Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord Review

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
When I change gear, I prefer evaluating the change one piece at a time. There's surely merit to changing 3 or 4 things and then commenting on the final result, but when you change one piece at a time, the changes can then be attributed to a single piece of gear which I find most helpful. It was with great anticipation that I received a pair of Sigma digital power cords for evaluation before the Holidays. But for the reasons above, I preferred to replace one cable, wait a reasonable period of time for break-in, and then evaluate it. Based on the break-in time of my Sigma Alpha digital, I didn't expect I'd be able to comment in the Sigma in less than 3 weeks, but I think I'm far enough along the break-in process that I can make some useful observations after about 9 days of listening. To be clear, I do not believe they are fully broken in, especially in the bass, but enough procrastinating. Here's the bottom line. The Sigma digital cord is not just good, its superb. Moreover, it is a clear improvement in performance from the outstanding alpha digital that proceeded it. It is frankly, essential, especially if the system it is in aspires to be a SOA system. The very first thing most people will notice is that bass performance is rendered with more authority and articulation than the alpha series. The improved level of performance here is more akin to a component change than a cable change, so great is the benefit. The second area of improvement is midrange immediacy. A more vivid palpable image is the result. Third, the cable is a lower distortion, quieter cable, than its predecessor. Perhaps that alone contributes to the increased midrange palpability? Aside from the obvious increase in cable thickness and a supposed re-working of the digital noise filters in the cable, I don't know what else was done to make its performance so superior in comparison to it alpha predecessor, but frankly, I don't care. I cannot imagine a system upgrade that would offer a bigger bang for the buck. Once the Sigma digital is in your system, its simply never going to leave. I will wait another week before installing the second one so I can see its benefits independently, (One presently drives my TacT 2.2 XP DSP unit and the other will power my Meitner XDS1v2). I would highly recommend considering doing whatever it takes (i.e. rob a bank, sell grandma, etc) to get one of these things in your system for your own evaluation. It's that good.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When I change gear, I prefer evaluating the change one piece at a time. There's surely merit to changing 3 or 4 things and then commenting on the final result, but when you change one piece at a time, the changes can then be attributed to a single piece of gear which I find most helpful. It was with great anticipation that I received a pair of Sigma digital power cords for evaluation before the Holidays. But for the reasons above, I preferred to replace one cable, wait a reasonable period of time for break-in, and then evaluate it. Based on the break-in time of my Sigma Alpha digital, I didn't expect I'd be able to comment in the Sigma in less than 3 weeks, but I think I'm far enough along the break-in process that I can make some useful observations after about 9 days of listening. To be clear, I do to believe they are fully broken in, especially in the bass, but enough procrastinating. Here's the bottom line. The Sigma digital cord is not just good, its superb. It is simply superb, and a clear improvement in performance from the outstanding alpha digital that proceeded it. It is frankly, essential, especially if the system it is in aspires to be a SOA system. The very first thing most people will notice is that bass performance is rendered with more authority and articulation than the alpha series. The improved level of performance here is more akin to a component change than a cable change, so great is the benefit. The second area of improvement is midrange immediacy. A more vivid palpable image is the result. Third, the cable is a lower distortion, quieter cable, than its predecessor. Perhaps that alone contributes to the increased midrange palpability? Aside from the obvious increase in cable thickness and a supposed re-working of the digital noise filters in the cable, I don't know what else was done to make its performance so superior in comparison to it alpha predecessor, but frankly, I don't care. I cannot imagine a system upgrade that would offer a bigger bang for the buck. Once the Sigma digital is in your system, its simply never going to leave. I will wait another week before installing the second one so I can see its benefits independently, (One presently drives my TacT 2.2 XP DSP unit and the other will power my Meitner XDS1v2). I would highly recommend considering doing whatever it takes (i.e. rob a bank, sell grandma, etc) to get one of these things in your system for your own evaluation. It's that good.

I knew you would like it Marty

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I agree with the positive comments on the Sigma Digital. I replaced an Alpha Digital with the Sigma, and it increased the effects of the Alpha. I refer to the soundstage now as a black hole from which sound emerges. However, I suspect the Sigma will be like the Alpha, and work better on some components than others. For example, I was knocked over by the improvement the Alpha did to my Bryston BDP-1 file player. However, on the DAC the Alpha didn't appear much different than the Zitron Cobra it replaced.

Steve Williams

I agree with the positive comments on the Sigma Digital. I replaced an Alpha Digital with the Sigma, and it increased the effects of the Alpha. I refer to the soundstage now as a black hole from which sound emerges. However, I suspect the Sigma will be like the Alpha, and work better on some components than others. For example, I was knocked over by the improvement the Alpha did to my Bryston BDP-1 file player. However, on the DAC the Alpha didn't appear much different than the Zitron Cobra it replaced.

Guys

If you think you've heard all of the magic, all I can say is that you haven't until you now add the Shunyata Sigma HC and finally the Sigma Analog (which really I find difficult to ever be without)

How Caelin does this is beyond me. I almost hesitate to talk about it because of all the cable naysayers here but truly one must hear these cables in their systems. I went all in and now my entire system uses Sigma PC's except for my pair of Fathoms which use 2 Alpha HC PC's

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
When I change gear, I prefer evaluating the change one piece at a time. There's surely merit to changing 3 or 4 things and then commenting on the final result, but when you change one piece at a time, the changes can then be attributed to a single piece of gear which I find most helpful. It was with great anticipation that I received a pair of Sigma digital power cords for evaluation before the Holidays. But for the reasons above, I preferred to replace one cable, wait a reasonable period of time for break-in, and then evaluate it. Based on the break-in time of my Sigma Alpha digital, I didn't expect I'd be able to comment in the Sigma in less than 3 weeks, but I think I'm far enough along the break-in process that I can make some useful observations after about 9 days of listening. To be clear, I do not believe they are fully broken in, especially in the bass, but enough procrastinating. Here's the bottom line. The Sigma digital cord is not just good, its superb. Moreover, it is a clear improvement in performance from the outstanding alpha digital that proceeded it. It is frankly, essential, especially if the system it is in aspires to be a SOA system. The very first thing most people will notice is that bass performance is rendered with more authority and articulation than the alpha series. The improved level of performance here is more akin to a component change than a cable change, so great is the benefit. The second area of improvement is midrange immediacy. A more vivid palpable image is the result. Third, the cable is a lower distortion, quieter cable, than its predecessor. Perhaps that alone contributes to the increased midrange palpability? Aside from the obvious increase in cable thickness and a supposed re-working of the digital noise filters in the cable, I don't know what else was done to make its performance so superior in comparison to it alpha predecessor, but frankly, I don't care. I cannot imagine a system upgrade that would offer a bigger bang for the buck. Once the Sigma digital is in your system, its simply never going to leave. I will wait another week before installing the second one so I can see its benefits independently, (One presently drives my TacT 2.2 XP DSP unit and the other will power my Meitner XDS1v2). I would highly recommend considering doing whatever it takes (i.e. rob a bank, sell grandma, etc) to get one of these things in your system for your own evaluation. It's that good.

Thank you Marty. Those comments are really appreciated, especially coming from such an experienced and discerning listener.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Marty's and Steve (and Bud) are right: the Sigma's are terrific cables. I've done the "Marty in reverse" -- replace all the cables with Sigmas, and then pull one at a time to hear the impact on individual components. The Sigma Analog on my VTL preamp and the Sigma Digital on my MSB stack were the two biggest improvements for me.

Steve Williams

I introduced 8 Sigma PC's one by one into my system over the course of 4 weeks and the change in sound each time took me deeper into the music. For my ears the biggest revelation was with the Sigma Analog PC's

I just can't see myself without these cables and as Marty says every SOA system needs to audition these because you will not be disappointed

Steve Williams

I did as that was what I was using. Simply put there really is no comparison. I found the top end on the Sigma to be more extended and the bottom end far more articulate and so much better than the Valhalla. I sold my Valhalla PC's 3 months ago

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Steve, did you ever have a Anaconda on your Playback Designs? If so, how does the new Sigma Digital compare? It's the only box where I still use a Anaconda and I'm curious what the upside might be.

Steve Williams

The Sigma series simply put Frank is a better cable than even the Anaconda because of the filters used.When the Alpha series was released I kept my Anaconda PC's but when I heard the Sigma, the Anacondas have been removed from my system. Its no comparison

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The link takes me to a 2013 thread about amps. The Sigma Digital didn't exist in 2013.

My apologies, Blue Fox. It should have taken you to page 6, entry 52 of that thread, which as you noted was begun in 2013. The entry containing the Sigma update is dated 2-12-15.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Great. Thank you. I agree with your comments on the Sigma/Alpha Digital cable. I was just astounded at the improvement the Alpha made when I added it to my Bryston BDR-1 file player. The later upgrade to the Sigma simply refined what the Alpha had accomplished. Likewise, the new Anaconda Digital AES bought the overall sound up a notch by, I assume, lowering/eliminating jitter from the file player to the DAC.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you try the Anaconda ICs versus MIT?

Steve Williams

Great. Thank you. I agree with your comments on the Sigma/Alpha Digital cable. I was just astounded at the improvement the Alpha made when I added it to my Bryston BDR-1 file player. The later upgrade to the Sigma simply refined what the Alpha had accomplished. Likewise, the new Anaconda Digital AES bought the overall sound up a notch by, I assume, lowering/eliminating jitter from the file player to the DAC.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you try the Anaconda ICs versus MIT?

Because Spectral gear allows only their own cable and MIT cable

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Really! That's interesting. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing