The Maxx 3 will soon be in my system!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Ha! I'm waiting for that literally, as the oil companies are doing area analysis and my land, 106 acres, is right in the middle of the oil finds, according to the map. They keep paying me every couple of years so that they can drill, but haven't yet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ha! I'm waiting for that literally, as the oil companies are doing area analysis and my land, 106 acres, is right in the middle of the oil finds, according to the map. They keep paying me every couple of years so that they can drill, but haven't yet.

116 acres Steve??

Wow

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Paint booth yesterday!

Attachments

• IMG_7550.JPG
    IMG_7550.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 316
  • Maxx 3 woofer cabinets painted.jpg
    Maxx 3 woofer cabinets painted.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Maxx midrange tweeter modules painted.jpg
    Maxx midrange tweeter modules painted.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
More pictures of #517 and #518

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Maxx 3 in crates 1.jpg
    Maxx 3 in crates 1.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Maxx 3 in crates 2.jpg
    Maxx 3 in crates 2.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Installed and voiced for the room. Sorry it was a quick snapshot.

Attachments

• 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 187

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Mezzo center powered by Levinson 433. The Levinson 335 powers the Maxx 3's.

Attachments

• 45.JPG
    45.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 183

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Preamp processor is a Classe SSP-800.

Attachments

• 49.JPG
    49.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 183

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
My dream amps on loan. The dealer brought them over along with a pair of Transparent Reference MM2 speaker cable to listen on my Maxx 3's,LOL. He's setting up the amps in his store along with the Alexandria XLF.

Attachments

• 55.JPG
    55.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 275

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Any comments on the differences in sound ?

Between my Levinson amp and the D'Agostino Momentum? I would say the low end was dynamic on both amps. Neither one had "better" bass, as both controlled the low end easily. However, in the midrange and treble is where there was a huge difference of improvement to my ears. The 335 can occasionally sound a bit "cold" or slightly "dark" in the midrange depending on the recording. Not the old veiled Levinson darkness, I went thru that stage when I owned the ML 9. It just misses that last bit of sweetness and open air sound on top. Warmth I guess would be the most descriptive word to use at this time. With the Momentum monoblocks the instruments took on air and space in the recording that I swear wasn't present before. I guess the term would be layered? I could hear each individual one in their assigned spot in the recording. They never seemed to become "congested", especially when the amps were pushed hard. Vocals especially female were presented with a warmth and also able to hear the air in the vocals on several recordings. It was if they were floating in space. Of course a better overall soundstage with the monoblocks. I hate to use the term but more "natural", or organic on playback. I am still enjoying my Levinson amps, but now understand what happens when you step up to the next level! Maybe my Christmas present perhaps?

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Beautiful setup!, Enjoy!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thanks Sonus. I'm happy to finally get my system built up. Having the time now to finally sit down and enjoy it helps.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Between my Levinson amp and the D'Agostino Momentum? I would say the low end was dynamic on both amps. Neither one had "better" bass, as both controlled the low end easily. However, in the midrange and treble is where there was a huge difference of improvement to my ears. The 335 can occasionally sound a bit "cold" or slightly "dark" in the midrange depending on the recording. Not the old veiled Levinson darkness, I went thru that stage when I owned the ML 9. It just misses that last bit of sweetness and open air sound on top. Warmth I guess would be the most descriptive word to use at this time. With the Momentum monoblocks the instruments took on air and space in the recording that I swear wasn't present before. I guess the term would be layered? I could hear each individual one in their assigned spot in the recording. They never seemed to become "congested", especially when the amps were pushed hard. Vocals especially female were presented with a warmth and also able to hear the air in the vocals on several recordings. It was if they were floating in space. Of course a better overall soundstage with the monoblocks. I hate to use the term but more "natural", or organic on playback. I am still enjoying my Levinson amps, but now understand what happens when you step up to the next level! Maybe my Christmas present perhaps?

The Stereo Momentum drives the Maxx3's with ease as well if you can't stump up for the mono blocks :D

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
The Stereo Momentum drives the Maxx3's with ease as well if you can't stump up for the mono blocks :D

Thanks XV-1. I am going to try and "borrow" the Stereo Momentum from my dealer once my new cables arrive from Transparent next week. I need a solid day to really get a better feeling of the amps.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks XV-1. I am going to try and "borrow" the Stereo Momentum from my dealer once my new cables arrive from Transparent next week. I need a solid day to really get a better feeling of the amps.

At least try to have them for the weekend. One day demo's are hard.

keep us updated on your audio travels :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing