What nice wines did you taste this weekend?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Beautiful that there was still mineral content after the years. A sign of a great white wine meant to age.

Yep - absolutely. I am allergic to sulphites, so I can't drink any wine that is less than 10 years old and even then, I need the wine to be very good. With whites, I need the wine to be at least 20 years old, or I end up wheezing and suffocate.

Oh yes, the Sauternes, Barsac, Monbazillac and Beaumes de Venise (some of our favorites). It's so difficult to stay away from these to allow proper aging. We tend to purchase them in lots of six or twelve so we can taste as they mature along the way. Always, we wish we'd of saved more of a particular vintage when the last one of a type is opened. It's too easy to tell yourself, "oh heck, we have four more of these, don't worry". LOL

Oh yes! I find that most wines are drunk way too young in this country. Seems that the bottle goes from store to gullet within an hour. Even if the wine is to be drunk young, the agitation of the journey makes the wine closed-up for at least a couple of hours. But...... this is another industry where the subjective/objective and double-blind debate is heated.

You could also age the wine for too long. When I discovered the de Bartoli Noble One in the late 1980's I thought so much of them that I cellared away a couple of cases. When I cracked them open 20 years later, they had already deteriorated and was quite terrible. Then, there are others what may never come around - like the 1975 Barsacs. Even the last bottle opened a couple of years ago was still tannic and it was over 30 years old. Now, I'll never know if it might ever come around.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Christmas dinner included a:
2009 Chassange Montrachet Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard
2010 Joseph Phelps Cabernet (now I've got the itch to try the Insignia from 2010,which was a great year in Napa)
2010 Stag's Leap Artemis, a cab/merlot blend

The Jospeph Phelps was the knockout, the Artemis also outstanding, the Montrachet a tiny bit buttery where I prefer a little more crisp.

The Phelps is my favorite Napa wine, and his Insignias are at the top of anything I have tried. I just got a hold of a couple of the 2010 Insignias, and based on past years' experiences and his reputation I am sure it will be sensational. Anyone ever try a Verite La Muse or La Joie?

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Yep - absolutely. I am allergic to sulphites, so I can't drink any wine that is less than 10 years old and even then, I need the wine to be very good. With whites, I need the wine to be at least 20 years old, or I end up wheezing and suffocate.

Oh yes! I find that most wines are drunk way too young in this country. Seems that the bottle goes from store to gullet within an hour. Even if the wine is to be drunk young, the agitation of the journey makes the wine closed-up for at least a couple of hours. But...... this is another industry where the subjective/objective and double-blind debate is heated.

You could also age the wine for too long. When I discovered the de Bartoli Noble One in the late 1980's I thought so much of them that I cellared away a couple of cases. When I cracked them open 20 years later, they had already deteriorated and was quite terrible. Then, there are others what may never come around - like the 1975 Barsacs. Even the last bottle opened a couple of years ago was still tannic and it was over 30 years old. Now, I'll never know if it might ever come around.

Gary, you must have the patience of a Saint!

Tonight I picked up four splits of 2009 Domaine de Durban Beaumes de Venise that popped up at a local store. Have never tried this vintner before but have a test bottle chilling in the fridge for after dinner tonight. If it has merit I'll go grab a couple more tomorrow.

375696.jpg

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Life is short, if it tastes right, drink it.

Dry Humor - I tend to post it; this is not: I have been drinking many fine wines long before many of you were born. The NEW wines tend to not age the same. Great wine, great drinking & I used to conserve them - then the wines lose it; not the same, many terrible. Now, when I buy excellent drinking wines, I drink. I am extremely unhappy when the great wines go off & do not come back.
Life is short, if it tastes right, drink it. If you are at your home - many glasses.
zz.

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
No surprise that the 2009 Domaine de Durban Beaumes de Venise needs more time. We tasted it last night and when it was over-chilled (dumb) it was very mineral filled and a bit unexciting. However, as it warmed up some it was quite nice but still too young. I think I'll just stash the remaining three bottles and check back in five years or so.

Last edited:

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
I am extremely unhappy when the great wines go off & do not come back.

So very true! About the only wines I put away to age are from France. Whether red or white Bordeaux, Chateauneuf-du-Pape or other Rhones. There are some California reds that we've found do well with 5-12 years too. Otherwise, we try to stay on top of those that are closing in on their lifespan and drink them first.

The desert wines can sit for many years if not a persons lifetime and do best with at least 15-20 years (often times lasting 50 or more years depending on pedigree).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Mike, I'm not surprised that the 2009 Beaumes de Venise need more time. The other wine I collect and cellar away is the Tokaji - this bottle was lovely a couple of months ago. It's been developing slowly over the past 10 years, and I've still got 4 bottles left.

Tokaji Aszu Essencia.jpg

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Nice Gary.

I've had a few tastes of the Tokaji Aszu, but not many. Have never owned a bottle. How many Puttonyos is that one?

It seems the only ones I've tasted in restaurants in the past have been 5 Puttonyos. I've never had less than 5 Puttonyos but would love to see how the lower ones compare.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've had this a couple of times now, and it's really good

IMG_1266.JPG ]

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
IMG_0291.JPG

Wine Enthusiast #1 for 2016. (It is a 2005) I took a risk and bought 6 based on reviews and no experience with Spanish wine. We opened one New Years eve. 94, 95, 96 pts depending on reviewer—absolutely stunning @ $40. Be sure to put at least a couple in your cellar!!! I ordered 6 more it is that good.

Reactions: jeff1225

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff...2001 and 2005 i am told were good years in Spain, and I have enjoyed quite a few 05s many years ago. enjoy!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Scott Riesling from New Zealand. Light, crisp and fresh. Went very well with the fresh oysters and steamed Nova Scotia lobster. A little too light maybe, I had a bottle to myself I think. That's something I almost never do! LOL.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I live in Portland, OR neighborhood, and the Willamette Valley is just a short drive away. There are a few really well regarded Pinot producers, some contending with the best of from Burgundy. That said, I tend to shy away from Pinot as it tends to have a bit of a sweeter profile (red cherries, red raspberries, strawberries) compared dark fruit profile of Cabernet, syrah, etc. I do appreciate (as I experience more truly great Pinot) jus how expressive a grape it is.

A couple months back, before the China virus, my wife and I attended a wine dinner for a local charity. There we were introduced to a Pinot producer that absolutely blew me away. I don’t even consider it Pinot as the wine is simply stunning it its complexity and layering. I immediately bought a couple cases, and for me to invest in Pinot would have been unthinkable before this.

The parent vineyard has 128 acres under vine, but the “Rose & Arrow” label represents only 7.5 acres, from which they produce 7 wines from 7 different parcels. Very limited production. The wine shown is the entry to their amazing wines.

A good and dear friend who has wine knowledge of a level 2 or 3 sommelier wrote this after I sent him a bottle:

My tasting note are thus: Seductive, angelic, enchanting, heavenly, mesmerizing! Rich red raspberry, ripe blueberry on the nose and palate with a hint of rainier cherry on the front. As the wine opens after a few minutes you’re connected with the mineral foundations of the earth - bedrock - finished on the back of the palate with light cedar and dominatrix leather! Feminine and strength to be sure.

and...

My favorite Pinot Noir ever to be sure. Like sitting down with Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill for a lengthy discussion over dinner and an evening!

Remarkable and rare, if you love wine never pass an opportunity to taste this.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I'm big on fizz. Since there are some Champagne lovers here, if you like rose, you might consider trying this recently released 2012. Lovely red fruits with a touch of spice, well balanced, mouth-watering acidity, and a long minerally finish. Beautiful color.

Not into rose, and want something off the beaten path? Try the Grower-Producer, Marc Hebrart, Brut Special Club 2013 1er Cru if you can still find it.

According to Wine Enthusiast, 2015 thru 2018 should be great vintages for champagne.

, lrof3kxrkra928dmtm01.jpg rose

Reactions: jazdoc and Bobvin

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
@Bobvin

Good to hear you've found a great local Pinot. Not the easiest of grapes to get the best from

Pinot Noir has always been a favourite here. Mostly Burgundy, new world Pinot often tends to have a deep almost Amarone like sour cherry character that can be attractive but Burgundy seems to more often get the balance right, at a price. And I hear you when you mention over sweetness.

One new world producer that is getting it right is Felton Road from Central Otago in NZ. There's is a little of that new world character but beautifully balanced and so beautifully soft and velvety - blink and it's all gone. A producer to seek out

Reactions: Bobvin

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Barry, have you tried this? We've pretty much stopped buying Champagne. Many wines claim to compete and compare with Champagne only to leave you disappointed, Nyetimber goes toe to toe with the best

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2F5E1F53-8E1F-48E3-A13D-F134B68022C4.jpeg

00F0A2BF-C1A3-43B0-834E-AB15DC133155.jpeg

This dessert wine was excellent with Roquefort cheese. You need good blue cheese to enjoy with this wine

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Can’t forget this beautiful Argentinian red...

BA68442D-6FFA-4A27-9D29-D6CAD457B129.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing