Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord Review

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Interesting question...i plugged it into a power conditioner of 'top tier repute'...not necessarily a beast but was certainly supposed to be able to handle it. I admit, it had a nice sound, even a bit cleaner...after 4 weeks, the socket in the power conditioner actually melted. i have put it straight into the wall ever since, and the dealer allowed me to trade the melted unit back in for another power conditioner which i used for the source components. Note: this was with my old Antileon amp many years ago, and i definitely have never plugged the Colosseum into anything but the wall. Today, it is plugged into a special dedicated high-voltage line with the following outlet...the powercable had to be reterminated as well:

Attachment 29072

You may recognize these from the Boulder amps which use these as standard on their 2000 and 3000 series amps.
    So, you had an electrician instal a high voltage (30a) line? And that outlet on it?

Hi. Any update on a new UK distributor? Thanks

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    So, you had an electrician instal a high voltage (30a) line? And that outlet on it?
    Yes, that is correct...it was his recommendation for the amp. They are electricians, but specialize in professional studios and home studios for recording artists.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Yes, that is correct...it was his recommendation for the amp. They are electricians, but specialize in professional studios and home studios for recording artists.
    Awesome. Will get contact off you sometime. I am aware of the 30a but the 30a comes through only if there is no 13/15a fuse. The boulder 2160 came through a 15a outlet

Hello, guys. Newly accepted member here. I would like to ask your thoughts on whether to go for a Sigma Analog PC or an Anaconda IC. As you all know they're priced almost the same, and I can afford only one. The Sigma will be for my Cavalli Liquid Carbon headphone amp and the the Anaconda will be between the amp and DAC (Chord 2Qute). I know,,,, the cables' prices are more than the components' they will be connected to, but I will be gradually upgrading them to the very best that I can afford. I also wanted to have the very best cables now, as I am not planning to buy another, ever. My headphones are the HiFiMan HE1000 with stock cables.

Welcome Panoyski... I'd be going for the pc first. I put Shunyata pcs on my violectric and also a microzotl headphone amp used as pre and the impact of the power cables in this setup was by far the most significant improvement.

By comparison improving ICs can always potentially pay nice dividends but even more so once the power was sorted. If you then get some more modest but still good ICs you could then try adding entreq wraps around the signal connectors for a nice and very cost effective step up on even relatively mid tier signal cables.
    Magnepan 20.7 - Shindo - Sanders - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops & Z Anaconda and Python PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse SCs, ICs, USB, jumpers - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout the system.

Blog Entries
    How is the microzotl, any compares to more expensive pre amps?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    How is the microzotl, any compares to more expensive pre amps?
    Ked, Will avoid taking the thread too far off topic but very briefly would put it on a shortlist of great preamps @ under $8k which makes it something of a bargain. Definitely OTL characteristics in nature, definitely needs a linear PSU over the switch mode version, and theres plenty of great fun rolling into NOS with its tube types. Paired it with a few different amps but extra wonderful step up when having it in front of the Line Magnetic 219ia (which is 845/300B SET)... so possible killer SET combos as it takes out the fat but leaves all the joy. Also nice with good mosfet if you swing the SS way. Not so much (for me) with their own Microzotl amps (just too much of a OTL lean thing for the slightly more fleshy balance I enjoy).
    Magnepan 20.7 - Shindo - Sanders - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops & Z Anaconda and Python PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse SCs, ICs, USB, jumpers - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout the system.

Quote Originally Posted by the sound of Tao View Post
    Welcome Panoyski... I'd be going for the pc first. I put Shunyata pcs on my violectric and also a microzotl headphone amp used as pre and the impact of the power cables in this setup was by far the most significant improvement.

By comparison improving ICs can always potentially pay nice dividends but even more so once the power was sorted. If you then get some more modest but still good ICs you could then try adding entreq wraps around the signal connectors for a nice and very cost effective step up on even relatively mid tier signal cables.

Thanks for the reply. I will then go for the PC first. Pretty excited to hear the sonic improvements once it's in the system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the sound of Tao View Post
    Ked, Will avoid taking the thread too far off topic but very briefly would put it on a shortlist of great preamps @ under $8k which makes it something of a bargain. Definitely OTL characteristics in nature, definitely needs a linear PSU over the switch mode version, and theres plenty of great fun rolling into NOS with its tube types. Paired it with a few different amps but extra wonderful step up when having it in front of the Line Magnetic 219ia (which is 845/300B SET)... so possible killer SET combos as it takes out the fat but leaves all the joy. Also nice with good mosfet if you swing the SS way. Not so much (for me) with their own Microzotl amps (just too much of a OTL lean thing for the slightly more fleshy balance I enjoy).
    Cheers, good to know
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567