Ultra 6 being released

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have spoken with several owners who put them straight onto the carpet and had success...try XV-1 here and ask him.

Who is XV-1? I was planning on placing them directly on the carpet as well. Spiking the device will create a lot of physical stress on the stillpoint and may make it harder to dissipate the energy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Who is XV-1? I was planning on placing them directly on the carpet as well. Spiking the device will create a lot of physical stress on the stillpoint and may make it harder to dissipate the energy.

He is a member here, and i believe that is his moniker...owns Maxx 3s and D'Agostino amp, CJ GAT and also CJ Premier 8s. He uses Stillpoints under his Maxx's on carpeting...no spikes...thought that might be helpful for you.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ultra 10 trial - the joke backfires

Just tried this as a joke with a mate... and it has seriously backfired. We were floored at the additional bass and scale... just cost myself another couple of sets of u5s... The step up from the 8 Ultra 5s for the Maggie's up to 12 (6 per side) was almost as big as going from the ultra SS to Ultra 5s under the panels.

Improvements across the board and so while the bottom end added a few more notches towards sub bass the mids just got more present, alive and yet even more lush and this is by far the best top end I've heard out of these ribbons. Have been playing some big live recordings and the experience is like being there in the crowd.
image.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IIRC the intent of the Ultra 5's were to support pianos. They were never spiked. The original Ultra 5's also only had one hole tapped on the flat side made for the adapter that goes for that speaker. Then when some people stated they had better results with the bevel up Stillpoints made a hole tap on the bevel side. Then some people thought they could spike them under the Ultra 5's etc etc

IMHO I used the Stillpoints in the direction intended (bevel down) and their Wilson adaptor. I never thought of nor considered it to be a good idea to spike these. But that was my ears and as they say YMMV

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Just tried this as a joke with a mate... and it has seriously backfired. We were floored at the additional bass and scale... just cost myself another couple of sets of u5s... The step up from the 8 Ultra 5s for the Maggie's up to 12 (6 per side) was almost as big as going from the ultra SS to Ultra 5s under the panels.

Improvements across the board and so while the bottom end added a few more notches towards sub bass the mids just got more present, alive and yet even more lush and this is by far the best top end I've heard out of these ribbons. Have been playing some big live recordings and the experience is like being there in the crowd.

If anyone ever ask again "does the madness ever end", the answer is a resounding "no".

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
edorr, I heard a setup with EA MM3s with Soulution 7 series monos and CH Precision and AMG sources all cabled with Zensati Seraphim.

The happy owner had everything throughout the system up on Ultra 5s and he was still chasing more so maybe the madness doesn't ever end... I know I'll miss mine when it's gone.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
edorr, I heard a setup with EA MM3s with Soulution 7 series monos and CH Precision and AMG sources all cabled with Zensati Seraphim.

The happy owner had everything throughout the system up on Ultra 5s and he was still chasing more so maybe the madness doesn't ever end... I know I'll miss mine when it's gone.

Fantastic system no doubt, but the method to my madness is I work within a budget so these experimentations are out of my reach. Case in point, I always wanted to try 8 x ultra 5 under my speakers, but literally waited for over a year for a used set to show up, so I could try them with no depreciation risk. I actually quite enjoy balancing the pursuit of extreme audio performance with some sort of frugality - maybe the Dutchmen in me.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Must have sounded bright , knowing the Seraphim as I do ...

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Jazz the signature of the sound for me was on the hot side but was also probably even more notably dominated by the soulution amp and pre. I found it very intense to listen to for any length of time.

I believe he did end up selling the Zensati loom and replacing it with Crystal Cable Absolute Dream so all of this continues to move safely well above my pay grade of understanding.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'm with you there on balance edorr tho it has taken a couple of years of budgeting to get my cables and stillpoints to where I don't find either are creating any real limits for the system... I was hoping to try the ultra 5s stacked and find little or no benefit. I was disappointed and overjoyed at the same time.

oldaudiodude

[Industry Expert]
Jan 14, 2013
Wisconsin Badgerland
Ultra 5

The Ultra 5 will be great just on the carpet. Only when it is a deep pad and thick carpet that you want to consider the spiking of a 5.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing