Dear God!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The last time I laid a guilt trip on God, he smote me.

I'll never do that again.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
So it's all God's fault !

Nothing has changed. In the Book of Genesis (Genesis 3:12), Adam blames God (and Eve) for "the woman you gave me" when confronted by God about eating of the apple tree which was the only no-no God gave them. Shedding personal responsibility has been around as long as mankind. It's never our fault and God is as convenient to blame as anyone else since he is not physically present to defend Himself.

God is not the problem with this world. Mankind owns 100% of everything that is wrong.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll second that Amen!

John

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
ooh, dunno if I should reply, but hey others are....

does that mean mankind also 100% owns all/any good in the world? I would like to think so, but it seems if anything is bad it is 'not god' (devil, man, nature), anything good then it 'is god'.

Seems rigged to me.

Of course, a completely different conclusion could be drawn from post 3 than the two following posts.....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not very religious but there is no way you can get me to sing this song.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
From reading history, my take on religion is it is a purely cultural thing.

yeah, I wonder how many have asked themselves 'what if I had been born in Iraq..would I still be a christian?' and of course, vice versa.

Some things we just accpet and not question. Often from the folks or general society around us. Those 'everbody knows' just go straight past our filter. Anything contrary to the 'everbody knows' is fought tooth and nail. Because we don't usually question an 'everybody knows'...why?....because everybody knows THAT'S why!!

Not a comment or being derisive about peoples religion, just a comment on human nature.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Personal responsibility

The focus of the song was to "blame" God for all of our ills. My response was that we have been blaming God since the beginning, OR "blaming" anyone else so long as WE don't have to take personal responsibility.

What got me up in arms about this whole "personal responsibility" thing was the original lawsuit against McDonalds by the moron that burned herself with hot coffee.

Now we are blaming MacDonalds again: see http://www.theblaze.com/blog/#post-4897

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
If you don't use a parachute, does that mean you would do a skydie?

I couldn't agree more about the personal responsibility thing. A comment from an outsider about that (and ties in with the earlier stuff about cultural influences)...that seems to be a particularly nasty yet american thing.

*We* shake our heads seeing all that stuff go on, and the amazing punitive damages your system can impose. Trouble is, like a lot of american things, it seems to be getting exported. It is becoming less rare to see over here now than it used to be.

Back to the song (not religion as such) I think that may have been part of the intent of the song? For better or worse, the entire concept of 'putting yourself in the hands of an exterior being' leads specifically to lack of personal responsibility?? For the good stuff we can say god (or whatever term you wish) is the cause, the bad stuff the devil (or whatever term you wish).

Like it or not, WE cause what happens in our life. And some of these things can be very hard to spot, hence at times counter intuitive.

I didn't make this point in response to your initial post (quoting genesis), but again that was covered in the song when it was pointed out that the book was written by people. Hence fallible, as all human endeavours can be.

Will read the blog, these things can have a certain morbid fascination, yet another insight into the crazy world of mankind. Point fully taken about personal responsibility, wish there were more of it frankly.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Nothing has changed. In the Book of Genesis (Genesis 3:12), Adam blames God (and Eve) for "the woman you gave me" when confronted by God about eating of the apple tree which was the only no-no God gave them. Shedding personal responsibility has been around as long as mankind. It's never our fault and God is as convenient to blame as anyone else since he is not physically present to defend Himself.

God is not the problem with this world. Mankind owns 100% of everything that is wrong.

Audioguy

This coming from a believer ..but ..but ..God made us ... This can get real complicated, real fast .. I 'll leave it to God to sort this when I meet God (refuse to give God a gender and "it" sounds disrespectful ..)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From reading history, my take on religion is it is a purely cultural thing. There are many religions and gods.

This song, though, (reflecting the Christian religions) I think, really reflects what everyone has thought at some point in their life, even if they prescribe to one of the worlds religions.

Tom
Agnostic.

Yes, cultural, and in a way, destiny plays a role too. My parents were ethnic Chinese who migrated to the P.I. and as such I have grown up to observe a lot of traditional Chinese religious rituals and actually practiced a few. I was sent to a Catholic school from prep to high school by them, so that was where I learned Bible stories and some Catholic practices. At college, I went a Jesuit run university in which Catholic Theology and Philosophy were mandatory subjects. In a sense, I feel this was my destiny, and despite my cultural upbringing, I still tend to be a Catholic in my belief.

The song, I feel, was prpbably written by an ex-Christian who have lost his faith and rejected the religion altogether. And his reasons are what the song is all about. It's part of freedom of speech, imo.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The sixties and seventies had rebellion, the eighties and nineties had nuvo angst. I call it whining while dressed to the nines. ;)

Hard to tell if XTC meant it or did it just because it was in vogue. That has always been my problem with this song. The song itself is quite powerful.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The sixties and seventies had rebellion, the eighties and nineties had nuvo angst. I call it whining while dressed to the nines. ;)

Hard to tell if XTC meant it or did it just because it was in vogue. That has always been my problem with this song. The song itself is quite powerful.

I feel the same way. Good point Jack!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing