may change the story. Of course considering the recent info about the SR HOT headphone device, you may wish to let go of your hats and grab hold of your wallet with both hands.

Further how can you expect to hear a difference in the video if this RF field alters the humans to make it sound different? Of course that might be the most truthful part of the presentation. That the Atmosphere changes how humans feel about the sound. Doesn't have anything to do with the RF I don't think. More like the BSF.

It is an extension of the SR craft however. Not only do you have sighted listening, you are giving someone a picture, with controls, interactive feedback on what is supposed to be happening to capture, and direct their attention to what is supposed to be the effect. That is an advance in the field for sure. Not that the RF has anything to do with that other than the RF signal over Wifi to the ipad to influence the listener in the desired direction. Really is marketing/bafflegab genius.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Esldude, you really should get some t-shirts printed w/the slogan "I'm a bafflegab genius!", I'm w/you on this one.
I REALLY object, effect or not, to choosing the ambience manipulation. Do we want to hear the song, or our imposed interpretation of it?
What next, using it to actually get your kids to sleep while playing Death Metal at full tilt in "sleepy" mode? :confused:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Maybe this is an elaborate experiment testing the placebo effect. The iPad is a nice touch. Ted has really upped his game this time. I think he even put his arm around Peter. :eek:

Well the claim is the Atmosphere broadcasts low frequency Shuman waves or frequencies like around 7hz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

How that can be binaural, effect humans etc. etc. seems left unsaid. Then again SR may change the story. Of course considering the recent info about the SR HOT headphone device, you may wish to let go of your hats and grab hold of your wallet with both hands.

Further how can you expect to hear a difference in the video if this RF field alters the humans to make it sound different? Of course that might be the most truthful part of the presentation. That the Atmosphere changes how humans feel about the sound. Doesn't have anything to do with the RF I don't think. More like the BSF.

It is an extension of the SR craft however. Not only do you have sighted listening, you are giving someone a picture, with controls, interactive feedback on what is supposed to be happening to capture, and direct their attention to what is supposed to be the effect. That is an advance in the field for sure. Not that the RF has anything to do with that other than the RF signal over Wifi to the ipad to influence the listener in the desired direction. Really is marketing/bafflegab genius.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe this is an elaborate experiment testing the placebo effect. The iPad is a nice touch. Ted has really upped his game this time. I think he even put his arm around Peter. :eek:

I think he convinced him too.....

esldude

While I would have preferred less pauses between various functions or effects, on my headphones I noticed tonal differences. I also noticed breathing sounds and other noises as well that may or may not be part of the effect, also rushing sort of sounds, which could be attributed to RF Interference of a continuous wave spectrum. So there it is.

That's interesting. SR claims this effects the listener not the sound. Only your perception changes the sounds perceived don't change by their claim.

So why should this video sound different to you? It isn't recording RF to effect you.

Ever heard of placebo? You just experienced it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Esldude, maybe the Atmosphere's RF "function" affects the mic's themselves i.e. has an effect on the living :rolleyes:...and the non living :eek:. Spooky :eek:!

esldude

Esldude, maybe the Atmosphere's RF "function" affects the mic's themselves i.e. has an effect on the living :rolleyes:...and the non living :eek:. Spooky :eek:!

SR makes no such claim. It is purported to work at very low frequencies. You simply are inventing possible ways for it to work to salvage what someone thought they heard, but didn't. That is the genius of SR. Marketing something in a way with the current high end atmosphere that you simply can't question whatever they claim. Hey maybe that is where the inspiration for the product name came from....the Atmosphere that lets any thing work.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Esldude, I thought you might work out that my comment on affecting the mic's is meant to be sarcastic/ironic. Highly so. I put so much thought into these posts, I feel a bit under appreciated LOL!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing