$100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The AF1 is a great table. I have two friends that own them. Calling the Walker an "old and tired design" is a bit of a cheap shot. Remember the cardinal rule of selling a product: Don't tell me what the competition does wrong, tell me what your product does well.

yes it was a poor choice of words....I apologize. What I meant was that the turntable in it's basic form has not really changed in over 11 years. It is still a beautiful piece and would love to hear one someday.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I have the big Kronos under evaluation, it's been in the system for a little over a month and I am smitten by it. My music sounds "right" with it. It has everything you would want in a super table... great bass, huge and multi layered staging, outstanding inner detail, great macro dynamics and it has soul. Plus Terry and I can dance right next to it and the needle stays where it should (we have a suspended floor). Did I mention it's 2/3 the price of the Walker or AF1?

View attachment 18179

I thought this thread was in relation to Walker and AFO - how quickly others seem to drop in talking about others :D maybe a new thread should be started by you guys.

Peter responding to your reply above saying you are "smitten" didn't you do a review a while back saying the second from the top turntable in Triangle Arts lineup was better than the Onedof table.

Don't want to get into a discussion on this page - best you start a new thread but wonder which version the Kronos you have is, there have been many iterations :D I had one in my system approx two years back now and didn't find it to be anything special, those flywheels "platters" spinning the opposite way didn't do much for me either - product doesn't have much of a local following and has been heard allot - wonder why?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
yes it was a poor choice of words....I apologize. What I meant was that the turntable in it's basic form has not really changed in over 11 years. It is still a beautiful piece and would love to hear one someday.

One could say this about the AF1. After all in its basic form its based on the 30+ year old SX-8000 ;)

Its the implementation and end result that is all that matters.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Personally a I have appreciation and respect for both designs, they both have many years of history behind them. Someone above already wrote that there are numerous factors that come into play such as set-up of the arm and cart and I agree. In my journey I have found there is no "BEST" just different and some will outperform in specific areas but again subjective, in the end as long as you are listening to music that's all that matters.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Retail price has nothing to do with it. Many manufacturers use ridiculous amounts of markup because people think that if it is more expensive, it must be better.

My turntable is 53K, which seems to be an insane amount, but the profit really isn't what you might expect. My friends say I pay myself fifty cents an hour. Considering that almost all incoming money goes back into the company, that is probably true. Dave Fletcher of SOTA and Sumiko fame once told me that if I wanted to make a million dollars in audio, I should invest two million. That's probably true, as well. Still, there are markets in the world that won't consider my offering because of its price. It's to inexpensive for them. Maybe some of the manufacturers you cite are charlatans, but some may set their prices high just so they can stay in the game where those markets are concerned. Me? I suppose I'll make a bigger and better turntable to appease those markets...one of these days.

There are tables that I have heard that are 5k that sound better than others at the much higher prices.

So true. I used to be amazed when a forty year-old turntable blew the doors off a current 40K one, but not anymore. I suppose the trick is in separating the hype from the real deal. Contrary to popular opinion, bling and gadgetry can co-exist with performance, but they don't define it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have the big Kronos under evaluation, it's been in the system for a little over a month and I am smitten by it. My music sounds "right" with it. It has everything you would want in a super table... great bass, huge and multi layered staging, outstanding inner detail, great macro dynamics and it has soul. Plus Terry and I can dance right next to it and the needle stays where it should (we have a suspended floor). Did I mention it's 2/3 the price of the Walker or AF1?

Peter, since you were the first to formally review the Walker, could you describe how you remember it sounding compared to the Kronos, or is that an impossible task given the completely different settings? Perhaps you could describe each's strengths.

Also, do you not mean that the Kronos is 1/3 the cost of the Walker and AF1? 2/3 would be $66,666. Is the Kronos really that expensive?

Last edited:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Johathan, Thanks for joining the discussion. Being in the industry with lots of experience and having heard many of these top tier tables numerous times in different settings, could you talk a bit about how the Wave Kinetics table differs from those already mentioned? I know that it is a Direct Drive system and usually heard with Durand arms.

There is also not much mention of the Kondo, The Beat with the Schroder LT arm. I would include it and the vintage Technics SP10 MK3 in the top tier.

I do not think it would be fair for me to hijack this thread and talk about my TT which is not really addressing the OP questions. I would be happy to discuss my thoughts off site with you. If you want to talk by phone, please pm me your phone number I will be happy to call you. That should be a fun conversation!

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Whats stopping you old man! I can only find one specification on the techdas af1, and it a wow and flutter of 0.03%. That's $300 class tt from 30 years ago. All you have to do is make it big and add a bunch of stuff to it that LOOKS good, as there is no requirement these days to produce a technical tour de force, only a visual tour de force. the high end is so absurd in some ways. And you don't even have to have a linear tracker which has obvious better tracking than a pivot system. Sorry, couldn't resist my disgust for sizzle and no steak. Yeah, its a cool looking, dare I say space age looking deck, that techdas af1, and I do like looks, but I prefer to know whats under the hood too.

Rolls Royce used to list their horsepower rating as "adequate", and it seemed to suffice, considering they have been around since 1925. The measurements of the 1970's seemed to have been more about marketing than substance, in my opinion. Are they viable today? If one can't hear the rumble, does its measurement matter? Einstein said, "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." It's true.

Aside from that, I suspect turntables are one place where the wrong things happen to be the ones that were measured in the past. How can we measure the differences when those differences don't even have names? That reminds me of an Edison quote, "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything." He was right, too. After reverse engineering a lot of turntables, I am convinced that most of them were built wrong, but if I can't quantify that belief with empirical data, what good is it? Catch-22.

All I can hope for is a result that resounds with others in a meaningful way.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Peter, since you were the first to formally review the Walker, could you describe how you remember it sounding compared to the Kronos, or is that an impossible task given the completely different settings? Perhaps you could describe each's strengths.

Also, do you not mean that the Kronos is 1/3 the cost of the Walker and AF1? 2/3 would be $66,666. Is the Kronos really that expensive?

I meant to say it's 2/3 less the price. I can't compare with any accuracy the specifics of the Walker to another table (the Walker left the system years ago) except to say that the Walker had more in your face detail while the Kronos has more soul and layered detail. My Walker was one of the first, today's Walkers are more refined. What I can say is the Kronos is superior if you require instant push button starting... the Walker takes time for the air pressures to build up.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I do not think it would be fair for me to hijack this thread and talk about my TT which is not really addressing the OP questions. I would be happy to discuss my thoughts off site with you. If you want to talk by phone, please pm me your phone number I will be happy to call you. That should be a fun conversation!

Thanks, jtinn. I'll try to contact you.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, gentlemen. It's time for the green ink. Please refrain from personal comments and stick solely to any technical merits that would be constructive to the conversation. Consider this a formal warning to all involved with this thread. Any more nonconstructive interruptions will yield a 3 day involuntary vacation from the WBF. I hope I have made myself perfectly clear. Cordial participation is a key point of being a member of this forum, we are all better than some of the examples seen on this thread.

Tom

Please note: Any and all irrelevant posts have been deleted as of 10:00 tonight.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
.03% come on Tom. Enlighten us. What does this translate to in pitch and tempo inaccuracy? This is only .005 off the most iconic DJ table of all time. I can beat match a good half a minute with a 1200, analogous to a perfect null for 30 SECONDS, 16 ROTATIONS, keeping over 3000 beats of a slow tempo song. That with a slip mat that I'm pretty sure worsens the W&F figures due to stylus drag.

Sorry man. TechDAS owner or not. In practical terms this is just trolling to me. The money spent on vibration is better spent rather than to go nuts on a figure you will never find objectionable in terms of actual usage, the example given being the most extreme use of a turntable imaginable. Spend it on what can be heard.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Christian feels SOTA is what ?I don't know, (...)

I am sure his UHA Phase 11S RTR playing copies of mastertapes is SOTA in stereo sound reproduction.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
.03% come on Tom. Enlighten us. What does this translate to in pitch and tempo inaccuracy? This is only .005 off the most iconic DJ table of all time. I can beat match a good half a minute with a 1200...

I submit to you that once again the wrong thing is being measured. Many people can hear a jitter in the 1200. It is never measured, but it exists, and it makes the DJ table exactly that, a DJ table. The problem also manifests itself as a loss of dynamics, and that is apparent to the discerning listener in the SP10, as well. How does the 100K table sound? I don't know, but I suspect it performs on a tier several grades higher than broadcast and DJ tables of the past. At least, it should.

The issue with blanket speed measurements is that they do not take feedback into consideration. Holding an exact 33-1/3 RPM by specification doesn't prove that it is exactly that. Those minute spaces when feedback corrects do matter. Motor cogging also matters.

Turntables are deceptively simple beasts. There is more than meets the eye, a lot more.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am sure his UHA Phase 11S RTR playing copies of mastertapes is SOTA in stereo sound reproduction.

The issue I have with Tom and his comments is that he takes every possible opportunity to disparage vinyl playback because to him....the measurements of TT's implies that digital playback measurements are superior and that translates to the best sound. Further if you think vinyl sounds better is because you love distortion. The other issue...he has no experience with even the middle class of turntable's and uses the 1200 as representative of the best vinyl playback has to offer. No credibility hence my Ethan analogy.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
I meant to say it's 2/3 less the price. I can't compare with any accuracy the specifics of the Walker to another table (the Walker left the system years ago) except to say that the Walker had more in your face detail while the Kronos has more soul and layered detail. My Walker was one of the first, today's Walkers are more refined. What I can say is the Kronos is superior if you require instant push button starting... the Walker takes time for the air pressures to build up.

Yes 1/3 the price.

I have had really tough time trying to explain the sound of this table. Its so smooth and quiet, but not boring. Tons of boppity bop and life, but not forward. Super deep bass, but not bass heavy. It just sound so right to my ears, I love it.

At 1/6 the price, I am looking forward to spending some time with the AMG next.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I am glad to hear you have experience with even the middle class of TT and you say I don't. Well, by middle class you mean what exactly? What exactly qualifies your TT as sounding better than a so called middle class TT? So, here is your chance to inform a guy like me and probably all the TT designers out there just what makes a TT sound good and what then by default makes them not "sound" good. Can you also hear the lateral tracking error and the errors caused by fixed pivot arms? If you can not, then there are a couple of distortions on your deck that you can not hear. Can you hear tracing distortion on your deck? Can you hear inner groove distortion on your deck? Can you hear the several percent IMD distortion on your cartridge? That is "sound" and that is reality. I cant hear all of those specific things on my deck (but IMD and basic distortion yes) and I don't think I ever could. I can hear what my cartridges bring to the table and they don't sound the same, so either one is perfect or they are both imperfect. Its not that hard really to talk about sound, but to understand it is another thing all together different, and that's the road I am on, whether listening or designing. And while I can colour sound, it is extremely hard to reproduce sound as exact as one would hope for in real advancements that are measurable.

Perhaps this would be better suited for another thread Tom.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I submit to you that once again the wrong thing is being measured. Many people can hear a jitter in the 1200. It is never measured, but it exists, and it makes the DJ table exactly that, a DJ table. The problem also manifests itself as a loss of dynamics, and that is apparent to the discerning listener in the SP10, as well. How does the 100K table sound? I don't know, but I suspect it performs on a tier several grades higher than broadcast and DJ tables of the past. At least, it should.

The issue with blanket speed measurements is that they do not take feedback into consideration. Holding an exact 33-1/3 RPM by specification doesn't prove that it is exactly that. Those minute spaces when feedback corrects do matter. Motor cogging also matters.

Turntables are deceptively simple beasts. There is more than meets the eye, a lot more.

I don't disagree with anything you say Win. My point is simply that a solitary figure can't tell an entire story.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) You don't have my ears and I don't have yours nor the same ear brain interface or the same room or gear etc so why would I pay any mind to your idea of the best sound any more than I do to any one elses? And I have never heard any stereo sound like real music unless I left the room and maybe listened down stairs or in another room to be specific to the OP of this thread. If you think vinyl sounds better, its because you like the effects of the distortion produced in the vinyl playback chain more than the distortions produced in the digital playback chain, and frankly, it more comes down to mastering as I have recorded my vinyl onto 24/96 digital and played it back on three different headphones and two stereo systems and also with the help of a few teenagers that hear HF way better than me and we all arrived at the conclusion that the digital sounded the same as best we could tell, thus digital can reproduce the distortions of vinyl well enough but the other way round sure cant happen. So, now you can please quote me directly and in context in future and feel free to use this post as a reference. Folks will find that in my nearly 3 thousand posts I have been consistent.
(...)

Tom,

Well, this is just one of the many reductionist perspectives I have read in an audio forum. The only reason I am in WBF is to learn about other experiences and share my opinions, participating in debates about our different views of the hobby. IMHO learning means I read about others experiences and style, and I weight their contributions according to my criteria. Although this forum is intrinsically a democracy, I will not valuate the posts of someone who has more than 4000 posts and participated in many high end debates, showing a great coherency of views with several other posters I come to respect, in the same way I valuate those of people who almost never have reported anything positive about high-end.

Using the old worn-out argument that nothing sounds like real music unless someone leaves the room completely ignores what is stereo sound reproduction or just suggests the author is playing with words. Anyway we could learn that for the effect of comparing digital to analog in the unknown conditions you refer your ears are as good as those of the few teenagers. As usual, all IMHO and YMMV.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tom,

Well, this is just one of the many reductionist perspectives I have read in an audio forum. The only reason I am in WBF is to learn about other experiences and share my opinions, participating in debates about our different views of the hobby. IMHO learning means I read about others experiences and style, and I weight their contributions according to my criteria. Although this forum is intrinsically a democracy, I will not valuate the posts of someone who has more than 4000 posts and participated in many high end debates, showing a great coherency of views with several other posters I come to respect, in the same way I valuate those of people who almost never have reported anything positive about high-end.

Using the old worn-out argument that nothing sounds like real music unless someone leaves the room completely ignores what is stereo sound reproduction or just suggests the author is playing with words. Anyway we could learn that for the effect of comparing digital to analog in the unknown conditions you refer your ears are as good as those of the few teenagers. As usual, all IMHO and YMMV.

Microstrip, this may be in your humble opinion, but I agree with you 100%. Well written.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing