Dylan Basement Tapes

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This stuff is historic, but not hifi. I own The Great White Wonder on vinyl. I also own all of the Bootleg series on CD. Unless someone has applied some serious magic here, higher resolution, in any form or fantasy, is likely to reveal more warts than wonders. With that said, I love the warts, and anyone who truly loves American music should own this stuff in whatever form floats their boat. It is raw. Rough. Some is actually a bit hard to listen to. But it is a collection of absolutely brilliant musicians, led by the greatest songwriter in memory, running the entire history of American popular music through the filter of their own remarkable sensibilities and taking the next step. This is the DNA of all the American roots music that has followed. Tape. Vinyl. Spotify. Whatever. Just listen.

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like this one quite a bit, fwiw...

Dylan Set.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This stuff is historic, but not hifi. I own The Great White Wonder on vinyl. I also own all of the Bootleg series on CD. Unless someone has applied some serious magic here, higher resolution, in any form or fantasy, is likely to reveal more warts than wonders. With that said, I love the warts, and anyone who truly loves American music should own this stuff in whatever form floats their boat. It is raw. Rough. Some is actually a bit hard to listen to. But it is a collection of absolutely brilliant musicians, led by the greatest songwriter in memory, running the entire history of American popular music through the filter of their own remarkable sensibilities and taking the next step. This is the DNA of all the American roots music that has followed. Tape. Vinyl. Spotify. Whatever. Just listen.

Tim

Hey Tim:

I very much admire you skepticism about most things, very refreshing!...

To say these sessions were historic would be the understatement of the century for sure, and many of these songs literally launched careers, and
established several new genres.

But to the tapes...

I can tell you with absolute certainly the newly remastered version is far superior to anything you have heard before. They
went back to Garth Hudson's original reels and digitally captured, cataloged, and mastered each tape. Any previous version
is from multi generation copies. I have listened to the set extensively. But note, that on the mega 6 disc set, at least one disc, maybe two,
are of highly questionable fidelity, but the rest is very good.

The "official" Basement Tapes release is bogus, with overdubs by Robertson and others, really a bit a of a sham to capitalize on the
the mystique of the original boot which you have.

The best part of these sessions, that despite the so called lo fidelity, is that it is impossible to beat the immediacy of 6 guys or so in a
room with microphones and a tape recorder.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I was very happy with the sound of the new release. Considering where it was recorded it sounds wonderful, especially given the fact that all they did for sound quality was move a rug and turn off the furnace.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Getting these things to hifi, much less audiophile, is a masterful mastering feat (I'll go into Dr Seuss soon...). Gotta hear them. Gotta have them. Probably too late to get them on my Christmas list...

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing