4 CH Line stage makes its debut

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Doshi Audio has built and delivered a 4 channel line stage. The unit was auditioned using a 4 channel down mix of SACD and custom 4 channel recordings and the results were stunning. There is so much spatial information that even the best systems simply do not deliver. For the lucky few that can afford it and have the space to do it, its a must audition. IMG_0854 (2).jpg

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 284

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Nick
So that is the unit you were describing at the recent Paragon event. Pretty nice.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Doshi Audio has built and delivered a 4 channel line stage. The unit was auditioned using a 4 channel down mix of SACD and custom 4 channel recordings and the results were stunning. There is so much spatial information that even the best systems simply do not deliver. For the lucky few that can afford it and have the space to do it, its a must audition.
Only 4 channels? Why not 6 so that there would be no need for downsampling and PCM conversion? Quad?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Only 4 channels? Why not 6 so that there would be no need for downsampling and PCM conversion? Quad?

It's a custom build Kal. It is what the customer wanted. If you want a 6-channel line stage, Nick can build you one!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It's a custom build Kal. It is what the customer wanted. If you want a 6-channel line stage, Nick can build you one!
I missed that in the original post and assumed it was a "regular" product.

This unit was a response to a specific requirement. I would be happy to consider requests for additional channels as well as power amplifiers for the additional channels.:)
Thanks for the offer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi so this is a multichannel TUBE amp, or SS?

Also, in the Mch, does it have DSP, or pure analog, and do things get downsampled to PCM?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi so this is a multichannel TUBE amp, or SS?

Also, in the Mch, does it have DSP, or pure analog, and do things get downsampled to PCM?

I see the tubes in the pic and it has only analog in/outs, so I doubt it is anything but pure analog.

Audiotom

Dec 2, 2015
The power response of the low end generated by 4 channels has to be heard to be believed. it also seems like higher SPL's are tolerated better by our ears when the location cues are 360

How is this being implemented? 4 channel surround? A separate powered sub off the bluray source?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How is this being implemented? 4 channel surround? A separate powered sub off the bluray source?

Apparently, it has 4 straight-through analog channels, each of which can be anything. There seems not to be any options for a specialized sub channel, down-mixing, bass management or anything but level/phase controls. IMHO, that is as it should be.

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Apparently, it has 4 straight-through analog channels, each of which can be anything. There seems not to be any options for a specialized sub channel, down-mixing, bass management or anything but level/phase controls. IMHO, that is as it should be.

That's correct - this unit was developed for a specific customer (now 2) who has a large library of multichannel live recordings. My personal opinion is that 4 full range channels are sufficient to create an immersive sound field with hall cues available that transcend the 2 channel experience.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I attended Nick's recent event at Paragon and was impressed by the multichannel presentation. If there was multi-channel content in the genres I care about I would be interested.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
That's correct - this unit was developed for a specific customer (now 2) who has a large library of multichannel live recordings. My personal opinion is that 4 full range channels are sufficient to create an immersive sound field with hall cues available that transcend the 2 channel experience.
One can argue about whether 4channels are sufficient or if more are required. However, you cannot argue with the fact that the majority of available multichannel recordings are either 5.1 or 5.0 and to play them on a 4.0 system requires that one either eliminate the center channel or split it between the L/R. Both of those corruptive. I'll stick with my 5.1 systems which can also play 4.0 with aplomb.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing