Security camera system

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looking for wireless security camera system. Needs good day/night vision. Don't need to subscribe to a damn Cloud service. Seems that's the way some of these get you now. The camera system is cheap, but if you want to record.... they want $$$ /yr for a subscription.

Saw a "Swan" system at Fry's tonight. Looks good with it's own DVR, but it's not wireless. Any suggestions? Want at least 2 and not more than 4 channels, be able to stream to my iPad/iPhone.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The swan stuff is junk Bruce. For something as important as security camera, I like to see them wired. Is this for home or business?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Yes, I want the best optics, zoom and super low lux with the option to taze the perp.

^^^ This! ^^^ :D

Hello, Bruce B. My first thought was that if you need a cloud service for some or most of them........could a personal cloud work?

Tom

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Is a monitored system from ADT or one of the usual alarm system companies an option?

A search found a ton of wireless systems, some X10, and of course wired, with prices all over the map. I have no idea how good/reliable any of them are, unfortunately.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well right now we have door/window alarms and motion detectors by ADT, but with the holidays coming up, the CFO wanted cameras on the front/back of the house. I've been lucky so far, but I've had vendors ship me over $100k worth of equipment without notifying me and FedEx or UPS just drops it off at my doorstep without a sig.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That is most definitely a security concern.

Tom

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
You should be able to rescind your "leave without signature" profile by contacting UPS and FedEx.

I'm pretty sure ADT offers camera support, no idea the cost and such.

You could also install sensors to detect when somebody is approaching the house and flash a light/buzzer/whatever. I need to do that on our driveway...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Yes, I want the best optics, zoom and super low lux with the option to taze the perp.

How about a turret mounted, servo driven, heat seeking machine gun that continues to fire until whatever is warm, becomes cold or stops moving? ;)

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Well right now we have door/window alarms and motion detectors by ADT, but with the holidays coming up, the CFO wanted cameras on the front/back of the house. I've been lucky so far, but I've had vendors ship me over $100k worth of equipment without notifying me and FedEx or UPS just drops it off at my doorstep without a sig.

That has happened to me, and on the other side of the coin, I have had radiologists send me a CT scan on a ten cent CD and UPS would not leave it after hours on the porch because no one was there to sign for it!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bruce, relying on wireless network to record the bits is not a good idea. If that network goes down you have nothing. There are cameras we use with internal storage. The wireless network then is only used when you want to view what is there. A couple of the unit that we use has analytics there that can actually detect a package left by your door and notify you!

Best thing to do is come to our shop and my guys can give you the full run down as we install literally hundreds of cameras from different brands for different situations. Send me PM/email if you like me to arrange that. Since you only want a couple of cameras, high quality solutions would not be that much more expensive that hobby stuff that just does not work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing