$100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Loheswaran, do you think both the TechDas and the Walker have speed accuracy and/or consistency problems? I've heard both tables, and I heard no speed issues with either. I once started a thread addressing the speed issue and posted some videos showing results using a TimeLine strobe. At the time, I think owners of both turntables suggested that they would post videos. None came. Nor are there any videos of some of the better DD tables - VPI, Dobbins, Wave Kinetics, or Technics SP10 MK3.

Or is there another reason that you prefer DD?

Peter, TechDas AF1 does not have any speed accuracy and/or consistency problems? So far this table has provided the best results that I have tested to date.

Lets stay on topic and not hi-jack this thread, you should post your own new thread if you want to discuss and compare such.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
personal pm to dev

Loheswaran, sorry you feel offended. Your last 2 postings having nothing to do with the opening tile of this thread titled;

"$100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?"

Nothing worse than reading postings from individuals whom have no first hand experience with said product - a suggestion would be to just start your own thread.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe the OP and half of the posters in this thread who don't own either of these TT's, or have heard both, should excuse themselves. Is this an exclusive TechDAS/Walker owner thread?

Not trying to moderate....:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Your posts come across trolling big time, why do you post such nonsense with no direct experience. Obviously neither of your two posting have anything to offer in relation to the topic at hand which is against WBF rules. You haven't had either table in your own system so you absolutely have no clue - you make reference to dd tables of preference, good for you do enjoy. Wave Kinetics that's too funny! LOL

Maybe the OP and half of the posters in this thread who don't own either of these TT's, or have heard both, should excuse themselves. Is this an exclusive TechDAS/Walker owner thread?

Not trying to moderate....:)

:D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, TechDas AF1 does not have any speed accuracy and/or consistency problems? So far this table has provided the best results that I have tested to date.

Lets stay on topic and not hi-jack this thread, you should post your own new thread if you want to discuss and compare such.

DEV, I don't understand your point. What does "TechDas AF1 does not have any speed accuracy and/or consistency problems?" mean? I wrote that I have heard both the TechDas AF1 and the Walker and I heard NO speed accuracy or consistency problems with either table. I did not measure them with instruments, but the speed of both turntables seemed fine to me. I think I was pretty clear about that.

I repeat what I wrote earlier, I heard no speed issues with these turntables. I am making no attempt to hi jack this thread or to stray from the topic of this thread. The thread is about these two tables. I questioned someone else who wrote that he would not buy them because he prefers DD tables. I wanted to know his reasoning and he wrote that belt drive tables are "fundamentally flawed" in his opinion.

Perhaps you should talk to him.

And I already started a thread about turntable speed a while back.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In pursuance of what Keith said and if u look at my post I was giving an opinion. Simply put belt drives have theoretically fundamental flaws insofar as: the belt is a variable and is a further moving part; the pulley is a further component; belts can slip due to corrosion and dust collection; belts pliance can change with temperature; belts tension a bearing onto one side unless multiple pulleys are used - which then lead to more components and therefore more variables and potential for play; belts are - in cheaper decks - used to isolate motor vibrations due to inherent motor problems such as rotation at 250 rpm. I will - like I said before say I have not heard either in earnest - my view is on the basis of what I believe to be fundamental flaws in belt drive decks vs direct drive - I have both - I may well be wrong, but I believe that fundamentally direct drive is a better engineering solution and if I had that kind of money I would get a dd like the one mike lavigne has - the wave kinetics

Anyone knowing how a direct drive works would tell you that servo theory is a fundamental flaw of DDs. IMHO all systems have "fundamental flaws" :confused: - what separates them is how well designers manage to overcame them.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV, I don't understand your point. What does "TechDas AF1 does not have any speed accuracy and/or consistency problems?" mean? I wrote that I have heard both the TechDas AF1 and the Walker and I heard NO speed accuracy or consistency problems with either table. I did not measure them with instruments, but the speed of both turntables seemed fine to me. I think I was pretty clear about that.

I repeat what I wrote earlier, I heard no speed issues with these turntables. I am making no attempt to hi jack this thread or to stray from the topic of this thread. The thread is about these two tables. .

Peter, I was just confirming the AF1 does not have any speed accuracy and/or consistency problems and that's it, maybe the ? was confusing ;) my bad should not have been there.

I questioned someone else who wrote that he would not buy them because he prefers DD tables. I wanted to know his reasoning and he wrote that belt drive tables are "fundamentally flawed" in his opinion.

Perhaps you should talk to him.

And I already started a thread about turntable speed a while back.

Peter, that person first off should start their own thread or you guys could pm each other - just a thought. This person admits he has not even had either tables in his own set-up and only made remarks of hearing the AF1's little brother the AF2 which is not apart of the discussion and that's it, so honestly has nothing to offer. I enjoy what I call real discussions on these forums and not just hot air with no real first hand experience but instead individuals feel the need of pushing those keys.

This thread is about two serious tables and anyone belittling them well that's ...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
You have a point

Anyone knowing how a direct drive works would tell you that servo theory is a fundamental flaw of DDs. IMHO all systems have "fundamental flaws" :confused: - what separates them is how well designers manage to overcame them.

Hi Microstrip - that is a fair point. I am speaking from the experience I have of the decks I have. It comes to execution, I just prefer the DD compromises over the belt drive compromises - this discussion could go on and on - I suppose that is what forums are for.

Coming back on topic the two decks are not the sort that one fits in and out of systems in the way one would swap phono stages or pre-amps - even the most well heeled are unlikely to do this so comparing the same decks in the same system whilst theoretically a sound (if you don't mind the pun) idea, and possible, a bit like Nadal and Federer playing doubles together - the likelihood is...

It's for that reason that I made my first post on this thread - which relates to what had the designer of each deck intended - what was the sound they were after - finding out does it accord to what you consider to be important. You don't buy tickets to Mozart then turn up at a Korn concert.

BTW Dev (whatever your real name is) I do not appreciate being called Shrek:p

Try reading a post before connecting your typing hands to your fervent accusative mind;)

Loheswaran

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shrek is an Ogre :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Microstrip - that is a fair point. I am speaking from the experience I have of the decks I have. It comes to execution, I just prefer the DD compromises over the belt drive compromises - this discussion could go on and on - I suppose that is what forums are for.

Coming back on topic the two decks are not the sort that one fits in and out of systems in the way one would swap phono stages or pre-amps - even the most well heeled are unlikely to do this so comparing the same decks in the same system whilst theoretically a sound (if you don't mind the pun) idea, and possible, a bit like Nadal and Federer playing doubles together - the likelihood is...

It's for that reason that I made my first post on this thread - which relates to what had the designer of each deck intended - what was the sound they were after - finding out does it accord to what you consider to be important. You don't buy tickets to Mozart then turn up at a Korn concert.

BTW Dev (whatever your real name is) I do not appreciate being called Shrek:p

Try reading a post before connecting your typing hands to your fervent accusative mind;)

Loheswaran

Okay I'll bite :p, see below you wrote;

I have only heard the AF2 (too briefly I might add in a rather busy room too) never heard the Walker.

I can clearly read what you are posting and it's VERY clear you have not heard either the Walker nor the AF1 and really not even the AF2, you actually say such in your first post.

but I would buy neither - I'd get a DD for that kind of money

In that post you clearly keep referring to preferring DD. LOL:D:D when you haven't even heard ANY of the others so how in the heck can you make such a BOLD statement is beyond me :eek::eek:- your posts on this forum just don't add anything to the opening thread which is

$100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?

then you go on to say;

Simply put belt drives have theoretically fundamental flaws insofar as: the belt is a variable and is a further moving part; the pulley is a further component; belts can slip due to corrosion and dust collection; belts pliance can change with temperature; belts tension a bearing onto one side unless multiple pulleys are used - which then lead to more components and therefore more variables and potential for play; belts are - in cheaper decks - used to isolate motor vibrations due to inherent motor problems such as rotation at 250 rpm. I will - like I said before say I have not heard either in earnest - my view is on the basis of what I believe to be fundamental flaws in belt drive decks vs direct drive - I have both - I may well be wrong, but I believe that fundamentally direct drive is a better engineering solution and if I had that kind of money I would get a dd like the one mike lavigne has - the wave kinetics

This being your second posting above, again what does this have to do with $100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?

Nothing and to add again you are promoting dd tables but have never actually heard the others :eek:- So what does one call your posting - sorry but I call a spade a spade :p

I have heard the Walker - actually owned one and I have heard the AF1 - I actually currently own one :D You have a great day!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Okay I'll bite :p, see below you wrote;

I can clearly read what you are posting and it's VERY clear you have not heard either the Walker nor the AF1 and really not even the AF2, you actually say such in your first post.

In that post you clearly keep referring to preferring DD. LOL:D:D when you haven't even heard ANY of the others so how in the heck can you make such a BOLD statement is beyond me :eek::eek:- your posts on this forum just don't add anything to the opening thread which is

then you go on to say;

This being your second posting above, again what does this have to do with $100K Tables - TechDAS AF1 vs. Walker Proscenium? Which sounds more like real music?

Nothing and to add again you are promoting dd tables but have never actually heard the others :eek:- So what does one call your posting - sorry but I call a spade a spade :p

I have heard the Walker - actually owned one and I have heard the AF1 - I actually currently own one :D You have a great day!

What motivated you to replace the Walker by AF1? Maybe practical matters or do you actually prefer the sound of the latter? If it is indeed a preference from a sound perspective, can you please describe in what way the AF1 bettered the Walker in your opinion?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
What motivated you to replace the Walker by AF1? Maybe practical matters or do you actually prefer the sound of the latter? If it is indeed a preference from a sound perspective, can you please describe in what way the AF1 bettered the Walker in your opinion?

I did not replace the Walker for the AF1, I did not hear both with the same electronics in my system so I can't offer any comments, the Walker is a marvelous table.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I did not replace the Walker for the AF1, I did not hear both with the same electronics in my system so I can't offer any comments, the Walker is a marvelous table.

Dev, what did you replace the Walker TT with and why? And, is your AF1 still for sale? Any word about when and if the AF Zero will be available?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev, what did you replace the Walker TT with and why? And, is your AF1 still for sale? Any word about when and if the AF Zero will be available?

Teres Audio Certus 450 with matching stand, unfortunately due to some issues.

Yes my AF1 is still for sale, lots of inquiries but I'm surprised I haven't received any serious offers. AF Zero - pretty quiet ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing