The most expensive speaker at CES 2015? $500,000

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well I haven't been able to create an AD/DA loop at 384/32 that was totally transparent.
Which expert said this and what equipment was he using?

Bruce,

I was saying that the format is equivalent in a broad sense, not that it is totally transparent. Searching better I found these old comments - sorry I though 2L were a poster of WBF, I see they were only being quoted http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9286-2xDSD-Smoke-and-mirrors-or-will-there-appear-better-masterings-on-it&p=165282&viewfull=1#post165282

We can also listen directly to the analogue output from the microphones. Digital eXtreme Definition is a professional audio format that brings “analogue” qualities in 24 bit at 352.8 kHz sampling rate. DXD preserves 8.4672 Mbit/s (3 times the data of DSD) per channel. This leaves headroom for editing and balancing before quantizing to DSD for SACD or PCM for Blu-Ray.
All audio formats on The Nordic Sound are sample rate converted from the same DXD master. Comparing them in our studio we find only subtle differences from DXD down to 192kHz and 96kHz. The obvious degeneration is from 96kHz down to 48kHz. We find DSD, as used in the SACD format, somewhat different in colour from PCM;

and http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5879-2L-new-offering-Hi-Res-FLAC-amp-Audiophile-Vinyl&p=91885&viewfull=1#post91885

Recording in DXD (352.8kHz/24bit) preserve analogue qualities to the digital domain.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well I haven't been able to create an AD/DA loop at 384/32 that was totally transparent.

when Bruce compared 382/32 to 2xdsd it came up short, and 2xdsd comes up short compared to analog.

too bad.....

passive analog crossovers are not easy; but they need no excuses as they go about their business.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Well, the U3 is more than $500K, and with a couple of the Q18subs, closer to $700K. It would be quite a speaker system to hear, especially in as large a room as the one pictured. The U3 certainly excites a lot of other people.

I heard the U3 in Magico's listening room, which is bigger than the front half of my house. Anyway, it filled that room effortlessly. It really was quite amazing. However, at the end of the day, I still prefer my S5s in the living room.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Must say the aesthetics are up there

If i was going to choose boxes wich is a BIG if, it would be these and i would have 200k left for music.:):):)

Genesis 1.2     698x505.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I heard the U3 in Magico's listening room, which is bigger than the front half of my house. Anyway, it filled that room effortlessly. It really was quite amazing. However, at the end of the day, I still prefer my S5s in the living room.

BlueFox,
Can you elaborate why?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
..JV's latest "best in the world" :cool: I'd rather own that ocean front villa but that's just me..

If you know where to get an ocean front villa, not in a conflict zone for $500K I will call in some favors and get one too! :D

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
BlueFox,
Can you elaborate why?

Because I like the appearance of the S5 better, and the S5 sounds so good in my living room. Plus I save approximately $630,000 with the S5, not counting the additional amps and cabling required for the U3. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Because I like the appearance of the S5 better, and the S5 sounds so good in my living room. Plus I save approximately $630,000 with the S5, not counting the additional amps and cabling required for the U3. :)

Great answer! The S5's are the best speakers I've ever heard. I marvel at their sound, appearance and build quality every day.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard the S 5 s extensively i think they sound great and refined albeit on a smaller scale , i wouldnt trade them for mine if i had the chance , there are different approaches and there are speakers that can sound big/ controlled/ refined and powerfull .
Although S 5 s can fill quite a room , there is something else out there , large scale speakersystems as discussed here.

Ps i would definetively use tubes on the S 5

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I heard the S 5 s extensively i think they sound great and refined albeit on a smaller scale , i wouldnt trade them for mine if i had the chance , there are different approaches and there are speakers that can sound big/ controlled/ refined and powerfull .
Although S 5 s can fill quite a room , there is something else out there , large scale speakersystems as discussed here.
I'm sure there are better speakers - I just haven't heard them. And I do agree about scale. I want a larger S5. :)

Ps i would definetively use tubes on the S 5
I would definitely not. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
since Verity can't sell many 30k speakers apparently, now it has gone the Asian billionaire route. interesting.

Perhaps that is because Magico sells so many S5s. The local Boston dealer sells both Verity and Magico. I once compared the brands. This is an interesting move for Verity. I wonder just how many +$200K speaker systems are sold each year.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
since Verity can't sell many 30k speakers apparently, now it has gone the Asian billionaire route. interesting.

High price is King.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
why not $1 million? I'm actually being serious. I can't imagine price elasticity is high at these pricing points.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Talking million $ systems its been done in the past , kharma designed a 1 million $ active system in the nineties somewhere iirc , a one of a kind job for a person in Belgium , the grand enigma system

This 12-ton system is fully active with 30 kW of amplification, equipped with 24 ultrahigh efficiency planar-magnetic HF-units, 24 15-inch LF drivers and 48 6-inch MF drivers. Placed in a specially prepared subterranean listening room of 45,000 cubic feet it presents sound with incredible dynamics and limitless power, easily reproducing live concert levels at a distance of 10 meters

kharma_grand_enigma by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

IF we were to compare this with any analog crossover. The results would have been even worse.

Let's face it there is no perfectly transparent transform. Whether one hears it is another debate. in the here and now however an (any) analog crossover on the issue of transparency ( I suppose by that you mean NO character of its own) is not a champion.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
IF we were to compare this with any analog crossover. The results would have been even worse.

Let's face it there is no perfectly transparent transform. Whether one hears it is another debate. in the here and now however an (any) analog crossover on the issue of transparency ( I suppose by that you mean NO character of its own) is not a champion.

Where do you base such a claim on

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing