Devialet 200 Enough for S5?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
How well will a Devialet 200 drive the S5s in a 6500cf room? Typically listen 85-90db.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
I want to believe it has a good chance of meeting my needs before I go to the trouble of shipping product around. As well, at $9500 the Dev looks like a deal; at $18k less so.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I think it will have enough power, the S5 is not very difficult to drive. Much less than Q1, Q5 and even S1. But I also think there are other amps which sound better (and I owned a Devialet D-Premier, that I used with both S1 and Q1).

Is it a good amp for its price? yes, very good.
will it be the limiting factor in your system? yes. Not because it is a bad amp, but because the S5 is so transparent that you hear better upstream components.
But you can always go for it, and upgrade it in a few years
PS: I personally think that the SAM is more marketing than anything else

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I think it will have enough power, the S5 is not very difficult to drive. Much less than Q1, Q5 and even S1. But I also think there are other amps which sound better (and I owned a Devialet D-Premier, that I used with both S1 and Q1).

Is it a good amp for its price? yes, very good.
will it be the limiting factor in your system? yes. Not because it is a bad amp, but because the S5 is so transparent that you hear better upstream components.
But you can always go for it, and upgrade it in a few years
PS: I personally think that the SAM is more marketing than anything else

http://en.devialet.com/speakers/magico/magico-s5

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
yes.. .as I said.... a nice marketing pitch to fix their own amp issue (protection against clipping).
+ some DSP intervention in the bass which is introducing artifacts and decreasing medium transparency.
But anyway, nobody is forced to use it so not a major issue.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
yes.. .as I said.... a nice marketing pitch to fix their own amp issue (protection against clipping).
+ some DSP intervention in the bass which is introducing artifacts and decreasing medium transparency.
But anyway, nobody is forced to use it so not a major issue.

I agree. Heard it on the S1 with and without. It was clearly more hifi sounding, and it lost some fluidity with the SAM. I did not like that at all, but I can see how people may think it is more impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing