The very best DACs today...

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I wouldn't read too much into the statement that the K-01 soundstage was "flat" or "collapsed" in comparison to the Lampi. The Esoteric will sound different based on what input was used, what cables were used, what filters were used, etc. Was the system optimized for the Lampi? What part did the rest of the system(s) play in this? We've all heard tube bloom, it's real and can have an effect on apparent soundstage and depth. I will say that the Esoteric, when set up correctly, throws an immense soundstage with tremendous depth. I will also say that the rest of the system should be optimized for this to occur correctly. It is just as valid and possible that in an appropriate system, the Lampi may not sound nearly as good as the Esoteric.

Hi Steve,

I run the Esoteric K-01 DAC at +6dB output on the asychronous USB setting with a WW Platinum 7 USB cable. The rest of the system is a Soulution 520 Pre, 501 mono amps and Raidho D3's. I'm getting world class sound quality in my opinion and the soundstage is huge. The K-01 holds up its end and then some in my system. I've heard few digital front ends that can match it.

Best,
Ken

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I think the data from those that own a K-01 or K-03 on this thread is unanimous in that both units are far from flat or collapsed in sound stage. My guess is whomever showcased their D-01 had no system synergy. Just the fact that K-01 was reported as "flat" discredits any review irrespective of how good the Lampizator might sound. Not saying the Lampi is by any means a bad DAC, but that the baseline to compare is flawed...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As I mentioned, I can put you across to the owner of the K01 and the clock who will tell you that without the clock it sounds flat, in case you need another opinion.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi, I had taken my Lampi to owners of the esoteric, so obviously the system was optimized for Esoteric. They heard Lampi for the first time. I have already mentioned the system details above - post 243 and 247

Hi Bonzo,

I hope all is well with you. No one is questioning that the Lampi Big 7 is a terrific sounding DAC or that some may prefer its sound to the Esoteric K-01. But to make the claim that the K-01 sound stage is flat or collapses without the G-01 clock is just plain silly. As I stated above, I've been running the K-01 with the Soulution 520 Pre, Soulution 501 mono amps and Raidho D3 for the last three months and the sound stage is as big (well beyond the walls of the room) or as small as the recorded venue. It is anything but flat or collapsed. I am also hearing tremendous nuance, amazing timbral purity, great dynamics and a wonderful ease on recordings. Not the least bit analytical. Yes, adding the G-01 clock does make a material improvement in all areas, but at an MSRP of $23,000 it most definitely should. But the K-01 lacks nothing in my opinion. That's why it is a reference level digital source and the choice of many.

Best,
Ken

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ken, I would request you to get a clock and compare it with and without

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Hi Bonzo,

I intend to do this comparison as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I know three individuals who own the G-01 clock and while each reported a more focused image, increased air around vocals and instruments and more spatial ambience with the G-01, not one of them felt the K-01's or K-01X's soundstage sounded flat or collapsed comparatively. I would suggest that there may be another issue with the individual's system you are dealing with that would lead to this conclusion.

Best,
Ken

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
This is obviously going nowhere. We will all have to agree to disagree with Bonzo whose 1 friend and system experience has quantified that the K-01 sound stage/depth is sub-par and somewhat better with a clock vs all of us who actually have Esoteric units and hear the contrary clock or not.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
This is obviously going nowhere. We will all have to agree to disagree with Bonzo whose 1 friend and system experience has quantified that the K-01 sound stage/depth is sub-par and somewhat better with a clock vs all of us who actually have Esoteric units and hear the contrary clock or not.

Yes, you are right, we will all have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't normally go to this length to make my point but when I read some misinformation about a top-notch product I happen to own, I feel the need to speak up. In my opinion, the K-01 and K-01X are world class digital players with no material weak points without the G-01 clock. With the G-01 clock, they are even better.

Best,
Ken

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hi to all.. has anyone listen to new Musical Fidelity MX DSD DAC? looks well constructed and has nice specs.. also utilizes the PCM1795 native dsd chip instead of ES9018 sabre that the most competitors adopt..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing