Whiplash

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this film today and one word.......fantastic

This is a most unusual story topic for a movie but I must admit I was glued to the screen for the entire 107 minutes

From IMDB....

A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Miles Teller plays the young drummer and J.K. Simmons (Juno and Farmer's commercials) plays the brutal mentor who brow beats and undermines his students for the sake of bringing out the best in them

The story is simple and straight forward but it is refreshing at the end of the year to finally see some of the year's best films, this one for me is in my Top 5 so far this year

I anticipate Oscar nods for J.K. Simmons as Best Supporting and quite possibly a nod for best picture

Definitely a film worth seeing
Its metric scores are

IMDB 8.7/10

Rotten Tomatoes 96%

MRQE 90%

This is probably the highest rated film I've seen since Gravity also had a 96%

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I saw it today and was going to open a thread about it. The movie is simply great. For any who caares about music it is a must see. One may not like the plot. There is no way anyone who cares about music would come out of this movie unmoved... A interesting view on music playing ... In one word: hard. getting to the greatest level in music requires mch more than talent. It is a close to a sacerdoce.

Please take a time to go see it and then listen to your system . Music willbe for a few days the focus...

Saw Interstellar and liked it . I was so tired I dozed off some but what I saw when woken up was very good. So, tomorrow I will go and see it again this time rested :)..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Saw this film today and one word.......fantastic

This is a most unusual story topic for a movie but I must admit I was glued to the screen for the entire 107 minutes

From IMDB....

A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Miles Teller plays the young drummer and J.K. Simmons (Juno and Farmer's commercials) plays the brutal mentor who brow beats and undermines his students for the sake of bringing out the best in them

The story is simple and straight forward but it is refreshing at the end of the year to finally see some of the year's best films, this one for me is in my Top 5 so far this year

I anticipate Oscar nods for J.K. Simmons as Best Supporting and quite possibly a nod for best picture

Definitely a film worth seeing
Its metric scores are

IMDB 8.7/10

Rotten Tomatoes 96%

MRQE 90%

This is probably the highest rated film I've seen since Gravity also had a 96%

Steve...did Gravity get good reviews? Really? We hated it...wow!

Steve Williams

It did. Can you remember the Oscars

Whiplash is a tough movie to watch but so far it is number one for me however many great ones starting now or soon to start in December

The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year "so far" has been Gone Girl

I do expect my faves to change in December

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Oscars? What is that?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just saw Whiplash and loved it. Can anyone tell me who did the actual drumming, particularly in the film's climatic "Caravan"? Was it the actor Miles Teller and was it really his drumming we saw on film? Apparently Miles "dabbled" in drumming in his past but its hard to accept that the masterful drumming was saw in the movie's drumming scenes were his even though some looked convincingly so. BTW, for the connoisseur, the famous wind-down, wind-up routine shown in the film was originated by Buddy Rich, but unfortunately, the reproduction of it was not quite the same as any true Buddy Rich version. Rich had unerringly accurate timing. You couldn't do better with an atomic clock if you tried. However, in the movie, some of the wind-up notes were off just enough to let you know that, whoever recorded it, it probably was not authentically Buddy Rich. He had no equal in that regard. Still, it was a gripping movie and worthy of 2 potential Oscar acting nominations. Surely JK Simmons is on the short list for best actor thus far.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Just saw Whiplash and loved it. Can anyone tell me who did the actual drumming, particularly in the film's climatic "Caravan"? Was the the actor Miles Teller and was it his drumming we saw on film? Apparently Miles "dabbled" in drumming in his past but its hard to accept that the masterful drumming was saw in the movie's drumming scenes were his even though some looked convincingly so. BTW, for the connoisseur, the famous wind-down, wind-up routine shown in the film was originated by Buddy Rich, but unfortunately, the reproduction of it was not quite the same as any true Buddy Rich version. Rich had unerringly accurate timing. You couldn't do better with an atomic clock if you tried. However, in the movie, some of the wind-up notes were off just enough to let you know that, whoever recorded it, it probably was not authentically Buddy Rich. He had no equal in that regard. Still, it was a gripping movie and worthy of 2 potential Oscar acting nominations. Surely JK Simmons is on the short list for best actor thus far.

It sure looked like the kid was the drummer

I agree about JK Simmons

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Found a famous version of the wind-down/wind-up on you tube. This was when Buddy Rich as already a ripe 65 year old. The year was 1982, during which he suffered a heart attack during a concert in the Dominican Republic playing with Frank Sinatra and Carlos Santana. The You Tube clip below was filmed during another famous concert with Sinatra in 1982 called Concert for the Americas, and Buddy's wife said he collapsed in the Green Room shortly after this solo. You can see him wobble and barely stand up as he walks off stage after his performance. It's ridiculously impossible, but true, that he died within 5 years of this performance. His technique, speed and timing was in a league of his own. There will never be another Buddy Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeyyGmd5dvM

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It did. Can you remember the Oscars

Whiplash is a tough movie to watch but so far it is number one for me however many great ones starting now or soon to start in December

The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year "so far" has been Gone Girl

I do expect my faves to change in December

I agree, Gone Girl has been my fav by quite a bit.

Looking forward to Wild, Unbroken, and a few others by year end.

Shadowfax

Jul 17, 2014
Southampton-Bucks County PA
Sorry I started another thread as I missed this one.

Although Miles Teller did go thru a 2 or 3 month drumming boot camp, he did not do all the drumming you hear in the music. Nate Lang, who plays the other drummer Carl did the really hard parts that are edited in to the soundtrack. Miles played sax but had never drummed. Miles is also local to me, from Downingtown PA which I thought was cool.

JK Simmons is so intense in this film I got agitated and nervous every time he went off. He should have won Best Actor and the film itself should have won something since the content was so powerful and close to possible reality compared to some of the other movies up for awards each year.

I only found this film because I scan the Redbox site for suggestions. I never saw it advertised and until this thread, not even talked about.

Steve Williams

JK Simmons has won the Golden Globe, American Film Critics Award, The People's Choice Award and The Screen Actors Award for Best Supporting. I'm sure he will win the Oscar as well. Truly a remarkable film.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Just saw this tonight. Great movie! Very entertaining.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Maybe it's because I have a student in conservatory but I didn't care for this one. JK Simmons was great and deserves all the accolades he is receiving but the idea that an expensive, highly ranked school would tolerate an instructor's verbal abuse and intimidation in this PC day and age strains credulity...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Maybe it's because I have a student in conservatory but I didn't care for this one. JK Simmons was great and deserves all the accolades he is receiving but the idea that an expensive, highly ranked school would tolerate an instructor's verbal abuse and intimidation in this PC day and age strains credulity...

I get where you are coming from, but they did not tolerate it. They fired him. The film did not really mention how long he had been an instructor that I recall.

I liked the film but also felt that the plot could have been more realistic. I could say that about any film though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing