The most expensive speaker at CES 2015? $500,000

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I read a rumor that Wilson is also developing a "super" speaker. I think it was discussed on one of the forums. Of course, I thought the XLF, Q7 etc were already super speakers, but now there are a few four tower statement systems like the MM7. I've read that people are stacking JL subs to form towers, so why wouldn't a manufacturer offer something in this segment?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I read a rumor that Wilson is also developing a "super" speaker. I think it was discussed on one of the forums. Of course, I thought the XLF, Q7 etc were already super speakers, but now there are a few four tower statement systems like the MM7. I've read that people are stacking JL subs to form towers, so why wouldn't a manufacturer offer something in this segment?

Especially with people willing to spend upward of $50 K for a speaker cable ...

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
My Revel studios measured a lot better than my Parsifals, but the latter sounded better. The Parsifals were then replaced with Eidolon Visions, which sounded better still.

You mean sounded better to you… We all have the right to like bad sound;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

i thought Dan D'Agostino was in AZ presenting to the local audiophile society and mentioned Wilson was working on releasing a new WAMM?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Next?

If we had any doubt that this is now a Luxury market...

Exactly.

How many of these do you think they will sell? Anyone think they will sell 25? 50? 100? 200? And how many folks will become millionaires by winning the lottery in your state or country in the next year?

Like a lot of upper end manufacturers, I think they've decided it may be easier and more lucrative to sell 10 pairs at 500K than 100 at 30K or 400 at 10K. It exactly and unsurprisingly mirrors what going on in society -- a shrinking middle with diminishing spending power, but more money at the absolute top.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Like a lot of upper end manufacturers, I think they've decided it may be easier and more lucrative to sell 10 pairs at 500K than 100 at 30K or 400 at 10K.

Exactly- which is a really poor business model. Ultimately I predict guys like Verity aren't going to make it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i thought Dan D'Agostino was in AZ presenting to the local audiophile society and mentioned Wilson was working on releasing a new WAMM?

That may have been it. I presumed the new speaker, perhaps a new WAMM, would be positioned above the XLF because the report I read hinted that it would be his last big effort before retirement. Then again, it may all just be conjecture. Or even idyl speculation on my part.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That may have been it. I presumed the new speaker, perhaps a new WAMM, would be positioned above the XLF because the report I read hinted that it would be his last big effort before retirement. Then again, it may all just be conjecture. Or even idyl speculation on my part.

Well, if it is going to be his last statement before retiring...it will likely be something to be reckoned for all time...sounds like fun

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I personally think , they should rank price versus systemmembrane surface in todays high$$ systems .
Anybody can put a certain pricetag on a system , regarding dave wilson i think he has done done a great job already , comparing a xlf system with thors hammer subs would be cool

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Exactly- which is a really poor business model. Ultimately I predict guys like Verity aren't going to make it.

I'm not so sure about that. They look nice and if they market them correctly they will sell them.

The middle market is $hit compared to what it used to be, and there are now many more extremely wealthy folks in the world. Those who are in the position to market extremely expensive luxury items may make some money right now.

Sound? Not sure that matters too much. ;) This is about image and luxury.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The middle market is $hit compared to what it used to be, and there are now many more extremely wealthy folks in the world. Those who are in the position to market extremely expensive luxury items may make some money right now.

Sound? Not sure that matters too much. ;) This is about image and luxury.

How would you define the middle market? $5-20K or $20-40K, or something else?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I heard the big Verity/Lamm system at CES. I didn't ask about or view the system listing, only noticing there was more amplification than usual. The sound was OK, probably very good, but knowing now the cost of the system I have to wonder. The front speaker drivers were up pretty high, which subjectively to me at least gave the impression of listening at a somewhat unnatural upward angle.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I agree. Look at Vandersteen. It looks like all of his efforts are on the Model 7 which keeps going up and up in price and those amps that match with them. I am sure that he doesn't have to sell many of either of them to make a killing. Sure a lot fewer than the other speakers in his line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing