East Coast tour - Marty's system, Analysis Audio, etc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, so I went from London for some demos to New York/NJ over the weekend. My Analysis Audio Amphitryon with Lamm review is here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-do-you-prefer&p=296990&viewfull=1#post296990

and the GT Audio hybrid planar review is here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...tening-Session&p=296976&viewfull=1#post296976 - read the thread.

As for Marty's system, once when a computer audiophilia thread discussion was on, dallasjustice (Michael) had as usual harped on about room correction (RC). Most of the analog mafia had then come out against RC, claiming "only over their dead bodies". Steve Williams had then commented that in his 50 years in Audiophilia, Marty's system is one of the top 3 he has seen. And Marty uses Tact.

I therefore scheduled a visit to Marty's place. Ended up in a 8000 sq ft house with a beautifully designed acoustic room, the ceiling of which, with all the internal bass traps, looked awesome, as you can see from the pics in the links below.

I had already read about the system, the speakers were Pipedreams, with 2 JL Gotham sybs (the biggest of JL). VTL 7.5 Mk III, Spectral monos, MIT cabling - but I have never been impressed by normal cone speakers, and ok, this was a line array, so better, but then there are a lot of systems with VTL kind of equipment. So what was special? Apart from matching, the key component seemed to be a modded TacT, introduced after the preamp stage.

I sat there thorughly enjoying music for 3 hours. We played everything from plain vocals, blues, Schubert piano (and superb rendition of the piano, normally I don't like the way most cabinet speakers do the piano). Sammy Davis Jr. with Bye Bye Blackbird and Ruth Bone were amazing.

But then we moved to orchestral, and the system jumped up a few degrees. Initially we played the music streamed through a Meitner, and then we moved to an old Goldmund Studio TT on a vibraplane. Man, the difference was astounding. I am not even a vinyl guy. And the TT was going through the Tact. It was so much more organic, with better soundstage, better decay, and more involving, then the Meitner. We played Mussorgsky's Pictures, Scheherezade, and I clapped at the end of "Vienna", RCA Living Stereo, Solti conducting Covent Garden Orchestra. The brass in "Espana", Decca, Argento conducting the LSO was the best I have heard. Usually I don't expect non-horn speakers to do brass this well.

The imaging and soundstaging was astounding throughout. The key thing was, this was the first time I heard a system where the drummer or the orchestra player with abandon. In every other system, it looks like they are playing suppressed because the volume can't be turned up as it would cause a boom or harshness.

The lighting part was fun. When we played Scheherezade, Marty put on a desert theme where everything was dark and there were stars all over the room

Other Observations:
1. Marty mentioned that he has been through ARC and VTL, Valhalla, Kubala, and MIT, frequency response accounts for 99+% of what determines the correct timbre of instruments in audio playback.
2. TTs can make a difference even with Room correction
3. Systems can indeed play all genres, if done correctly
4. No point just comparing two speakers to see how low down they go, if one that doesn't go down low enough integrates well with a sub to produce a better range

Anyway, I am a believer in RC. Thanks to dallasjustice, if you keep banging on about the topic, it kicks off discussions, and some will sit up and pay attention.

You can see Marty's pics and his write up on Tact here
[http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ull=1#post4171

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post227662

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for the mention bonzo. DSP is a piece of the puzzle. Almost every speaker/room setup requires seperate subs and the best place for the subs is almost never going to be in the same location as the main speakers. In this case, delay is needed to properly integrate the subs with the speakers, which means DSP is needed. There are many different theories on subwoffery. I like mono summed subs crossed over at 50hz. That's what works for my room. Others need stereo subs crossed higher which makes some sense too. I recently moved my rear wall sub to the frontwall so I now have a pair of jl f113 on the frontwall and speakers out into the room. I may start a new thread when I finish building new filters to comment on how it sounds.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh yes, I forgot to add, when we finished and I asked to take down the titles of some of the tracks he had demoed, he handed me a CD that he had cut for me from the demo tracks. Superbly organized and was a pleasant surprise

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing