De-correlation ambient sound from music reproduction

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi there

I have doing some interesting experiments in time delay in ambient sounds

Much of this work was done in 1970s using the Haas & precedent effect towards the quadrophonic systems of the time and is often used in mastering even today

basically if you delay the onset of ambient info between 10-20 msec then you will here it as ambience and not added to primary wave front

An issue I have always had is as you amplify sound the ambience is amplified linearly

a certain amount can become correlated with the musical signal giving a "white noise" effect to high frequencies and a rather "dry" feeling to play back

Through experimentation with time delay in my cross over

I was able to decorrelate the ambience from the true musical frequencies at about 14msec in my set up

The differences are most impressive musically:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My speakers have an ambience feature as part of its feature set albeit the delay and phase is fixed (only level is adjustable). I've found the feature extremely useful. :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
What speakers are those?

I have been quite amazed at improvement and easily discernible and reproducible?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing