Dynavector XV-1t

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Setup Specs for the XV1 T is as follows: Recommended load more than 75 ohms. I tried 66 ohms , 75.5 ohms, last 82 ohms. Best for my setup , I used some 75.5 ohm nude Vishay precision resistors. 75 ohms is really the sweet spot in this cartridge, 66 ohms sounded OK, 82 ohms .... the ship sailed. Tracking right at 2.0 grams.

number95

May 14, 2014
Setup Specs for the XV1 T is as follows: Recommended load more than 75 ohms. I tried 66 ohms , 75.5 ohms, last 82 ohms. Best for my setup , I used some 75.5 ohm nude Vishay precision resistors. 75 ohms is really the sweet spot in this cartridge, 66 ohms sounded OK, 82 ohms .... the ship sailed. Tracking right at 2.0 grams.

If I am not wrong, for a 24 ohm mc cartridge, I was expecting 200-500 ohms as sweet spot, no?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Next loading resistance value tried was 100 ohms. Best performance in my system was 75 Ohms. Owned the XV1 S , loading spec is over 30 ohms . Ran it at 30 ohms, next value was 50 ohms. 50 ohm loading ... was not good.

number95

May 14, 2014
Next loading resistance value tried was 100 ohms. Best performance in my system was 75 Ohms. Owned the XV1 S , loading spec is over 30 ohms . Ran it at 30 ohms, next value was 50 ohms. 50 ohm loading ... was not good.

Thank you.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
XV-1t has output impedance of 24 ohms while the XV-1s has an output impedance of 6 ohms. If you did not change your phono input impedance, you may have rolled off the highs.

Thanks, Gary, I had been loading at 100 ohms (the value I used for my XV-1s) and that value isn't a good match.

I am now loading my t at 250 ohms and I have to say I'm blown away by this cartridge. Nothing is ever strident. Compared to my s there is less energy on top but no loss of detail (the s was perhaps analytical by comparison) but there is more meat on the bones and the bass is quicker, punchier and more taut.

cakeaudio

Jun 8, 2012
Southern California
XV-1t loading

Sammy, I recommend you try 400 - 600 ohms. Dynavector recommends >75 ohms, (that is the numeric value, so anything greater than 75 ohms, ie. 80, 100, 200, 300....). This cartridge will sound best somewhere between 250 and 600 ohms. Within that range will be the best sound, at 75 ohms I cant imagine there is much life in the cartridge. If you can, try 500 ohms and let me know how it sounds.

Ken

*Dealer disclosure - Dynavector dealer.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
We did try 320 ohms and 500 ohms. 75 ohms was the clear winner.

My feeling when people ask what loading to use, I say will say it depends. Appropriate Loading will vary by phono stage maker, overall system balance, tonearm choice, ect. 100 ohms may sound good in one system and not in another with the same cart And maybe even arm. One has to rely on their ears.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
My XV-1t settings:

VTF 1.92g
SRA 92.0 degrees by digital microscope
Anti-skate: minimal
Load on ARC Ref 2se: 500 ohm

Love the XV-1t. Does all the XV-1s does but improves liquidity of highs, more detail, deeper taut bass and greatly increased transparency.

number95

May 14, 2014
My XV-1t settings:

VTF 1.92g
SRA 92.0 degrees by digital microscope
Anti-skate: minimal
Load on ARC Ref 2se: 500 ohm

Love the XV-1t. Does all the XV-1s does but improves liquidity of highs, more detail, deeper taut bass and greatly increased transparency.

Which tonearm is your 1t mounted to may I ask?

number95

May 14, 2014
My turntable is a TW Acustic AC-1. Tonearm is a TW 10.5.

Thanks. I am quite convinced about xv-1t after user feedbacks here. The thing is I am not quite sure about the tonearm/cartridge combo as I see mostly user feedback comes for medium mass tonearm.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks. I am quite convinced about xv-1t after user feedbacks here. The thing is I am not quite sure about the tonearm/cartridge combo as I see mostly user feedback comes for medium mass tonearm.

At 13.5 grams the XV-1s is definitely great with higher mass arms. The XV-1t weighs 12 grams so it is a bit lighter. As an owner of both carts, my gut feeling is that despite being a bit lighter, the XV-1t would be fine with the higher mass arms.

number95

May 14, 2014
At 13.5 grams the XV-1s is definitely great with higher mass arms. The XV-1t weighs 12 grams so it is a bit lighter. As an owner of both carts, my gut feeling is that despite being a bit lighter, the XV-1t would be fine with the higher mass arms.

Thank you Philb. Do you have any info as their compliance figures at 10hz or 100hz? I see both have similar compliance of 10 but do not say anything for the hz.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
Thank you Philb. Do you have any info as their compliance figures at 10hz or 100hz? I see both have similar compliance of 10 but do not say anything for the hz.

I am almost certain that the compliance ratings for both the XV-1s and XV-1t are for 100Hz. I will have my local dealer check with the US distributor, Mike Pranka (who is a great guy by the way) and find out for sure.

number95

May 14, 2014
I am almost certain that the compliance ratings for both the XV-1s and XV-1t are for 100Hz. I will have my local dealer check with the US distributor, Mike Pranka (who is a great guy by the way) and find out for sure.

I see. If that 10 compliance figure is at 100hz, that should make higher at 10hz, presumably 15 or so? It may be tricky with a heavier tonearm as when I put the figures on cartridge tonearm resonance calculator, resonant freq comes lower than 6hz (assuming 32 gr effective weight for Ikeda tonearm). That is of course just a rough rule of thumb but again something on paper telling me that mating xv-1t with Ikeda may not be as good as I have considered. On the other hand, in a different forum, another user told me he tried xv-1s both with heavier and medium mass arms and his experience is the cartridge yielded better with heavier arm. If only life was easier in analog :D

cakeaudio

Jun 8, 2012
Southern California
I see. If that 10 compliance figure is at 100hz, that should make higher at 10hz, presumably 15 or so? It may be tricky with a heavier tonearm as when I put the figures on cartridge tonearm resonance calculator, resonant freq comes lower than 6hz (assuming 32 gr effective weight for Ikeda tonearm). That is of course just a rough rule of thumb but again something on paper telling me that mating xv-1t with Ikeda may not be as good as I have considered. On the other hand, in a different forum, another user told me he tried xv-1s both with heavier and medium mass arms and his experience is the cartridge yielded better with heavier arm. If only life was easier in analog :D

Compliance specs for the 1t are: 10 x 10-6 cm/dyn

Ken
Cake Audio

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
In the last years I don’t hear and read much about the XV-1t. Many years ago I had a XV-1s and loved it.
How do you rate the XV-1t today against the newer cartridges on the market, just to name a Miyabi Fuuga, Air Tight Opus 1, Lyra Etna Lambda (SL), or maybe some DS Audio?

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
In the last years I don’t hear and read much about the XV-1t. Many years ago I had a XV-1s and loved it.
How do you rate the XV-1t today against the newer cartridges on the market, just to name a Miyabi Fuuga, Air Tight Opus 1, Lyra Etna Lambda (SL), or maybe some DS Audio?
Just seen this Birdwatcher ,
The XV 1t is a fantastic cartridge , mine is now many years old .
Just put it back in place of my Lyra Lambda ( also excellent ) , so easy to set up .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing