Chemex Ottomatic

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
My wife is getting a little frustrated because she just ordered a Wilfa which also works with a chemex. I just know the chemex brand more so than Wilfa.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Best cup of coffee I've had. The Ottomatic simply automates the the respected "pour over" method to brewing coffee. All the parts are first class and there's no plastic parts touching the hot water or coffee. Here's a pic:
image.jpg

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Pour over coffee tastes similar to French press minus the bitterness. Also, the chemex filter removes all of the debris and sediment. It's a clean, bold and well balanced brew. There is a hot plate but it doesn't get that hot. It only stays warm. So, it's best to drink it as soon as it's ready. It takes about twice as long for the brewing process to finish compared to a normal automatic drip brewer. The Ottomatic mimmiks the proper pour over technique. Maybe a manual pour over could be even better, but i just don't have that much patience in the morning.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Pour over coffee tastes similar to French press minus the bitterness. Also, the chemex filter removes all of the debris and sediment. It's a clean, bold and well balanced brew. There is a hot plate but it doesn't get that hot. It only stays warm. So, it's best to drink it as soon as it's ready. It takes about twice as long for the brewing process to finish compared to a normal automatic drip brewer. The Ottomatic mimmiks the proper pour over technique. Maybe a manual pour over could be even better, but i just don't have that much patience in the morning.

Believe it or not, sometimes I like the sediment and when I want it I use my grandmother's stainless steel Cory vacuum pot. The Chemex (manual) definitely takes longer to brew than a regular pour-over drip because their filters really do filter extremely thoroughly and in my experience tend to clog because of it.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Can't argue with James Bond(Sir Sean Connery was the greatest Bond). Here's the proper Chemex method. The Ottomatic follows the start/stop and circular pouring patterns demonstrated here:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
You still loving the Chemex?

I have a techni vorm. Lots of plastic parts. The carafe leaks when you pour a cup or into the reservoir. It does make a good cup and hot plate keeps things at a good temp for 2 hours (all though the first cup tastes better than the last if you let it sit for 2 hours)

I might return the technivorm and try your Chemex...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've never had a coffee maker like a technivorm so I can't make that comparison. But it's safe to say the Chemex makes a unique cup of coffee. I personally find it to be a very refined cup of coffee

The only negatives I can find has to do with the machine; not the Chemex brewer. The Ottomatic leaves a little water in the tank, which requires me to manually drain it out on occasion. It's not a big deal, but you should know that. Also, the hot plate is more like a very warm plate. It's best to drink the coffee right away. If not, the temp will fall so that it's just warm after about 15 minutes. I think there's a rubber plug one can buy to keep it hotter but it may not work that well either. Overall, I'm very happy.

You still loving the Chemex?

I have a techni vorm. Lots of plastic parts. The carafe leaks when you pour a cup or into the reservoir. It does make a good cup and hot plate keeps things at a good temp for 2 hours (all though the first cup tastes better than the last if you let it sit for 2 hours)

I might return the technivorm and try your Chemex...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing