Does anyone use the Linn Klimax DS

jmhenrie

Aug 22, 2014
omak washington
I am currently streaming my snynology NAS to My Oppo 105 then my Classe SSP800, via either Balanced Cables to use the Oppo DAC, or via hdmi to use my Classe DAC for High resolution audio, my nearest audio dealer 5 hours away says the best DAC for streaming from a NAS is the Linn Klimax DS (pretty spendy option). Is it worth it or are there other options that will better the Oppo/Classe option.
thanks for any opinions
Mike

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012
Mike, Along with the Linn streamers, you might want to check out Lumin's lineup.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Lumin streamers are cheaper. I used to have a Linn Akurate DS, and recently heard the lower end Lumin in a friends system. It totally reminded me of the Linn I used to have. Lumin has copied Linn very closely in parts, looks, and sound apparently.

The Akurate DS was pretty good but I'm getting better sound with my Exasound E20 DAC with 82 fs clock.

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
The Lumin streamers are cheaper. I used to have a Linn Akurate DS, and recently heard the lower end Lumin in a friends system. It totally reminded me of the Linn I used to have. Lumin has copied Linn very closely in parts, looks, and sound apparently.

The Akurate DS was pretty good but I'm getting better sound with my Exasound E20 DAC with 82 fs clock.

Hi ,yes i have the Linn DS Klimax Katalyst streamer and enjoy it very much ,It is a big step up from previous Klimax products and massive leap above the Akurate model which will get some form of a Katalyst upgrade in the near future.
Regards Russ

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Linn Klimax

Hi ,yes i have the Linn DS Klimax Katalyst streamer and enjoy it very much ,It is a big step up from previous Klimax products and massive leap above the Akurate model which will get some form of a Katalyst upgrade in the near future.
Regards Russ

I have the Linn Klimax DSM and felt it outperformed dcs products during demos in my home.
Once its set up properly, its easy!
Love it!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have the Linn Klimax DSM and felt it outperformed dcs products during demos in my home.
Once its set up properly, its easy!
Love it!

+1.
Same experience here too.
Now that it supports DSD, and with Roon support coming soon, the Klimax is definitely a contender. Shame most people don't get to hear it...

germanchu

Oct 27, 2015
Klimax Katalyst at home driving a pair of Cello Encore 150 power amplifier, and the new Katalyst is probably the best digital source i have ever listened.
The upgraded to Katalyst is the bigger step ahead in my system, superb sound.

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
+1.
Same experience here too.
Now that it supports DSD, and with Roon support coming soon, the Klimax is definitely a contender. Shame most people don't get to hear it...
I wonder if it's going to support Roon in the core mode, such that you don't need to run Roon on your computer or some other source, but rather directly from the DSM.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
+1.

Now that it supports DSD

Wow I had missed that! I used to own the previous two generations of the KDS and remember Linn being very negative about DSD. What do you think of DSD playback on the Klimax DS/DSM?

Guillaume

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow I had missed that! I used to own the previous two generations of the KDS and remember Linn being very negative about DSD. What do you think of DSD playback on the Klimax DS/DSM?

Guillaume

It is REALLY good! It doesn't get converted to PCM, as they've programmde the FPGA to feed the DSD data directly to the AKM chip. That's why DSD is only available on Katalyst (new platform, with speedy FPGA+compatible AKM chip).

I've compared the same tracks, CD and SACD/DSD version, like I do in most DACs, to seee if the nature/character of DSD comes across, and it does in spades!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I wonder if it's going to support Roon in the core mode, such that you don't need to run Roon on your computer or some other source, but rather directly from the DSM.

Roon Core requires a very capable CPU/computer. No FPGAs can run Roon Core, so no DACs can. Linn will be a Roon Player/Endpoint, like most devices out there. You'll still need a Roon Core server like the Innuos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing