Noise Stopper Plugs - Do you use them?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Marantz PM-KI-Pearl came with a full set of these plugs for use on any open/unused IC connections. I have not done a comparison yet to see if they make an actual audible difference, but from what I've read they are supposed to help lower the noise floor a bit. They are installed.

Are these plugs of more benefit to entry-level high-end gear or does it also make a difference with SOTA equipment?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It depends on how the switching is done... ideally both the signal and ground inputs are switched but often the grounds are not, in this case the shorting caps can be an advantage.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Johnny,

Totally worthwhile and audible from my experience. Haven't tried on more modest systems.

I have the Cardas caps without shorting plugs.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have used various shorting caps in the past but do not now. The only time I ever heard or measured a difference was in very poorly-designed equipment* in a high-RF field. Isolation among inputs is usually high to begin with and these would only reduce the impact of input noise coupling (which is normally far, far below a normal signal input). IME noise entry is far greater via other coupling routes than via unconnected inputs.

I have had a few components (preamps especially) that exhibited crosstalk high enough to hear faintly if the unused source was not turned off. Again, this was typically with the volume all the way up to hear a faint signal from another input, not anywhere near normal operation.

YMMV - Don

p.s. One example of a poor design was a phono stage that tended to ring and oscillate in the presence of high EMI/RFI if not terminated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing