Frugal speakers at $1000 mark.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I am looking for recommendations for a speaker at around the 1000$ mark secondhand and not difficult to track down.

Ideally something as full-range as possible (down to 30-40Hz would be good), towers or monitors. A well resolved presentation that allows you to hear deep into the music, yet smooth/relaxing opposed to something fatiguing from say a badly implemented Al or Be tweeter. Sins of omission rather than commission :).

Anyone have any good candidates to suggest?

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I have a suggestion for you - Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors. Have had a pair of these for three years or so and enjoy them very much.

There is a pair listed on Audiogon now, asking $800.00. No connection with the seller.

The speakers are well constructed and have high quality drivers - Seas Millenium 7" woofer and Scan-Speak Revelator tweeter.

They go down to 40 hz.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks, looks very interesting. Unfortunately I am in Europe and do not want to ship from the US. Could not find it here on the usual sites :(.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My best bang for the buck has always been Magnepans. Don't know if you have thought about going that route. They are popular enough that you should be able to find some there. The MMG are only $600 new. Pair it with a decent sub and you'll have your full range.
Other speakers I'd look at are Paradigm and Joseph RM7 or Usher

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My best bang for the buck has always been Magnepans. Don't know if you have thought about going that route. They are popular enough that you should be able to find some there. The MMG are only $600 new. Pair it with a decent sub and you'll have your full range.
Other speakers I'd look at are Paradigm and Joseph RM7 or Usher

+1 on Maggies. a Big +1 at that price point. I remember Apogee Stages going for just over $1K as well. I have not heard them in years but still think highly of them. I think at that pricepoint panels are really tough to beat...because you can pair them with a good sub and have a pretty remarkable sound with real magic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would go for Acoustats.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Maggies are a nice suggestion, but it also means the purchase of a sub to get the most from them. Maybe he doesn't have those funds, cause now you're looking at a lot more money. I'd love to make some recommendations, but I have no idea what's easily available for speakers in the EURO marketplace. Full-range for $1,000 is not gonna be easy, but the 2-way Totem Sttaf's go down to about 32hz. Depending on finish and condition you can pick them up here for between $800-$1,100....not sure about Europe though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Maggies are a nice suggestion, but it also means the purchase of a sub to get the most from them. Maybe he doesn't have those funds, cause now you're looking at a lot more money. I'd love to make some recommendations, but I have no idea what's easily available for speakers in the EURO marketplace. Full-range for $1,000 is not gonna be easy, but the 2-way Totem Sttaf's go down to about 32hz. Depending on finish and condition you can pick them up here for between $800-$1,100....not sure about Europe though.

True...but with a RETAIL Maggie MMG at $600...used $350-400? You've got quite a bit leftover from $1K budget to go get a nice sub and extra set of cables.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Guys, this is great, thanks. The panel speakers look interesting, and they are widely available around here. Do they play well with punchy/dynamic modern electronic music?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
EU …..hmmmmm

Dynaudio's modern day equivalent to the 1.1 should be a good match for punchy electronic music.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

THe MMG will go as low as 50 Hz with some authority if provided with sufficient amplifer power and grunt. They don'trequire a sub. Their midbass is extremely good (when properly amplifed) and better than most 2-ways out there even to many above the $5,000 mark ...

This kind of budget will call for subs in the <$500 and there are some more than decent ones. SVS PB1000 comes to mind at $500 ... A pair of those SVS PB 1000 an a pair of MMG will present their owner with an incredible windows of what High-End Audio should be about.

Happy Thanksgiving! People in the USA!!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Guys, this is great, thanks. The panel speakers look interesting, and they are widely available around here. Do they play well with punchy/dynamic modern electronic music?

I found the Apogee Stage's were very good at mid and upper bass...quite powerful. Maybe not at club-i-am-deaf levels...but definitely up to shouting just to hear yourself within a few feet of the speaker levels. Never tried this with Maggies.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My first set of speakers were the Celestion SL6si's and i eventually added a Velodyne Sub. With this budget, you could even go Celestion SL600si plus a Velodyne Sub. There was a magic to Celestions...no, not perfect but the magic they had i really enjoyed for many, many years...

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Usher 6311's. It might be a feat getting them at $1k since they usually sell for $1200-1300, but I've tried to replace them and I just can't. They push some air at 30hz and still put out some decent decibels at 20hz. Polk SDA's like the 2.3tl might do it for you too given your desires, but they are tricky to set up and need about twice your initial investment to really come to life.

My money is on the Ushers though. These are speakers you want off the back wall some as they are a transmission line with a rear port.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Full range speakers for $1000? I'll give the advice I give my friends... Bozak b4000s post 1972 for $500, add $500 for a Fisher 500c receiver. Game over.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I second the Vandersteen 2c. I had the 2Ci for years and they are excellent. Not the best looking speakers but excellent full range sound. The Bozaks, they are really large.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing