What nice wines did you taste this weekend?

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Though we dined on Thanksgiving-day proper with mostly non-wine folks, my wife and I brought a few simple bottles to share and all were tasty and appreciated:

Brutocao - 2012 Chardonnay - Hopland Ranches, Mendocino
Ancient Oak - 2012 Chardonnay - Russian River
Kim Crawford 2012 Pinot Noir - New Zealand

Tonight my wife and I are home from travel and tasting a nice 2003 Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes from the cellar in celebration of a nice weekend visiting family.

What wines have you tasted lately that we should know about? Please share your finds.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We have 3 this holiday which we like at different price points:

Australia: Penfolds St. Henri 2010 Shiraz
New Zealand: Craggy Range Le Sol 2010 (also Shiraz)
Argentina: Catena Alamos Merlot 2010, 2011 & 2013

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I usually buy some when I have company or perhaps when I fancy a glass while cooking. As such, I only buy inexpensive wines as my palette isn't refined enough to tell the difference anyway. I do like to try wines from all over the world however, and I've kind of latched on to many of the Eastern European ones. They are inexpensive, readily available and I quite like the taste. One of my favourites is a Merlot named Bulls Blood.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/bulls-blood-merlot-keikfrankos/139980#.VJxFrf8M8A

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Matarromero 2009 - Tempranillo - Spain
Alion 2007 - Temoranillo - Spain
Las Hormigas - Malbec - Argentina

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Christmas dinner included a:
2009 Chassange Montrachet Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard
2010 Joseph Phelps Cabernet (now I've got the itch to try the Insignia from 2010,which was a great year in Napa)
2010 Stag's Leap Artemis, a cab/merlot blend

The Jospeph Phelps was the knockout, the Artemis also outstanding, the Montrachet a tiny bit buttery where I prefer a little more crisp.

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Chartron et Trebuchet Batard Montrachet 1994 with the cheese and pate platter after the Christmas meal.

View attachment 18305

Oooooh, I bet that was a tasty Chardonnay Gary! Do tell how it tasted. Would love to have some nice White Burgundy of that age, but we've only got a few bottles of Chablis from 2007-2009 right now.

I think my oldest bottling in the cellar is a 1989 Suduiraut.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Oooooh, I bet that was a tasty Chardonnay Gary! Do tell how it tasted. Would love to have some nice White Burgundy of that age, but we've only got a few bottles of Chablis from 2007-2009 right now.

I think my oldest bottling in the cellar is a 1989 Suduiraut.

It was huge and almost unctuous. Green tea, minerals, apples even, and a long smooth honey after taste. It was excellent with the cheese and pate - and went well with the Cassoulet au Canard I made.

I also love Sauternes - I have a few bottles of the 1989 Suduiraut Creme de Tete that I'm going to keep in the cellar for another decade or more. The regular 1989 Suduirauts I've already finished. The 1988's and 1990's aren't even ready yet. Now drinking the 1995's that I have.

Rieussec.jpg

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
It was huge and almost unctuous. Green tea, minerals, apples even, and a long smooth honey after taste. It was excellent with the cheese and pate - and went well with the Cassoulet au Canard I made.

I also love Sauternes - I have a few bottles of the 1989 Suduiraut Creme de Tete that I'm going to keep in the cellar for another decade or more. The regular 1989 Suduirauts I've already finished. The 1988's and 1990's aren't even ready yet. Now drinking the 1995's that I have.

View attachment 18374

Beautiful that there was still mineral content after the years. A sign of a great white wine meant to age.

Oh yes, the Sauternes, Barsac, Monbazillac and Beaumes de Venise (some of our favorites). It's so difficult to stay away from these to allow proper aging. We tend to purchase them in lots of six or twelve so we can taste as they mature along the way. Always, we wish we'd of saved more of a particular vintage when the last one of a type is opened. It's too easy to tell yourself, "oh heck, we have four more of these, don't worry". LOL

p.s. nice Rieussec!

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Haha, no. My mother was an English teacher in the British Colony of Singapore.

Funny that. My mother was an English teacher too. :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You're all way too sophisticated for me.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We love the Champagne too jazdoc, glad to see there are others that enjoy them here.

Churchill was right “In Success you deserve it and in defeat, you need it.” ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing