Oppo BDP-105D/Modwright Truth/Tubes

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
A new Oppo BDP-105D player with the Modwright Truth modification and the Bybee Rail and the Audio Magic options will arrive tomorrow. It, and the PS, will immediately be placed on Stillpoint Ultra SS footers. After a few weeks, I will be looking to upgrade the tubes. Specific recommendations on what to get (and where to get them) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Have you looked the other threads listed below? ("Similar threads"). There is also a Modwright forum at www.audiocircle.com where there are at least two related topics.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Have you looked the other threads listed below? ("Similar threads"). There is also a Modwright forum at www.audiocircle.com where there are at least two related topics.

Thanks, and yes I have read them all. I was just looking for any new or additional wisdom from WBF members. I should perhaps add a "value" criteria as I probably won't seek out expensive NOS. And where to find them.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I haven't read anything new anywhere else. There is a topic thread in Vacuum Tubes for suppliers. From my wanderings, it appears the better NOS 6SN7's are disappearing and/or increasing in price; no surprise.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
It is a wonderful sounding player, more than exceeding my expectations. The upgrading of the tubes in the Modwright circuitry further improved it's SQ.

There is a built-in volume control in the Oppo's remote, so I would expect it would drive your amps without a pre, but have not tried it in that mode.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing