Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord Review

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I did as that was what I was using. Simply put there really is no comparison. I found the top end on the Sigma to be more extended and the bottom end far more articulate and so much better than the Valhalla. I sold my Valhalla PC's 3 months ago
OK, you prefer Sigma top and bottom end to Valhalla. How about ambient retrieval and clarity?

I'm very happy with Valhalla PC on my pre and trying to decide adding one for the DAC or buy 2 Sigma analogs (1 for pre and other for DAC). I'm afraid of losing Valhalla positive attributes by moving to Sigma.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have had an all Valhalla wired system for the past 10-12 years and always felt pleased with what I had. Then I started reading peoples' experiences here at WBF and there didn't seem to be any negative side. So I gradually transitioned to an all Shunyata wired system as well as one Triton ( new Triton V2 is on order) and 3 Typhons and frankly there is no comparison even with the top of the line Shunyata Sigma PC's vs my Valhalla PC's

Not only will you not lose the Valhalla ambient retrieval and clarity but what you will hear in addition is staggering as to being so much better as to the amount of information that you just haven't heard before. And this is not a matter of something being different but rather something being not only better but magnitudes better and at an MSRP far lower than Valhalla

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Digital or HC

The Sigma series simply put Frank is a better cable than even the Anaconda because of the filters used.When the Alpha series was released I kept my Anaconda PC's but when I heard the Sigma, the Anacondas have been removed from my system. Its no comparison

Hey Steve, I have Anaconda Zitrons. If I just bought ONE Sigma for now, should I get the Digital for my Vivaldi DAC (plugged into a Synergistic Research Power Cell) or the HC for my Spectral amp (plugged into the wall, which may soon turn into Constellation or Soulution, if that matters for HC). Thanks, Steve

Steve Williams

Steve

If you live in Laguna Beach you are but a 20 minute drive to my house and 35 minutes from Long Beach to hear the different cables

It is a tough question to answer but I started with the Digital in my system and then added the HC and finally the Analog

BTW if one were to have only Anaconda in his system he would still be quite happy. My biggest mistake (to my wallet) was auditioning these cables in my system. It is nigh onto impossible to send these cables back

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I have had an all Valhalla wired system for the past 10-12 years and always felt pleased with what I had. Then I started reading peoples' experiences here at WBF and there didn't seem to be any negative side. So I gradually transitioned to an all Shunyata wired system as well as one Triton ( new Triton V2 is on order) and 3 Typhons and frankly there is no comparison even with the top of the line Shunyata Sigma PC's vs my Valhalla PC's

Not only will you not lose the Valhalla ambient retrieval and clarity but what you will hear in addition is staggering as to being so much better as to the amount of information that you just haven't heard before. And this is not a matter of something being different but rather something being not only better but magnitudes better and at an MSRP far lower than Valhalla
Well, ordered 2 Sigma Analogs and 1 Alpha Digital PCs tonight. Wallet is a bit lighter :(

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
The Sigmas arrived and Wow, they are special with only limited hours on them. Valhalla and Alphas on steroids! Planning to order 2 Sigma HC next.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
New to these forums and need some help please, I have the Shunyata Triton & Typhoon - the Triton is fed by a dedicated line then a Sigma HC, I have 4 X Alpha HC's powering the following:

Antipodes DX music server
Light Harmonic DaVinci Dual DAC
Woo Audio 234 Mono's x 2 (8 watts, 300B SET)
HRS stand and isolation bases

After having read Steve's and others comments about the Sigma's I have decided to upgrade to them, trouble is which ones, should I use the Digital cable for both the DAC and the Music Server and Analog's for the amp's ?

Thank you for your help

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Upgrade Sigma Digital for source direst, that can isolate self generate digital noise to other components effectively.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
You mean use Sigma Digital for the Music Sever and the DAC?

Steve Williams

New to these forums and need some help please, I have the Shunyata Triton & Typhoon - the Triton is fed by a dedicated line then a Sigma HC, I have 4 X Alpha HC's powering the following:

After having read Steve's and others comments about the Sigma's I have decided to upgrade to them, trouble is which ones, should I use the Digital cable for both the DAC and the Music Server and Analog's for the amp's ?

Thank you for your help

Upgrade Sigma Digital for source direst, that can isolate self generate digital noise to other components effectively.

Hopefully Caelin will chime in and make suggestions. The Sigma PC's will transform your system

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I can give some possibly relevant advice based on what I observed. Previously, I had a Bryston BDP-1 file player, and Bryston BDA-2 DAC. Both of these pieces had a Zitron Cobra power cord. I replaced the Cobra on the file player with an Alpha Digital, and my jaw dropped at the improvement in sound. It was a very obvious, noticeable improvement. Later I added an Alpha Digital to the DAC, and I did not notice any change. If there was a change then it was very subtle. So, for me, the Digital on the file player was the obvious winner. A few months ago I moved to the Sigma Digital on the file player, and while there appeared to be a little less noise, for a quieter background, it was no where near the improvement as when I went from the Cobra to the Alpha Digital.

Currently, I am using a Lumin S1 file player/DAC combo. This device has an external power supply that sends DC to the S1 via an umbilical cable. I have the Sigma Digital on the external power supply, but I don't know if that is optimal. I hope to get two Sigma HC cables for my amps in the near future, so maybe I can try one on the PS to hear what happens.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Steve, hopefully so !

I am going to buy a Triton V2 as can sell my existing one to a friend. It is not easy to understand what cable works best where, should I use the Sigma HC's for the amps even though they are comparatively low power.

IMG_0565 (1).jpg

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
are the sigmas as flexible as the anacondas?
have tight confines behind the system, but last series was flexible enough.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I can give some possibly relevant advice based on what I observed. Previously, I had a Bryston BDP-1 file player, and Bryston BDA-2 DAC. Both of these pieces had a Zitron Cobra power cord. I replaced the Cobra on the file player with an Alpha Digital, and my jaw dropped at the improvement in sound. It was a very obvious, noticeable improvement. Later I added an Alpha Digital to the DAC, and I did not notice any change. If there was a change then it was very subtle. So, for me, the Digital on the file player was the obvious winner. A few months ago I moved to the Sigma Digital on the file player, and while there appeared to be a little less noise, for a quieter background, it was no where near the improvement as when I went from the Cobra to the Alpha Digital.

Currently, I am using a Lumin S1 file player/DAC combo. This device has an external power supply that sends DC to the S1 via an umbilical cable. I have the Sigma Digital on the external power supply, but I don't know if that is optimal. I hope to get two Sigma HC cables for my amps in the near future, so maybe I can try one on the PS to hear what happens.

Thank you, seems like the digital is the way to go certainly on the Music Server, issue my confusion is with the DAC it has has massively overbuilt power supply so don't which know which Sigma cable is the best for that.

Unfortunately the distributor in Australia has zero stock of any demonstration cables or for that matter anything else it all has to come direct shipped from the US. Makes experimentation impossible.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
I use Alpha Digital for external LPS for my NAS.
I use Zitron Python for Linn ADSM/1
and Sigma Digital for Linn Akurate Exaktbox.

The most significant improvement is use Sigma Digital in my DAC. It eliminate much noise and gives analog result.

I tried to swap python with sigma digital for my DS player but not as good as with the DAC. So really need try and test which upgrade option is the most benefit to your gears.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
hi squirrel,

i think you can't go wrong in using sigma analog for your dac.
i have alpha digital on my dac, then tried anaconda. no contest. anaconda murdered it.
for a transport or cdp, would use sigma digital, but for a dac, sigma analog is fine.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Thank you, seems like the digital is the way to go certainly on the Music Server, issue my confusion is with the DAC it has has massively overbuilt power supply so don't which know which Sigma cable is the best for that.

Unfortunately the distributor in Australia has zero stock of any demonstration cables or for that matter anything else it all has to come direct shipped from the US. Makes experimentation impossible.
On my MW Sony HAP-Z1ES. Alpha Digital on digital side since it doesn't draw much current and involves digital processing. On the external Power Supply to the tube analog output stage, I use Sigma Analog.

In your case it's a tough call. your DAC has digital processing so probably Sigma Digital. Also it has overbuilt power supply so Sigma Analog. Best if you can demo both before purchase but can't go wrong with neither. Sigma's are special compare to the competition.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

Thank you for your help

Hello Mate,

Welcome to the WBF.

I would use a Sigma Digital on the music server and on the DAC. Then, a Sigma Analog on the amp as you indicated. Enjoy!

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
I am using TotalDac D1 Server and D1 Dual DAC. Previously I was using Alpha Digital on the Server and Ztron Python on the DAC. I don't enjoy Alpha Digital on the DAC. Alpha Analog was also better but I prefer Python more. When Sigma PCs were introduced, I updated to Sigma Digital for the Server and Sigma Analog for the DAC. Again I don't enjoy Sigma Digital on the DAC. I believe the reason is TotalDac doesn't use any DAC chips. It is employing discrete R-2R resistor ladder for the converter, working more in analog space. Both connected to the Triton and Typhon.

So it may be good to try first. Since you are getting the Digital PC for the server anyway, you can try it on the DAC before deciding if you can't arrange for trial.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hello Mate,

Welcome to the WBF.

I would use a Sigma Digital on the music server and on the DAC. Then, a Sigma Analog on the amp as you indicated. Enjoy!

Thanks, I am keen to get this finalised, what is best for the amps, Sigma HC or Sigma Analog?

I used to use Transparent reference MM power products but the Shunyata is in another league, I received my Triton in mid January so am a little dismayed to read of the V2 so soon after, anyway will be speaking to the dealer tomorrow once I get a response back from you on the Sigma's PC's

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing