Denon's 2010 BD player line up

hifiguymi

Apr 26, 2010
Howell, MI
Denon is finally offering some BD players for audio enthusiasts at lower price points.

DBP-1611UD - $399.99
DVD-Audio and SACD playback
DSD to PCM conversion for SACD output via HDMI
1GB on-board memory for BD-Live
USB input for memory expansion and media playback
Netflix and YouTube streaming (more content TBD)
DLNA v1.5 certified for network audio/video/photo streaming
HDMI 1.4a output
3D capable with firmware update
Two channel audio output

DBP-2011UDCI - $799.99
Same as DBP-1611UC except for the following
HDCD playback
ABT-1030 scaler for DVD playback
Noise Shaped Video™
D.D.V.C. (Dual Discrete Video Circuitry) Independent pathways for interlaced and progressive video
7.1 channel analog outputs with all new 32-bit 192-kHz audio DACs
RS-232 Control
Aluminum front panel

DBP-4010UDCI - $1,999.99
Continues

DVD-A1UDCI - $4,499.99
Continues

Overall pretty nice I must say.

Eric

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good deal. Any idea on disc loading performance? Problem with their old high-end line was the slow performance compared to much cheaper gear such as Oppo.

BTW, it is great to see HDCD out of my old team still living on! :) We gave it away once we bought Pacific Microsonics which no doubt is responsible for continued support.....

hifiguymi

Apr 26, 2010
Howell, MI
I don't know about load time just yet. It looks like from the info I have the two new players have different chip sets than what Denon has used in the past so I'm hoping they are faster. These are the first players to have a USB jack so that coupled with the streaming would lead be to believe that they are using a different chip set. I have the DBP-2010CI now, which I really like, and it's not that slow but it could be faster. I'll probably sell it and get the DBP-2011UDCI later this year.

HDCD is still around but it seems to me that it's slowly disappearing. Rotel used to have it on all of their SS preamps and receivers but not in the new 15 Series and Denon keeps moving it up to higher price points in their gear. I suppose it's due to the decline of the CD market because I don't know of any other medium that uses it. Is there anything else that does?

Eric

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The issue with HDCD is lack of product support on ADC side. We sold off the hardware to another company who I think shut it down. The other issue is decoder which is probably getting harder to do. In the old days, they would buy a dedicated chip for it. Now with high level of integration in DSPs, it would need to be in software. From what I recall, we gave the rights to Motorola to the software version but I don't recall if Analog Devices and such got it and hence all of their design wins would be devoid of that functionality.

For folks not remembering who was behind HDCD, it is the same folks behind Berkeley DACs: http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/company.html.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It looks like from the info I have the two new players have different chip sets than what Denon has used in the past so I'm hoping they are faster.
Do they say what they use? If so, and it is MedaTek, then that is the fast performer that Oppo and all of its clones use.

hifiguymi

Apr 26, 2010
Howell, MI
Denon never says who they use. I either find out by taking the lid off myself or finding out on a forum from someone else that has.

Eric

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looking at the press release, there are some other goodies including 3-D support with a future firmware update, HDMI 1.4a and another technology from my old team, WMA :D.

Sadly, it makes no mention of improved disc loading performance.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Disc load is an issue I never really got. Little annoying standing there waiting for the drawer to open on first power up but after that it never seemed to be a big thing. Maybe because growing up with LP's makes it seem simple.

That aside I haven't tried the new Denon's. I do want to add SACD at some time, either universal or a second player. And even now how fast it loads won't be anywhere near the top of the list of got to do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing