Dynavector XV-1t

number95

May 14, 2014
Considering that cartridge. Did listen to 1s and really liked it (with SME 20/12 + V-12). I am curious if any 1s or 1t owners using them with heavier tonearms? How does 1s compare to 1t as price tag is 2 times? I consider to use with second tonearm which is 12" Ikeda 407. My Graham Elite is reserved by ZYX.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
You can goto vinyl engine and use specs or cart and arm to calculate arm cart resonance,
its compliance is on lower end so should work well with heavier arms

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Dynavector&t=any&mod=&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

wonder cartridge at this level it becomes more a matter of taste s is more analytic t more romantic imho

the mono is nearly the compliance at 6 versus 10

number95

May 14, 2014
You can goto vinyl engine and use specs or cart and arm to calculate arm cart resonance,
its compliance is on lower end so should work well with heavier arms

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Dynavector&t=any&mod=&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=¬es=&prlo=&prhi=http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

wonder cartridge at this level it becomes more a matter of taste s is more analytic t more romantic imho

the mono is nearly the compliance at 6 versus 10

Thank you for the input. I do not know my Ikeda 407 tonearm's effective mass it is not indicated anywhere although I suspect it should be around 30-35gr. I will ask to my supplier to contact to them to get the figure unless they do not want to specify. Do you know if Dynavectors' comp figures are based on 10hz or 100hz?

number95

May 14, 2014
it's a great cart.... it's in my rotation for use with graham elite and techdas af1. I have no experience with 1s.

Hello Christian,

I guess you did not try it with some other tonearms. How does 1t compare to your stone body Koetsus?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
at this level it becomes more a matter of taste s is more analytic t more romantic imho

Hmm, I think you might be right there. I just installed a 't' yesterday (after using an 's' for years) and while it sounds beautiful, I think it's rolled off in the highs.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hello Christian,

I guess you did not try it with some other tonearms. How does 1t compare to your stone body Koetsus?

It's a different sound...I think the bass is more pronounced and extended and the cart is a bit faster than Koetsu. I love both and cannot pick one over the other. Koetsu has a more beautiful midrange.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hmm, I think you might be right there. I just installed a 't' yesterday (after using an 's' for years) and while it sounds beautiful, I think it's rolled off in the highs.

XV-1t has output impedance of 24 ohms while the XV-1s has an output impedance of 6 ohms. If you did not change your phono input impedance, you may have rolled off the highs.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

number95

May 14, 2014
It's a different sound...I think the bass is more pronounced and extended and the cart is a bit faster than Koetsu. I love both and cannot pick one over the other. Koetsu has a more beautiful midrange.

Thank you. Btw, just for my curiosity, when you swap your cartridges on your Graham Elite, how do you adjust azimuth, via Fozgometer and/or Adjust+? The beauty of using headshell is once you adjust the optimum azimuth setting, swapping headshells do not have an impact, so that is the idea for me to use multi cartridges on Ikeda tonearm via extra headshells while keeping a reference cartridge at optimum settings w/o swapping on Graham (which is Zyx Universe Premium, a fantastic cartridge). I need to change the armwand of Graham each time I swap a cartridge and need to set the azimuth from the tonearm, well it is not a big deal perhaps, taking some time and attention, but when I think I found a perfect balance (including critical vta, vtf, azimuth, anti-skating) I am a bit nervous to go back to the same exact settings after swapping cartridges. Maybe I am too skeptic :cool:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
In vinyl engine you will also find tonearm database where you can find ikeda data for resonance calculator

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Loading does not effect frequency response of mc but effect of rf on circuit in resistor loaded circuits
In circuits immune to effected by rf then loading for mc carts is pretty uniform
MC is current device not voltage once it has a resistor across it you have your circuit much more than 100 ohms and it's pretty well unloaded and variations above 100 ohm make little difference for vast majority of carts frequency response
What your hearing is differences RF is effecting your phono and the different loads are modifying that

number95

May 14, 2014
In vinyl engine you will also find tonearm database where you can find ikeda data for resonance calculator

Thanks. I checked that database, again the effective mass is not specifed, only headshell weight is given as 17 gr. I presume the effective mass should be between 30-35gr, just an estimate.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I agree...I would not call the 1t rolled at all, up top.

Christian, if you ever used the 't' with your XP-25, what loading do you use?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thank you. Btw, just for my curiosity, when you swap your cartridges on your Graham Elite, how do you adjust azimuth, via Fozgometer and/or Adjust+? The beauty of using headshell is once you adjust the optimum azimuth setting, swapping headshells do not have an impact, so that is the idea for me to use multi cartridges on Ikeda tonearm via extra headshells while keeping a reference cartridge at optimum settings w/o swapping on Graham (which is Zyx Universe Premium, a fantastic cartridge). I need to change the armwand of Graham each time I swap a cartridge and need to set the azimuth from the tonearm, well it is not a big deal perhaps, taking some time and attention, but when I think I found a perfect balance (including critical vta, vtf, azimuth, anti-skating) I am a bit nervous to go back to the same exact settings after swapping cartridges. Maybe I am too skeptic :cool:

I use a small 6mm circular bubble level first on the head shell, then use the Foz to fine tune.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Thanks. I checked that database, again the effective mass is not specifed, only headshell weight is given as 17 gr. I presume the effective mass should be between 30-35gr, just an estimate.

The overall effective mass
of the 407 is about 33 grams. The Ikeda rep was not prepared to say precisely what the overall effective mass of the arm is. Sometimes these numbers are rough at best. I do know that it works best with a low compliance cartridge ie. Ikeda 9TT, KAI, Miyajima.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
32 grams is my understanding but I don't have it in print

cakeaudio

Jun 8, 2012
Southern California
One thing about the XV-1t, it doesn't come into its own until 30+ hours. I remember the day it broke in, it wasn't subtle or gradual, it suddenly sounded more open and extended. I think it was right about 30 hours...

I spent quite a lot of time adjusting the loading after it broke in and found that 500-600 ohms sounded best to my ears. VTF 1.95g

The rest of my rig is a Brinkmann 2 arm Balance table and 12" Brinkmann arm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing