Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
It will last until your wife dusts your table. :eek:

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would say it depends on the cartridge and what the manufacturer suggests, although I would take that with a grain of salt. Remember, they're in the business of selling more cartridges, regardless of claims they may make. It also depends on how well you take care of the cartridge and the records being played with it.

1,500 hrs at 40 minutes per LP (20 per side) equates to 2,250 LP's being played. That's not bad.

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
1,500 hrs at 40 minutes per LP (20 per side) equates to 2,250 LP's being played. That's not bad.

Thanks ! it is long enough to give me the time to want to try another cartridge !!... even if I am really satisfied with my current one...

By the way, although it is definitely not a pb, is there a "rational" way to identifiy when a cartridge needs to be replaced , except the "feeling" that the sound is degraded ?...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks ! it is long enough to give me the time to want to try another cartridge !!... even if I am really satisfied with my current one...

By the way, although it is definitely not a pb, is there a "rational" way to identifiy when a cartridge needs to be replaced , except the "feeling" that the sound is degraded ?...

Provided that the cartridge is in good shape and nothing is wrong with it, then I think it's a "feeling" you get, but in reverse. When you get a new cartridge it doesn't always sound all that great, because it needs time to settle in or "break-in". When it starts to perform at its optimal level you'll know...it'll just just come to you in a session. You'll get one of those "oh, my God...this sounds amazing" moments. Same thing at the opposite end of the scale. Maybe you're finding that the music is no longer involving like it once and this is happening more and more. Likely time for a change.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My ripping project (almost 9000 records in 4+ years, with about 2000 to go) has been a good test for cartridge longevity. I started the project with an almost new Lyra Skala and had to replace it about a year or so ago after doing about 6000 records. It started to sound funny - fairly slow decline in sound quality. It also meant that I had to rerip several hundred records which I had done during the decline period before I realized what was going on. I stayed with a Skala, since I was comfortable with the sound and the overall quality.

Larry

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
hen you get a new cartridge it doesn't always sound all that great, because it needs time to settle in or "break-in". When it starts to perform at its optimal level you'll know...it'll just just come to you in a session. You'll get one of those "oh, my God...this sounds amazing" moments. Same thing at the opposite end of the scale. Maybe you're finding that the music is no longer involving like it once and this is happening more and more. Likely time for a change.

Thanks : mine should have just reached 50% of its breakin period... sound is improvement from vinyl to vinyl...

Thanks for your reply and the other ones

BillWojo

Jun 11, 2015
Burlington, NJ
I thought that cartridges never wore out, just the stylus did. And if it doesn't have a replaceable stylus, you send it out for retipping. If any of you folks with the expensive cartridges find that they are getting in your way after wearing out, than please send them to me. I'll even pay the postage.
Thanks

BillWojo

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I thought that cartridges never wore out, just the stylus did. And if it doesn't have a replaceable stylus, you send it out for retipping. If any of you folks with the expensive cartridges find that they are getting in your way after wearing out, than please send them to me. I'll even pay the postage.
Thanks

BillWojo

I'll also take worn out cartridges. ...Shipping's on me.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I thought that cartridges never wore out, just the stylus did. And if it doesn't have a replaceable stylus, you send it out for retipping.

Suspension systems can show plenty wear & tear, sometimes more than the stylus.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That would be the rounded rubber grommet holding the stylus (suspension). I've never seen a worn one. ...Even after 40 years.

The stylus; depending of the cut and quality...500 to 3,000 hours+.

Experts can tell if I'm wrong, or right. Me, I'm just a small fish in that peaceful pond across the ocean.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
That would be the rounded rubber grommet holding the stylus (suspension). I've never seen a worn one. ...Even after 40 years.

grommets, over time, like any rubber, harden, you may not see that, but you'll hear it. I gently apply a rubber renew product on my carts grommets.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
grommets, over time, like any rubber, harden, you may not see that, but you'll hear it. I gently apply a rubber renew product on my carts grommets.

So you can restore them when you can hear the suspension failing? ...Cool, you retain your cart and just restore the rounded rubber.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
------------

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing