Schroder LT x Kuzma 4 point x Graham Elite x SME V-12

Which of these tonearms is the best?

• Total voters

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Excellent Arm --great choice--congrats-- up there in all aspects with the Kuzma---both better than the other alternative also

Good listening

BruceD

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hello,

Thank you everyone for your input, both here and by PM! Greatly appreciated!

I decided to purchase a Schroder LT and just received it today. It seems like all four tonearms that I listed (besides some that I did not list) are top notch, but I liked the concept of the Schroder LT and the great recommendations.

Regarding the cartridge, I decided to go with the Lyra Atlas. The main reason is that it is known to work well with the Schroder LT. I expect to buy a Lyra Atlas during March or April.

Cheers,

VPN

View attachment 19046

How do you like the tonearm?

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
How do you like the tonearm?

Hello,

I like it very much. I have not heard any other tonearm in my system, so no way of comparing. Steve Dobbins came to my home (in São Paulo) to perform the setup and to teach me how to do it. Great guy, knows a lot about turntables, tonearms, analog and audio in general.

The analog front end sound is different from my DAC (Playback Designs MPS-5), being a bit more natural, having a bit more air, and a bit better soundstage.

I am still trying different power cables and RCA interconnects with the phono preamp (Tom Evans Mastergroove mk.2). They all make a difference. I am currently using a Echole Obsession RCA and a NBS Black Label II power cable directly to the wall (no conditioner).

Cheers,

VPN

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I want to get another arm for my table but I'm undecided between the Graham and Kuzma

Hi Bruce,

Did you ever get another tonearm?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello,

After several years, I decided to get out of analog, not because I don't like it, but to focus my resources on digital, and I am putting my Schroder LT on sale.
Cheers,

VPN

Digital is difficult. Once you get into streamers, clocks, hard drives, Ethernet cables, jitter reduction, you will be wishing again for the vinyl cleaner, stylus cleaner, VTA, SRA, etc.

Reactions: Puroplatino

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Digital is difficult. Once you get into streamers, clocks, hard drives, Ethernet cables, jitter reduction, you will be wishing again for the vinyl cleaner, stylus cleaner, VTA, SRA, etc.

It totally depends on what you’re talking about. Digital is “difficult” if you’re going to sweat the sound of every wire and interface. If you’re not, then digital is more “plug and play” than analog. Analog is much more organic and tweaky and adjustable.

Putting it differently, you can be tweaky with digital only if you want to. With analog I think there is no choice but to be tweaky because vinyl playback has so many requirements for adjustments and settings.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It totally depends on what you’re talking about. Digital is “difficult” if you’re going to sweat the sound of every wire and interface. If you’re not, then digital is much more “plug and play” than analog, which is much more organic and tweaky and adjustable.

Sorry I was not being serious

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hahaha, my mistake! :D

PS: Look how far I’ve come: taking seriously the tweakiness of digital!

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If I was not into some quality performances extremely well recorded on analog, I would stick to digital. Then the only motivation for me to get into analog would have been audiophile tweaking

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe Blue58 has over 700 combinations of SGM filter settings and upscalings he can choose on the fly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I was not into some quality performances extremely well recorded on analog, I would stick to digital. Then the only motivation for me to get into analog would have been audiophile tweaking

Are you still joking? :)

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you still joking? :)

Please note when I say digital I mean Lampi, not digital.

My hierarchy is

Excellent analog performances well recorded on excellent analog
Lampi
Normal recordings on analog, can move to position 2 on a day that starts align, or a stellar set up like Mike's.
Digital

tape can move up or down 1 or 2 across the range depending on the performance x recording played

Reactions: Puroplatino

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I believe Blue58 has over 700 combinations of SGM filter settings and upscalings he can choose on the fly.

Anyone who can manage 700 combinations can fly

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
I want to point out that the Schroeder has a wooden arm wand and the others mentioned do not. This avoids the 'ringing' effect which adds a measurable distortion to the sound. The Atlas with the Schroeder is an excellent choice, same as Frank uses himself I believe. Its the wooden arm beam in the Schroeder and in the Durand which puts them up there.

OK, vinyl at this level is not plug and play but its tuning the setup and hearing it respond that is so satisfying.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I want to point out that the Schroeder has a wooden arm wand and the others mentioned do not. This avoids the 'ringing' effect which adds a measurable distortion to the sound. The Atlas with the Schroeder is an excellent choice, same as Frank uses himself I believe. Its the wooden arm beam in the Schroeder and in the Durand which puts them up there.

OK, vinyl at this level is not plug and play but its tuning the setup and hearing it respond that is so satisfying.

How easy is it to set up and maintain.

Steve Dobbins variant has a magnesium wand

Last edited:

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
How easy is it to set up and maintain.

My Schroeder Reference is a brute. Someone once said if you open a window you can throw it out of adjustment. Over the years I have learned a lot about it and can keep the settings up there. It’s not an arm for a novice, put it that way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing