Digital Data Recovery

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Let's talk about something no one wants to ever talk about. No... not that. We'll leave that for another thread!

Here's the scenario. Was downloading some files from HDtracks and wouldn't you know it. HDtracks downloader names the root folder "HDtracks". Unfortunately I have several root folders scattered on my root drives named the same thing.

After downloading the files, I moved the files to the selected drives. I put them in more than one place for redundancy. Now I have CAT5 extenders on these computers since they are nowhere near me and when I type fast, sometimes they have a latency, especially using modifier keys like Ctl and Shft. Do you know what happens when you press these keys down making right/left click commands with windows hidden?

Well I just deleted PCM and DSD files from (2) 6TB hard drives as well as the one folder that I wanted to delete! :eek: Needless to say I didn't do anything else to those drives!!

There is a software that I had used about a year ago that worked pretty good and I wanted to try it again. They have a new version out now, so I plunked down my $49 and downloaded the file. The activation took a few tries because of incorrect instructions, but worked flawlessly after that. Since the 2 hard drives were mirrored, I only needed to do one. I started the software and did a deep scan. It saw all the subfolders and files with proper extensions and put a little red flag by it with a check box. I went through and placed a check mark on all the files I wanted recovered and skipped all the .bin files and such. I just wanted my PCM and DSD files.

I pointed to my NAS and told the software to place the recovered files there and hit "Recover"

I can say after 2 days of running, all the files are recovered perfectly in their proper folder and structure. The software's last version didn't do this for me, but I can say it works this time. I can just imagine what these drives would have cost to recover from an independent vendor. So, if this unfortunate event ever happens to you. STOP.... do NOT do anything with the drive! Immediately download "Stellar Phoenix". This is the best software I have found for digital data recovery from hard drives, thumb drives or any other digital storage media.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing