DMC 20 is still a valid choice ?

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi all,
now it's time to evaluate the preamp for my DMA 200 S2.
I have these alternatives:
- DMC15 SS new from dealer
- DMC 30 SS series 2 (upgraded from SS by Spectral for the dealer) at a good price but overbudget
- DMC 20 S2 used from the internet with phono, I really appreciate this feature

Because the DMC20 is impossible to listen before buying, I just wonder if, despite of its age, it can be considered a preamp sonically comparable to the latest 15 SS, or not.
In other hands, if now, the 20, is too old when compared to the 15 ss with an additional phono amp of my choice (as discussed some time ago in this section, there are a lot of alternatives).

Because I need a very good phono preamp for driving my Dynavector xx2 mk2.

Any help to sonically place the 20 S2 in comparison to the 15 SS will be appreciated.

Thanks !
Max

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi all,
- DMC 30 SS series 2 (upgraded from SS by Spectral for the dealer) at a good price but overbudget

Because the DMC20 is impossible to listen before buying, I just wonder if, despite of its age, it can be considered a preamp sonically comparable to the latest 15 SS, or not.
In other hands, if now, the 20, is too old when compared to the 15 ss with an additional phono amp of my choice (as discussed some time ago in this section, there are a lot of alternatives).

Any help to sonically place the 20 S2 in comparison to the 15 SS will be appreciated.

Thanks !
Max

I think the 20 shows its age. Heard it some time ago..later heard the 30 SL (so not even the latest "30") and the 30SL was better. But the question should be: is it all about resolution or musicality? If it is the latter, the 20 might suffice. But it is all Spectral, so great. However, about buying a used 20... check when it was last serviced by Spectral. Good luck!

Reactions: analyzer

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
thanks nirodha,
the 30 maybe is over budget, I will try to listen a 15 SS (next friday it will be in my home, hopefully).
If anyone can describe the 20 II compared to the 15SS will give me more elements to make a good saving buying a 20 or it will be better to go with the 15.
-Max

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Max,

The DMC 20 II is a preamp I would buy without an audition. If I were in your position, I would not hesitate to acquire it. On the other hand, I will hesitate on the DMC 15. In my experience, the DMC 6, DMC 12, and DMC 15 are not built to the same quality as the DMC 10, DMC 20, and DMC 30. With the DMC 20 II, you have a phono stage that is a good match with the dynavector cartridge. In the future, you can acquire a DMC 30 line stage to plug the DMC 20 II into in case you are not satisfied with the DMC 20 II. When you have 2 Spectral preamps/line stages, you can hook them up in series and enjoy a more engaging, dimensional, more highly resolved sound.

Sam

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi Mullard,
thanks for your contribution.
The day after tomorrow I will be to Spectral dealer to take a 15SS or 30SL/SS to my home. Another friend -spectral owner in years- told me this morning he didn't heard any difference between the 20 II and the 30 when the first 30 was out.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Max,

Have fun at your Spectral dealer. If the dealer is very accommodating, you can experiment with two Spectral line stages in series. Connect the main out of the first line stage into an input of the second line stage, then connect from main out of the second line stage into the power amp. You can adjust the volume control of each line stage independently until you are satisfied with the volume level.

Sam

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi Sam,
unfortunately I will test the 15SS and the 30SS2 but not a 20 with phono :(

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Max,

If your dealer permits, you can connect any two Spectral line stages in series.

Sam

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi all, after some time I take my decision.
I listened a 20 series 1 (the only one I could listen) and its sound was too far from a modern 15SS, too laid-back in my opinion.
Because of limited budget, the daler suggested me to buy initially a new 15SS. He also states that probably in 2015 there will be out from Spectral a new preamp (40?) and, due to this reason, he expect to trade in a lot of 30SS for the new preamp, with the result I can buy an used 30SS with not so much money in difference.
For phono preamp I found a very interesting gear, to use in the meantime, that is the battery-powered Musical Surroundings Nova II. Nice sound and not so expensive, very good.
For DAC section I am seriously thinking to buy back my Weiss 202. Acually I'm listening with the DAC section of my McIntosh C2500 and I really anjoy it. So it is not to exclude I will buy a McIntosh D100 DAC. Other competitors will be the Italian North Star Supremo and DCS Debussy if I can find one to listen.

Cabling: now I also bought the new MIT SL-MAtrix 26i and they seems to be ok to be a good starting point.

I am very satisfied for the result. :)

Max

MLAS

Mar 18, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks !
Max
"DMC 20 is still a valid choice ?"

I hope to find out this week. I have a DMC-10 (Delta) and a DMC-20 (S1) with 202 phonocard and Balanced in should be coming tomorrow.
I find the DMC-10 very good in every aspect so my hopes are high for his bigger brother...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing