Will Analog be better than my high end digital?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Music is test tones, just lots and lots of them put together in different and interesting ways

Respectfully disagree.

Music which arrives via sound pressures waves is a single entity. It is only through an abstraction of mathematical formulas that this is represented as a series or set of individual sine waves. This is an abstraction at best.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Respectfully disagree. Virtually any musical envelope waveform can be represented by the sum of multiple sine waves. That's not to say that accurate reproduction of sine waves guarantees accurate reproduction of music, but it does suggest (almost to the point of certainty) that accurate reproduction of music first requires accurate reproduction of sine waves.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Although many audiophiles feel the Technics 1200 is a good table worth far more in parts and performance than it ever cost, I'm with Jack here in saying I never heard one sound "good" (compared to, for example, an old LP12 or even an early VPI) no matter how modified. So before buying a pricey phone pre, get a pre for $300 or less (used, probably) and see what you think of the sound. IMHO you'll end up wanting a much better table/arm if you like the sound, and (again IMHO) even some of the newer inexpensive phono preamps are of a much better sound quality than your table/arm.

Like the $400 iFi iPhono?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I say just take it out an set it up (ask for help if need be). Enjoy it for what it is just now. If you like it then you can always explore better options.

I'm 95% analogue, but I'm starting to enjoy the digital format (in between turntables at the moment) and I'm having a wonderful time with my very old H/K DVD47 (CD/DAD-A/SACD) player. I've been selectively burning some of my FLAC files onto CD for playback through my main rig and I'm having a blast. My digital front-end is poor, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
How about:
Virtually any musical envelope waveform can be represented by the sum of multiple sine waves.
Music arrives via sound pressures waves to a microphone, that then converts it to a electrical signal which is a single entity.
The loudspeaker then converts this single entity back to multiple sine waves in the room.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Personally I can tell you that my love for audio and music returned when I started buying and listening to vinyl and tapes again.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
^^ This.

If you are recording and playing back test tones, then digital is perfect. If you want to record and play back real vocalists and instruments that have pesky transients and harmonics outside the 20-20K FFT derived facsimile then you might like to try a good analog rig. I suppose musicality could be termed a vinyl "coloration".

But seriously, I have a great digital system that I can enjoy and I have a superb analog rig that I also enjoy. However, with the best source materials for each I still prefer the analog - and it isn't all that close.

Give it a try - you might enjoy it.

+1 my thoughts exactly.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I like 15ips 2 track R2R for the best analogue.

Larry

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Respectfully disagree.

Music which arrives via sound pressures waves is a single entity. It is only through an abstraction of mathematical formulas that this is represented as a series or set of individual sine waves. This is an abstraction at best.

Not an abstraction: A physical reality.
Actualy a sine wave would be that: A single entity. On the contrary Music is ... a lot of sine waves ;)

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Not an abstraction: A physical reality.
Actualy a sine wave would be that: A single entity. On the contrary Music is ... a lot of sine waves ;)

What I am referring to is the pressure wave that ultimately strikes the ear drum which is a pressure value over time. A good conversation would be about the brain's ability to create a spatial 3D reality from the complex phase relationships of these pressure waves. What happens when you strip subtle phase relationships in favor of a limited frequency bandwidth as is done with digital recording techniques? Digital does not recreate a perfect recreation of the pressure waves but rather it recreates a facsimile that we as engineers have deemed good enough. The "good enough" is a set of measurements that have evolved over time based upon what people can and cannot hear. Many of the studies are old and many come from the telecommunications industry where the concern focused on quality of speech and not the "perfect" recreation of a musical experience.

So this is just my opinion which in this case is probably no better than any other relatively intelligent person here since this is outside my specific area of expertise. But I do wonder if the difference that so many of us continue to hear between digital and analog reproduction isn't rooted in the differences in how phase relationships are preserved. I think there is too much focus on frequency response. It is this complexity that I refer to as opposed to just frequency response.

The interpretation of a non sine wave signal by digital FFT spectrum analyzers is an abstract of the signal measured and not the reality of the signal. This is partially why there are so many different views of the data: e.g. Hamming, Blackman Gausian, Hann etc.

Engineers have come to rely upon measurement devices that are essentially colored lenses that they interpret through. All measurement devices have limitations that deliver fractional views of the reality of that which is measured. This is a fact that must be factored in when we interpret what is seen through these lenses.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Great post Caelin.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
One big problem, whether we are talking about tape, LP, DSD or PCM, is getting the specifics of the playback device to match those of the recording device.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agreed, on this planet with our technology process, music is composed of near sinusoidial waves, period.

Can we know what "near sinusoidal wave " means exactly in this context? :confused:

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
What happens when you strip subtle phase relationships in favor of a limited frequency bandwidth as is done with digital recording techniques?
This is a common misunderstanding about digital recording. Even though the frequency response is limited, phase accuracy is not impaired.

Digital does not recreate a perfect recreation of the pressure waves but rather it recreates a facsimile that we as engineers have deemed good enough.
Nothing is the audio world is perfect. But the digital part of an audio system is way more accurate than any mic & pre-amp combination in use today.

The "good enough" is a set of measurements that have evolved over time based upon what people can and cannot hear. Many of the studies are old and many come from the telecommunications industry where the concern focused on quality of speech and not the "perfect" recreation of a musical experience.
This is totally incorrect! Modern test protocols and test equipment have allowed serious audio professional's to fine tune just what an audiophile can or cannot hear.

I would suggest reading a few of the JJ Jonhston papers:
http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/ppt.htm

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
This is a common misunderstanding about digital recording. Even though the frequency response is limited, phase accuracy is not impaired.

Nothing is the audio world is perfect. But the digital part of an audio system is way more accurate than any mic & pre-amp combination in use today.

This is totally incorrect! Modern test protocols and test equipment have allowed serious audio professional's to fine tune just what an audiophile can or cannot hear.

Run a square wave at 1khz or 10khz through a red book record/playback process and tell me that the slew rate on transients has not been altered. You can argue whether it is audible but not that it is altered. Whether we can can hear beyond 20khz on pure sine waves is irrelevant to the loss of transient accuracy since we are much more sensitive to arrival times and phase relationships than frequency response.

RE AES: Read it and more ..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Will Analog be better than my high end digital?

I hope so , i spend about 15.000 euro on analogue equipment versus 230 euro on digital :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) This is totally incorrect! Modern test protocols and test equipment have allowed serious audio professional's to fine tune just what an audiophile can or cannot hear.

Speedskater,

I would suggest you explicitly refer some of these test protocols and test equipment, or quote parts from the documents you refer. IMHO this type of answer is useless in a forum. The link you give us has tens of documents.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Near means not exactly a sinewave, air does not respond exactly as a perfect sinewave, bit of second harmonic distortion in it. Not confused now are you...

Thanks. IMHO harmonic distortion is a sine wave, we could conclude that all we have is perfect sine waves. Do you agree?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing