Amplifiers for Magico Q7

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
awsmome,

Are you sure the Soulutions have no negative feedback? I believe it's just the opposite. They run on plenty of negative feedback, more than most amplifiers. That's how they provide good, clean bass.

alexandre

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Roysen If the Q 7 is a speaker that needs a minimum of rougly 100 watts to perform , amplification is not a trickle down numbers game like 300 watts for the bass , 30 tube watts for the midbass ( because they are famous for that) and a little single ended 8 watter to get clear highs, to name an example
To make the Q 7 Tri ampable it probably has a parallel filter to start with ,if that is true in tri amped mode the midamps are not connected to anything but the mids( +- ) and those midunits probably only work optimally with 100 watts as well , you cant simply add up all those watts and expect a good result, there is a good chance of dynamic loss

Bi -amping would probably be separate bass , separate mid/highs

Besides that you need a lot of gain adjustability as mike lavigne explained

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi think the atmaspheres are wonderful:) though a lot lot lot of heat .....

But if you like the fuller sound consider the Soulution 501 as this has virtually no negative feedback 0.1db and so acts more like a SET with 6000 watts instantaneous power!!!
and amazing bass as per J Valin and my own listening

The other to consider is Devialet 800 which i thought was wonderful in multi amp active system, and Jeff Fritz loved with Q7 !

I'm sorry, but Soulution sounds nothing like SET.

Royson- think you have analysis paralysis. Get rid of the Arbiters which arent your sound apparently. If you crave lamms or atmas, you have the wrong speaker.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wrong speaker? Why? I don't think Lamms would be bad on the Q7. Much less the big Atmasphere.
If anything, for a speaker of that size, the Q7 is fairly easy to drive.
He's going to run 2 monster QSubs, so bass is not an issue. And I bet it'll be easier to integrate the 2 subs to the Lamm+Q7 than to bi-amp it and have a Class D (or sound-a-like equivalent, like Soulution) for the bass drivers of the Q7.

alexandre

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
awsmone- I think both you and Alex are technically correct. Soulution only uses a small amount of feedback at a given point, but over a much, much smaller timeframe---so uses it much more often. I think Halcro did something similar, but its been awhile. Its a high negative feedback model in my opinion, but I'm not that technically savvy- perhaps Ralph can chime in here. In the Stereophile review of the 710, graph 4 speaks to negative feedback use (declining distortion as power increases) and there are some higher order harmonics (albeit very, very low in nature).

asiufy- Magico recommends 50w on the 7s, but really after looking at a score of measurements on the Qs and Ss lately, I think 30w SET is a tall order. The Lamm ML3 really runs well at 10w according to the Sphile measurements and then distortion rises well over 1%. Since SETs have rising distortion because of no feedback, you really want to run them at a fraction of rated power anyways I'd think. Also, Magico tends to overstate efficiency. Hifi News in the Q3 review stated the 3 has a pretty wicked phase angle (-71 degrees at 57hz)- and that the speaker is more like a 3 ohm nominal load, not 4. The 7 is probably more like 90dbs adjusting for impedance but likely also has a similar phase angle in the bass since it and the 3 are of similar cloth as I recall. So can you do 10-15w on a 90db speaker with impedance dips in the 2s? Maybe, but I'd want to hear it first- and since the amp costs like 150k, frankly I'd demand it. My guess is 50w P/P probably would work.

I keep coming to Ralph's power vs voltage paradigm on this as well- the Q7 is definitely the latter. I can totally understand how the Dartzeel 108 has no problems with this speaker. In fact, as you probably assume, I'd recommend the 458s and be done with it :) You won't need bi-amping and you get all the benefits of a zero global negative feedback loop in a package as fine as a Vacheron watch. But when I hear how the Arbiter isn't tonally correct and the OP wants to do bi-amping because of it, I think that's the absolute wrong direction and trying to correct a deficiency instead of finding something that works in the first place. I haven't heard the Arbiter (not many have), so I can't really be of more help on that side.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I think you need to read the link i provided

The 501 is not a 700 or 710

They specifically state it has very little feedback

Like the Series 7 amplifiers the 501 and 530 do have a global negative feedback loop. As the Series 5 amplifiers are very precise in the first place, the amount of feedback required in this loop is very low or close to nonexistent. We apply less than 0.1 dB
of negative feedback. The stability of the fully con- trolled switched-mode power supply unit of the Se- ries 5 amplifiers helps to further reduce this value. Very good tube amplifier designs, with low feedback, usually have more than 10dB in the global feedback loop (100 times more!).

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Are you sure the Soulutions have no negative feedback? I believe it's just the opposite. They run on plenty of negative feedback, more than most amplifiers. That's how they provide good, clean bass.

http://www.bm.rs/Soulution/Soulution%20Visit%20to%20-%20TAS%20BG%20Electronics%202013.pdf

And sorry I didn't say sounds... I said acts as in low negative feedback

And have you heard the 501s?

Nice article.

Bit of a marketing effort though, as the interviewer does not ask further when there would be a reason to. For example, Soulution states that their first amps didn't have a switch mode power supply, because around 2000 there were no switch mode power supply modules suitable for high end power amplification. Really? So the Chord Electronics amps of that time were not really good? Same as the Linn Klimax? Hmmm.....

Ok, sorry for off-topic reply....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think you need to read the link i provided

The 501 is not a 700 or 710

They specifically state it has very little feedback

Like the Series 7 amplifiers the 501 and 530 do have a global negative feedback loop. As the Series 5 amplifiers are very precise in the first place, the amount of feedback required in this loop is very low or close to nonexistent. We apply less than 0.1 dB
of negative feedback. The stability of the fully con- trolled switched-mode power supply unit of the Se- ries 5 amplifiers helps to further reduce this value. Very good tube amplifier designs, with low feedback, usually have more than 10dB in the global feedback loop (100 times more!).

I did read the article- you need to read up more on soulution design as expressed elsewhere in regards to time domain/wide bandwidth. And notice he says "like the 7 series"

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Soulution like a SET , welll not in the set ups ive heard, ive heard both the big boys and the 501 s.
Manufacturers will mostly state the minimum amount of power to drive the speakers on the low side , to increase the market for the design , but to fully exploit the possiblities of the speaker to the max you might need quite a bit more power.
In the case of the ML 3-Q 7 for example , it might work and still be great for small chamber music , but when everything gets complex/ dynamic it might run out of steam

For me it would be easy, this would be the great allround couple , if i was listening to merely music i probably would choose a high quality /high power tube amp as well , never heard the darts yet :

catsl1 legend by andromeda61, on Flickr

Boulder's 3060 amplifier is a Class A amplifier that utilizes 120 output devices to produce 900 watts into any impedance load by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
awsmone- I think both you and Alex are technically correct. Soulution only uses a small amount of feedback at a given point, but over a much, much smaller timeframe---so uses it much more often. I think Halcro did something similar, but its been awhile. Its a high negative feedback model in my opinion, but I'm not that technically savvy- perhaps Ralph can chime in here. In the Stereophile review of the 710, graph 4 speaks to negative feedback use (declining distortion as power increases) and there are some higher order harmonics (albeit very, very low in nature).

asiufy- Magico recommends 50w on the 7s, but really after looking at a score of measurements on the Qs and Ss lately, I think 30w SET is a tall order. The Lamm ML3 really runs well at 10w according to the Sphile measurements and then distortion rises well over 1%. Since SETs have rising distortion because of no feedback, you really want to run them at a fraction of rated power anyways I'd think. Also, Magico tends to overstate efficiency. Hifi News in the Q3 review stated the 3 has a pretty wicked phase angle (-71 degrees at 57hz)- and that the speaker is more like a 3 ohm nominal load, not 4. The 7 is probably more like 90dbs adjusting for impedance but likely also has a similar phase angle in the bass since it and the 3 are of similar cloth as I recall. So can you do 10-15w on a 90db speaker with impedance dips in the 2s? Maybe, but I'd want to hear it first- and since the amp costs like 150k, frankly I'd demand it. My guess is 50w P/P probably would work.

I keep coming to Ralph's power vs voltage paradigm on this as well- the Q7 is definitely the latter. I can totally understand how the Dartzeel 108 has no problems with this speaker. In fact, as you probably assume, I'd recommend the 458s and be done with it :) You won't need bi-amping and you get all the benefits of a zero global negative feedback loop in a package as fine as a Vacheron watch. But when I hear how the Arbiter isn't tonally correct and the OP wants to do bi-amping because of it, I think that's the absolute wrong direction and trying to correct a deficiency instead of finding something that works in the first place. I haven't heard the Arbiter (not many have), so I can't really be of more help on that side.

very interesting explanation...thanks from a non-techie.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Keith

you mean:-

SOULUTION 501 MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER: FIRST LISTEN
Powerhouse!
Blog
by Jonathan Valin | Dec 10th, 2012
Categories: Solid-state power amplifiers

One of the secrets to both the 500 Series’ and the 700 Series’ sonic success is standard-settingly lower distortion, achieved by slightly unusual means. Where every other tube and solid-state amp designer I can think of flees from a large amount of negative feedback like the plague, Soulution has rushed to embrace it. It is Soulution’s contention that negative feedback in itself has gotten a bad rap; it isn’t feedback but the time it takes to send the “corrected” signal from the output to the input (technically, propagation delay) that causes the problems. Unless that propagation delay is zero or close to zero, applying feedback will add time-domain errors to the musical signal, since as time goes by (and music doesn’t sit still for a portrait shot) the feedback loop will be “comparing apples at the output to oranges at the input” (in the words of Cyrill Hammer, Soulution’s CEO).

In the 700 Series, Soulution’s, uh, solution to the propagation delay problem was to increase the amp’s bandwidth to the megahertz region and, thereby, increase the speed with which the feedback loop does its thing by a factor of 1000. Most amplifiers and preamplifiers work with a propagation delay of 1–5 microseconds; Soulution’s amplifiers and preamplifiers work with an overall propagation delay of 5–10 nanoseconds, reduced to 1–2 nanoseconds in the voltage amplification stage—where most of the negative feedback is applied. To quote Hammer again: “Since the timing errors of the Soulution amplifiers are negligible, we have the opportunity to apply as much negative feedback as we need wherever it is required in the amplifier without reducing sonic performance. This is how we can lower distortion to never-before-seen levels.”

Lower distortion certainly helps explain the Soulution 501/520’s terrific top-to-bottom clarity and resolution. But the phenomenal distortion numbers alone (THD is less than 0.001% and SNR greater than 120dB) can’t explain why Soulution’s new 500 Series electronics sound so world-beatingly “real” (and exciting) in the bottom octaves. You might think that its power delivery was a matter of sheer watts, but, while more than capable of driving the C 4.1s to louder-than-life levels, the 501s are only rated at 125W into 8 ohms, 250W into 4 ohms, and 500W into 2 ohms. Voltage, amperage, and peak power, however, are different stories.

Yes I think i am aware....lol

the 500 Series circuits differ from those of the 700 Series electronics?
Yes, the Series 5 amplifiers do follow the design principles that are similar to those of their bigger counterparts. The voltage amplifier does work with lowest propagation delays (the best conditions
for applying negative feedback wherever needed
)wever, the design of the Series 5 voltage amplifier is less complex. The current stage of
the Series 5 amplifier has just five transistors per side (NPN/PNP) whereas the Series 7 amplifier has seven transistors per side. Therefore the current rating of the 501 mono amplifier and 530 integrated amplifier is limited to 45 ampere (where the 700/710 are capable of 60 ampere).

I think if you reread the article its all there

as to the amps Chord's is i believe proprietary not off the shelf so I am guessing Soulution couldn't or didn't want to buy the technology....

And once again i didn't say sounded like SET :)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Keith

Powerhouse!
Blog

One of the secrets to both the 500 Series’ and the 700 Series’ sonic success is standard-settingly lower distortion, achieved by slightly unusual means. Where every other tube and solid-state amp designer I can think of flees from a large amount of negative feedback like the plague, Soulution has rushed to embrace it. It is Soulution’s contention that negative feedback in itself has gotten a bad rap; it isn’t feedback but the time it takes to send the “corrected” signal from the output to the input (technically, propagation delay) that causes the problems. Unless that propagation delay is zero or close to zero, applying feedback will add time-domain errors to the musical signal, since as time goes by (and music doesn’t sit still for a portrait shot) the feedback loop will be “comparing apples at the output to oranges at the input” (in the words of Cyrill Hammer, Soulution’s CEO).

In the 700 Series, Soulution’s, uh, solution to the propagation delay problem was to increase the amp’s bandwidth to the megahertz region and, thereby, increase the speed with which the feedback loop does its thing by a factor of 1000. Most amplifiers and preamplifiers work with a propagation delay of 1–5 microseconds; Soulution’s amplifiers and preamplifiers work with an overall propagation delay of 5–10 nanoseconds, reduced to 1–2 nanoseconds in the voltage amplification stage—where most of the negative feedback is applied. To quote Hammer again: “Since the timing errors of the Soulution amplifiers are negligible, we have the opportunity to apply as much negative feedback as we need wherever it is required in the amplifier without reducing sonic performance. This is how we can lower distortion to never-before-seen levels.”

Lower distortion certainly helps explain the Soulution 501/520’s terrific top-to-bottom clarity and resolution. But the phenomenal distortion numbers alone (THD is less than 0.001% and SNR greater than 120dB) can’t explain why Soulution’s new 500 Series electronics sound so world-beatingly “real” (and exciting) in the bottom octaves. You might think that its power delivery was a matter of sheer watts, but, while more than capable of driving the C 4.1s to louder-than-life levels, the 501s are only rated at 125W into 8 ohms, 250W into 4 ohms, and 500W into 2 ohms. Voltage, amperage, and peak power, however, are different stories.

Yes, the Series 5 amplifiers do follow the design principles that are similar to those of their bigger counterparts. The voltage amplifier does work with lowest propagation delays (the best conditions
)wever, the design of the Series 5 voltage amplifier is less complex. The current stage of
the Series 5 amplifier has just five transistors per side (NPN/PNP) whereas the Series 7 amplifier has seven transistors per side. Therefore the current rating of the 501 mono amplifier and 530 integrated amplifier is limited to 45 ampere (where the 700/710 are capable of 60 ampere).

as to the amps Chord's is i believe proprietary not off the shelf so I am guessing Soulution couldn't or didn't want to buy the technology....

Thanks for posting! I am loving my 501's two months in.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith

Powerhouse!
Blog

You're interpreting it incorrectly. They use feedback locally and often. Global Feedback here is a red herring. Look at the measurements and compare with Lamm.

Ralph can explain it better.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thx Keith

But I am not interpreting anything

As these are quotes not my own words :)

I am merely highlighting areas as you said I wasn't aware of propagation and bandwidth which are clearly in the quotes

:)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thx Keith

But I am not interpreting anything

As these are quotes not my own words :)

I am merely highlighting areas as you said I wasn't aware of propagation and bandwidth which are clearly in the quotes

:)

From current TAS:

"Both the new and the old power amplifirs work with close to zero (0.1dB) global negative feedback (where we have just 1MHz of bandwidth of work with), but we use a lot of negative feedback in the local loops (where bandwidth goes up to 200MHz). The speed of the feedback loop is absolutely key for best sonic results. "

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

http://www.bm.rs/Soulution/Soulution Visit to - TAS BG Electronics 2013.pdf

And sorry I didn't say sounds... I said acts as in low negative feedback

And have you heard the 501s?

Only briefly (once). Had more time with the previous 7xx series, with linear PS and gobs of negative feedback (and you could totally hear it).

alexandre

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Only briefly (once). Had more time with the previous 7xx series, with linear PS and gobs of negative feedback (and you could totally hear it).

alexandre

Yes, they run a lot of feedback but according to their advertising the speed of their amplifir circuit makes their amplifier immune to phase distortion normally associated with feedback in other amplifiers. I used to be a Soulution distributor, so I have had a pretty in-depth training by Cyrill Hammer himself on this issue. One of the advantages of having an amplifier circuit with a bandwidth of 40MHz is that you are able to use feedback at a speed that doesn't provide any audible phase distortion. That is what Soulution used to do in the 700 Series. What they do in the 501 and 701 with their new SMPS I don't know.

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I did read the article- you need to read up more on soulution design as expressed elsewhere in regards to time domain/wide bandwidth. And notice he says "like the 7 series"

The 501 uses a SMPS like the 701. In fact the 501 were the model for the 701s design. So the 501 is very different from the 700.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I would assume that whoever designs Magico crossovers goes to great lengths to assure coherence. Introducing an external crossover could screw the coherence up dramatically...IMUO..(In My Uninformed Opinion)..

Agreed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing