The very best DACs today...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The Aries Cerat Kassandra dac is visually and sonically a beast.
This device uses 24 AD1865N-K DACs - 18bit R2R converter (one of the very best) : 12 converters per channel. Paralleling converters is said to improve the total SNR thus linearity and channel separation.
It's indeed the best sounding DAC I know and visually impressive !

My 2 cents...
Joel,

Their Dac is by far the least visually impressive product in their range. The amps are way more blingy. The Dac seems like a dull cube in comparison. http://www.aries-cerat.eu/images/pics/dacbig.jpg

It also does not seem very big compared to say the Big7.

I attach some pictures of the Big7 to try to illustrate…for example against the Direct Stream.
image2.JPG image1.JPG photo 1.jpg P1020356.jpg P1020348.jpg

Last edited:

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Hummm....
You obliged me to browse my private librarys.... :)
I insist : it's rather big.... I know their amps are bigger but let's say it's almost impressive for a small french guy ! ;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yup, Those amps are rather big!

And you can see the lovely tubes. In comparison, the Dac is a boring cube.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Joel,

Their Dac is by far the least visually impressive product in their range. The amps are way more blingy. The Dac seems like a dull cube in comparison. http://www.aries-cerat.eu/images/pics/dacbig.jpg

It also does not seem very big compared to say the Big7.

I attach some pictures of the Big7 to try to illustrate…for example against the Direct

That Aries logo on the Dac is absolutely atrocious. What were they thinking?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There is no best but merely what is best at the time one is using it. BUT there clearly is audio products that are just above most else . And the lampi seems to fit that bill. Also the new head dac I am plYing with for me as of right now is the best amp inown or have heard . And it rolls tubes. A truly amazing new lampi product.

As I get to know it better I'll do a few post,s.
Al

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Having auditioned a lot of different DACs, I'd have to say my favorite DAC is the Esoteric D-02. A very accurate and lifelike sound with many different settings. I went with the K-01 so I could spin my SACDs too.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
What other dacs?

Having auditioned a lot of different DACs, I'd have to say my favorite DAC is the Esoteric D-02. A very accurate and lifelike sound with many different settings. I went with the K-01 so I could spin my SACDs too.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
It is the superbness of the Lampi power supply that really sets it apart. Not sure if any other brand can touch that...and I have heard many of the big brands, TotalDac, MSB, Trinity, Zanden, Chord, PSA, PSD, EMM, CH, Lindemann, Devialet, Bricasti, etc. The size of the Big7 chassis says it all ...it is huge and its mainly power supply.

The other thing about the Big7 as AL said is the versatilty of tubes it can take. There are like 12 classes of rectifiers allowed (5u4g, 5AR, 5r4, U52, GZ34 and 37, 5Y3, 5v4g, 274b, 422a and type 80 and 83 with adapters). Then for output tubes, it can take, 2a3,6a3 (and 6b4g with adapters), 45 globes and ST, 101d globes and ST, VT 52, 300b 5v, 300b 2.5v....with different brands sounding quite different to each other!

Quite fun and maddening if you dont take your time and do it systematically. You basically can completely change the presenatation at will and to satisfy the mood of the moment. With rectis, you can even roll on the fly!

No kidding -- wow :p

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Perhaps, I'll listen to one someday -- other than show environments. It fascinates me that it is so tube adaptable.

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
The Aries Cerat Kassandra dac looks very impressive. What is the price?

Joel, did you heard the dac against more known brands like lampi or totaldac?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Aries Cerat Kassandra dac looks very impressive. What is the price?

Joel, did you heard the dac against more known brands like lampi or totaldac?

The webiste says it has 2 FARADS of capacitance? That's 2,000,000 microfarads of capacitance, no? That's 2x more than a pair of Gryphon Mephisto monoblocks which are roughly 1 Farad of capacitance (1,000,000 microfarads).

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The webiste says it has 2 FARADS of capacitance? That's 2,000,000 microfarads of capacitance, no? That's 2x more than a pair of Gryphon Mephisto monoblocks which are roughly 1 Farad of capacitance (1,000,000 microfarads).

:eek::eek::eek:..... Crazy !!! Misprint ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
:eek::eek::eek:..... Crazy !!! Misprint ?

I have no idea...but the DAC certainly looks like it might be as big as a massive tube amp...

http://www.aries-cerat.eu/

"...The converter is equipped with an internal super-clock, which reclocks the converters, making the processor virtually immune to transport changes. The jitter is attenuated to < 80psrms , whatever the jitter level is present at the transformer coupled spdif input. With the internal clock, there is no need for a work clock input. All digital logic is designed and optimized in-house. The super-clock reclocker can be bypassed on the fly by remote control, so you can hear the effect of jitter elimination in your system. The converter’s power supply is a complex system of a total of 8 torroidal transformers, for full separation of digital section, analog supplies, clock supply and the tube circuits. A total of > 2F of capacitance is present in the system, with more than adequate local de-coupling, using top line capacitor, such as OSCONs, WIMAs and Nichicons...."

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
the smaller of their 2 dacs weighs 55kgs!

the preamp uses negative output impedance like Rowen in Switzerland.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Wow cool brand , if heavy relates to good sounding and it does in a way , then this is the real deal :D
What is quite clear to me is that in tube designs big powersupplies have everything to do with unitcontrol /basscontrol , the Cat poweramp i have now quite regularly trips the circuit braker on start up

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing