Magico Fan-boy!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'm amazed you could consider the ARC if you like the Pass. Totally different beast. One colored, one not...

Whoa! Speaking of opinions! You really are Mad! Have you ever heard the Ref 10 combo?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps your Sonus Faber speakers are more warm than my Magicos? I totally agree that the soundstage on the XS was fantastic and I did hear things that I didn't notice on the XP-30 (and had to specifically listen for to hear). An example of this was some subtle double tracking of rhythm guitars that sounded like it was only coming from the right channel on the XP-30 (but on the XS was clearly doubled in the left). Yeah, I'm feeling bad because I so wanted to take the system to a higher level.

I'm amazed you could consider the ARC if you like the Pass. Totally different beast. One colored, one not...

Peter,

I have no experience with the current top Pass amplifiers, but I have some experience with your Mini2's and Frank TheSonusfabers's using many amplifiers. I can assure you that ARC top units used with Frank's speakers have the coloration of life music ... ;) And no, the TheSonusfaber are not a warm speaker. In this aspect they were very different from the Aida's.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Whoa! Speaking of opinions! You really are Mad! Have you ever heard the Ref 10 combo?

No, but I've owned the Ref 3 & Ref 5 twice and heard the Ref 5 SE. Pretty but all fluff and colored with that typical white-ish ARC sound. :)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Without further derailing from this thread topic, I want to give one additional comment. I have owned Ref 10 before I switched to Xs. Both are excellent but Xs is much more consistent. Ref 10 sound deteriorates as tube ages and quite dramatically I would say. I have switched to a new set of tubes before. But after 300 hours, the sound starts deteriorating. No more ARC amp for me.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Not (yet?) an owner but an admirer. IMO not too many speakers get it as right as Magico in term of fidelity to the source. With most Magico speakers, the overused cliche of " a veil has been lifted" truly applies. And that may rattle a few people because they do sound artifact-free, if you need artificial sweetener or some bumps in the midbass to sound more "bassy", lookelsewhere. The sound is also consistent not in term of "voicing" per se but rather of cleanliness: They all sound clean, "noise"-free and low distortion. The differences manifest themselves in term of reach, absolute scale and/or clean SPL. From the Q7 to the Q3 the differences that jumps in that regard are that the Q7 and Q5 seem to have unlimited dynamic and sound output capabilities (assuming capable amplifiers), especially in the so important upper midbass through the midrange (00 Hz to 3 Khz) and up to the lower treble 4 KHz to 8 KHz) it seems you can push the volume to any high level without perceiving any strains or drivers distress.. A danger because then you can play these quite loudly before realizing it. The Q3 seems to have a lower limit in my experience, not that I have ever heard a Q3 strain but when I went in an audition from the Q7 to the Q3 in the same room and same elctronics that was my impression... As for bass the Q7,Q5 and Q3 have it aplenty .. I am will always use sub with most any speakers this side of the MM7, NOLA grand or similar speakers with bas columns or especially the Genesis Dragon .. and even then :p ... I might consider a pair of subs or more to smooth out low end response :D

The Q5 is the odd one, the forgotten one. For some reasons , people seem to forget how incredibly good this speaker is when properly amplified. "Properly" is the operative word: it seems to require gob of power and amplifier stability ... I would love to listen to a pair driven by the big Bryson 28B. IMHO the Q5 is closer to the Q7 that many think. I wouldn't mind a used pair... Will be looking for sure ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

I have no experience with the current top Pass amplifiers, but I have some experience with your Mini2's and Frank TheSonusfabers's using many amplifiers. I can assure you that ARC top units used with Frank's speakers have the coloration of life music ... ;) And no, the TheSonusfaber are not a warm speaker. In this aspect they were very different from the Aida's.

Micro, Perhaps this post is meant to be addressed to Madfloyd. I never made such an assertion about Sonus Faber speakers.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi

Not (yet?) an owner but an admirer. IMO not too many speakers get it as right as Magico in term of fidelity to the source. With most Magico speakers, the overused cliche of " a veil has been lifted" truly applies. And that may rattle a few people because they do sound artifact-free, if you need artificial sweetener or some bumps in the midbass to sound more "bassy", lookelsewhere. The sound is also consistent not in term of "voicing" per se but rather of cleanliness: They all sound clean, "noise"-free and low distortion. The differences manifest themselves in term of reach, absolute scale and/or clean SPL. From the Q7 to the Q3 the differences that jumps in that regard are that the Q7 and Q5 seem to have unlimited dynamic and sound output capabilities (assuming capable amplifiers), especially in the so important upper midbass through the midrange (00 Hz to 3 Khz) and up to the lower treble 4 KHz to 8 KHz) it seems you can push the volume to any high level without perceiving any strains or drivers distress.. A danger because then you can play these quite loudly before realizing it. The Q3 seems to have a lower limit in my experience, not that I have ever heard a Q3 strain but when I went in an audition from the Q7 to the Q3 in the same room and same elctronics that was my impression... As for bass the Q7,Q5 and Q3 have it aplenty .. I am will always use sub with most any speakers this side of the MM7, NOLA grand or similar speakers with bas columns or especially the Genesis Dragon .. and even then :p ... I might consider a pair of subs or more to smooth out low end response :D

The Q5 is the odd one, the forgotten one. For some reasons , people seem to forget how incredibly good this speaker is when properly amplified. "Properly" is the operative word: it seems to require gob of power and amplifier stability ... I would love to listen to a pair driven by the big Bryson 28B. IMHO the Q5 is closer to the Q7 that many think. I wouldn't mind a used pair... Will be looking for sure ;)

Hey Frantz, what speakers are you currently using?

I notice you mention all of the Q products but not the S series. Have you not heard them or are you not a fan?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Without further derailing from this thread topic, I want to give one additional comment. I have owned Ref 10 before I switched to Xs. Both are excellent but Xs is much more consistent. Ref 10 sound deteriorates as tube ages and quite dramatically I would say. I have switched to a new set of tubes before. But after 300 hours, the sound starts deteriorating. No more ARC amp for me.

You were really unlucky. My REF 40 original set lasted for more than 5000 hours, and still measured perfect when I replaced it. The new one is now around 1700 hours, I measured it a few months ago and its values were almost as new.
Hoever the 6550's should be replaced every 2000 hours - I only did it at 2500.
I also had to replace noisy 6h30 at one time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

Not (yet?) an owner but an admirer. IMO not too many speakers get it as right as Magico in term of fidelity to the source.

Frantz,
What are you calling the source? The recording signal or the perception of the event?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,
What are you calling the source? The recording signal or the perception of the event?

Very valid point/question. Let me try to answer it , it could belong-winded:

I have been listening to headphones mostly for the past 2 years.my system is headphone-based.3 HiFiman 560 and HE6 , the Stax 009 I believe and a variety of DACs and amp.. my favorite being right now (with non ESL can, the Auralic) The Magico and a few other speakers ( The butt ugly Vivid, the big Raidho among but not limited to these) are the closest to what I hear on my headphones in a good room. There is seemingly an absence of artifact I find beguiling. Not sure I would know what the original even is .. Let's open a thread on that ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing