Ascendant issue

rallan

Feb 8, 2014
I have had a pair of Ascendants for about 4 1/2 purchased from an Audiogon member. In the past month I have noticed a black sticky substance under the speaker. I have kept in touch with the seller and we are puzzled what it could possibly be. I discovered in one of the ports something coming through the damping material. No problem with how they sound. I emailed Avalon almost a month ago with pics of the floor and the port, as well as calling them asking for their help. I have not heard back from them. Does anyone have any idea what is going on.
Thanks for all those who reply.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have had a pair of Ascendants for about 4 1/2 purchased from an Audiogon member. In the past month I have noticed a black sticky substance under the speaker. I have kept in touch with the seller and we are puzzled what it could possibly be. I discovered in one of the ports something coming through the damping material. No problem with how they sound. I emailed Avalon almost a month ago with pics of the floor and the port, as well as calling them asking for their help. I have not heard back from them. Does anyone have any idea what is going on.

I had the exact same issue with my eidolons. Had to use some major chemicals to get it cleaned from my carpet (never recovered 100%). It has to be some leaking of material used in the speaker. Not an issue sonically or otherwise, but could be a pain an stain carpets.

rallan

Feb 8, 2014
Thank so much for the information. Mine are on hardwood floors, so it is easier to get it off.
Thanks again.

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015

A good friend of mine also had this issue with his Eidolon Diamonds. The black sticky substance turned out to be a piece of rubber in the speaker that started to melt. I forget what the rubber piece was for but I think the part was in the port. Avalon sent him a replacement part along with instructions on how to replace it himself. To my knowledge they have since changed vendors for this specific part. This wasn't an issue for early vintage Eidolon Diamonds as mine are.

best,
Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing