Jeff Rowland Model 6 + BPS-6 - Speaker recommendations

tiff_needle

May 10, 2012
Hi,

I've been an happy owner of Jeff's Model 6's with the battery power supplies for quite some time now.

But I'm considering changing my speakers as I believe they've never been the correct match for these amps.

I'm also using a rowland pre, more precisely a Synergy IIi that I have intention of swapping for a Coherence II series II.

I've always been a fan of Watt Puppy's (since series 6) but I've always found it to, in order to have a sound signature of my likeings, you really have to be very careful with what you pair it with.

I've been considering a pair of used watt/puppy's (WP7/WP8) / Sashas (mk1) or sophias 3 to pair with my rowlands but I'd like to know if any of you have had first hand experience with rowland gear and wilson's? More specifically with vintage rowland gear and WP for instance.

So that you get an idea of the genre of music I ear, thus help me on this quest for a set of new speakers, my favourite Music goes from classic, to prog. rock, rock, pop, jazz, blues, indie.... I don't know... Don't like to put things in little boxes with labels...

Just to name a few (just the first one's that pop out of my head):

BEATLES
Roger Waters
David Gilmor
Pink Floyd
Sting / Police
Peter Gabriel
10.000 Maniacs
Pearl Jam
Steven wilson
Porcupine tree
King Crimson
Moody Blues
Yes
Gentle Giant
Curved Air
Strawbs
Peter Hammil
PFM
David Bowie
Lou Reed
John Cale
U2
Talking Heads
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Rolling Stones
Dire Straigts
Dead Can Dance
Genesis - Gabriel era
Doors
Frank Zappa
mahavishnu orchestra
Roxy Music
Van der Graff generator
Neil Young
CSNY
David Crosby
Fairport Convention
Sandy Denny
Renaissance
Amazing Blondel
Bjork
Jean Michel Jarre
CAN
Sufjan Stevens
Feist
Grizzly Bear
Yo la tengo
Divine Comedy
Dirty Projectors
Bill Callahan
Owen Pallett
Nick Cave
Chico Buarque
Tom Jobim
Carlos Paredes
José Afonso
Trovante
Fausto
Muddy Watters
Patricia Barber
Sara Vaughn
BB King
António Forcione
Pat Metheny
Charlie Haden
Oscar Peterson
Duke ellington
Miles Davis
Charlie Parker
Simone
Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Billy holiday
Rachmaninoff
Schumann
Shubert
R. Strauss
Chopin
Wagner
Handel
Bach
Mozart
Debussy
Beethoven

And so, so, so many others....

Passion: Enjoy and be immersed in music instead of being happy for an hour showing off a fatigating, over-analitical, dull, all bells and whistles high-end system to friends that doesn't really give me any personal pleasure. (Came from a 15+ years living with CJ Premier 11 system and Proac Response 2.5 and its over-kodachrome presentation that simply gave great pleasure listening to. And also spent several years in the Audio Note world).

Qualities that I'm looking for, that in my opinion would be good taking into account my system's actual character.

Body; Weight; "Wood, wine, honey;" Stage; pace; Depth;

Velvet mids and highs (my speakers have ribbon tweeters and they are already so revealing);

I would say,a tad of color if you may... My system is already very neutral as we speak... so adding a bit of color wound't hurt, specially for those nostalgic 60 & 70's recordings of prog.!

Thank you for your insights.

PS: I'm in the process of changing my source so some of these characteristic could be achieved through the new source (something more warm perhaps, tube at the expense of loosing a bit of resolution wouldn't hurt me)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I had Model 9s with the Coherence driving Wilson X-1s for many years. Great combination!

tiff_needle

May 10, 2012
Thank you Frank750 for sharing.

Any more insights?

Speaker recommendations for this setup?

Thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing