Avalon: Customer Service

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Did you get them like this from the factory ?

I had the Avalons myself, and helped my friends to uncrate at least 4 other pairs, but have never seen anything like this. They always came perfect (unlike products from some other well respected manufacturers that shall remain unnamed).

I have alwyas thought that Avalon has the best veneers in the business.

No the have a bad veneer and the ship the speaker in normaly plastic bags it is ridiculous they know not what they do.

Dali Vienna and a lot of bands from Germany er so mush better.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Many, if not most, manufacturers use plastic bags to protect the speakers inside the shipping cartons. Rather than the cartons, Avalon ships their speakers in a wooden crates, which gives an extra level of protection.

But the question was: did they come like this from the factory ? This is sth I'm unable to fathom, knowing the QC they go through at the factory.

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Many, if not most, manufacturers use plastic bags to protect the speakers inside the shipping cartons. Rather than the cartons, Avalon ships their speakers in a wooden crates, which gives an extra level of protection.

But the question was: did they come like this from the factory ? This is sth I'm unable to fathom, knowing the QC they go through at the factory.

all know that plastic bags and wood and water-based lac is a bad thing.

The Indra got the problem after ½ year. the Isis after 2 years,, and the Isis 2 and 3 wass ship like this.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Avalon the best veneers in the business? Sorry to disagree: imo it is not even close if you compare their veneers to those of Tidal Audio.

Do they even make the matt finish that Avalon is using ? I have always though Tidal speakers all come in high gloss lacquer finish. That is a very different kind of finish, so it is difficlut to compare the quality of the two. Certainly, the finish on the Avalons is up there with the best in the biz in its respective category.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
all know that plastic bags and wood and water-based lac is a bad thing.

The Indra got the problem after ½ year. the Isis after 2 years,, and the Isis 2 and 3 wass ship like this.

Where did you get that from ? I'm personally curios, as most speaker manufacturers use plactic bags to protect their products inside the cartons.

I'm suprised by the problems you have. As I mentioned before - I have had the Eidolons Vision myself and have many friends who had, or still have, the Avalons (Indra, Isis - two pairs, Time) and none of them had experienced the veneer problem you mention. Every single pair I have seen come absolutely perfect (in every way) from the factory, and didn't show any ageing problems either.

The damage on the edge of the Isis in particular doesn't look like sth which could develop overtime - unless the owner 'helped' a bit (and by the 'owner' I mean the actual owner, his kids, cleaning lady etc).

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Do they even make the matt finish that Avalon is using ? I have always though Tidal speakers all come in high gloss lacquer finish. That is a very different kind of finish, so it is difficlut to compare the quality of the two. Certainly, the finish on the Avalons is up there with the best in the biz in its respective category.

Matt finished can be ordered as far as I know. Imo the woodwork of Tidal is clearly on another level.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Matt finished can be ordered as far as I know. Imo the woodwork of Tidal is clearly on another level.

If you haven't seen Tidal's matt finish, how do you know it is on 'another level' ?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
If you haven't seen Tidal's matt finish, how do you know it is on 'another level' ?

Because (i) I have seen (and owned) various Tidal speakers with a wooden finish before the lacquering proces started (including the Sunrays and LA's that I own) and (ii) I have seen (and listened to) a lot of Avalon loudspeakers.

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
I've owned 3 pairs of Avalon speakers so far and soon to own a 4th. All of which were absolutely flawless and a site to behold! I'm sure from reports that Tidal 's finishes are stunning also.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I've owned 3 pairs of Avalon speakers so far and soon to own a 4th. All of which were absolutely flawless and a site to behold!
Same here. I owned Arcus, Eidolon Diamond and now Time. Always perfect finish.

BlackPR

Mar 17, 2016
I'm in Colorado (Denver area) and the finishers at Avalon are minor celebrities in the Rocky Mountain Region woodworking community.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I just got a tweeter replacement from Avalon for my Ascent speakers, I got new ceramic dome tweeters filtted in the original silk dome unit, great service from Margo and Neil!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Or you could go with Ushers with is on a level above Tidals - no veneers, solid single piece of walnut wood wrapped around the speaker and 300lbs each for the BE20s! ;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing