Listening in the Dark.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well after my latest listening session, it really hit home again, that if you want to hear what your system can truly do; then a listening session in the dark is IMHO mandatory:cool:
I still wander why this supposed psycho-acoustic phenom is so very evident:confused: What is really going on here that brings the system to life so much more in the dark room:confused: Also, I wander how many dealers/a'philes realize the benefits of a demonstration in a dark room?:confused:
(I'm talking Audio demonstration only for those with wandering minds:rolleyes:)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The cortex that controls vision is dominant over audio, which the brain regards as a kind of adjunct or secondary sensorium. When you release it by listening in the dark, then all of the localization powers of the visual apparatus can be deferred to the auditory apparatus without the powerful distraction of direct vision, itself. However, I find that without at least a modicum of visual input i.e. low lights that the experience is not quite as satisfying.

Last edited:

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
The cortex that controls vision is dominant over audio, which the brain regards as a kind of adjunct or secondary sensorium. When you release it by listening in the dark, then all of the localization powers of the visual apparatus can be deferred to the auditory apparatus without the powerful distraction of direct vision, itself.

That make sense, and confirms an opposite theory I've noticed: When music is accompanied by visuals it sounds better. I've theorized that the brain can't focus fully on both audio and video at the same time, so adding a visual "distraction" tends to minimize flaws in the quality of the music.

--Ethan

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So if you really want to hear how "good" a HT sounds, don't turn on the visuals. You'd be amazed at how crappy some of these sound!

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
There is nothing like listening to music in the dark, with just your gear lighting the room. Add a few tubes glowing in the dark, and all the better.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
There is nothing like listening to music in the dark, with just your gear lighting the room. Add a few tubes glowing in the dark, and all the better.

Agreed! For some bizarre reason, I prefer to sit with my eyes closed, even when the room is dark! I guess I just find it more relaxing, and can therefore enjoy the music more.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I prefer eyes close. Total darkness is elusive in the big city. The moment I see my speakers the illusion is severely compromised.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Agree with Dave here, the Guarneris are pretty nice looking speakers, but at night I just ocassionaly turn some indirect lighting just to see where is my scotch glass!

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Agreed! For some bizarre reason, I prefer to sit with my eyes closed, even when the room is dark! I guess I just find it more relaxing, and can therefore enjoy the music more.

Me Too.

Also, if you decide to play a little rock music, the darkness is a great place to play air guitar, or drums! :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon gentlemen. This thread was created well before I joined the forum but I thought I'd chime in to offer my observations after discovering it today for the first time. Listening in the dark is actually the way I prefer to listen. Complete darkness is best IMO but a few glowing tubes or small, not bright blue matching LED's can give you just the right amount of light needed after 10 or 20 minutes of your eyes adjusting. Part of it may be the lower demand on the grid due to late night listening but IME, most of the pleasure comes from the pure darkness. Like someone else had mentioned, I sometimes also close my eyes whilst listing in the dark. It doesn't bring the spatial locational cues into fruition (unless they are already there in the light) but it can focus things just a little bit sharper.

This is a great time to slap on an LP and listen to it in its entirety. :)

Tom

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Picture yourself sitting in front of a friends system with your eyes open. Nice (sonically unfamiliar) speakers. Nice glow of (sonically unfamiliar) amp/preamp/DAC, etc. Nice pictures on the wall. Cool cat in the corner. Hey, this beer bottle is sweating and dripping on my pants.

Now close your eyes and all those distractions go away. The center image becomes more present and the soundstage opens up. The beer bottle is still dripping on my pants, but I bet I can find my mouth with my eyes closed anyway. Hey, that was a great drum fill. The bassist is really nailing it.

Focus is on the music, less on the surroundings. Your personal space has shrunk down to what you are hearing and not what you are seeing. Same happens in the dark, but it is easier to explain why you are sitting with your eyes closed than why a couple of guys are sitting together in the dark listening to (pick your favorite sexy female singer). ;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I took this picture 8 years ago, and my gear is now different, but my preferred listening is still dim lights....obviously the camera sensor brings out more light than my eyes perceive.

I like to be able to navigate in the room, and dim light allows my mind to relax and a level of comfort. really dark is to me somewhat distracting. for best levels of perception and heightened senses, eyes need to be closed, and dim light allows my mind to not worry about my eyes being closed when I listen. eyes open in a very dark room does not work as well for me.

ADN_4.jpg

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Agreed.

I light four oil lamp candles (two on top of my equipment cabinet and one to each side of my listening chair) and that's it for lighting.

Very calming and sonics seem to improve.

GG

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I like to listen mostly in the dark. If that isn't possible, or during the day, I use something called the Music Mask. It's a thick black foam mask with a black vinyl-like piece over it shaped like a mask with a strap and Velcro to hold on the mask over your eyes. VERY effective. It used to be advertised in the audio magazines but I don't think the Russian maker manufactures them any more. Wish he did. They also have a cutout in the foam over your eyes. I like it with my eyes open in the mask "darkness" and I can "look" at the stage/venue in my mind.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Is it better at night yes. There is just less ambient noise. Is it better in the dark, Hardly once I got room, power, grounds right. I place this audio myth with DBT'S. IMHO, of course.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Two 845's put out enough light for me. I've also used fiberglass panels to completely block out the two windows. The room I listen in also has a short hallway where the door is, so the door is completely blocked from view. Any time of day, I can go in there, fire up some tunes, and listen to music with nothing but the tubes throwing light in the room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is it better at night yes. There is just less ambient noise. Is it better in the dark, Hardly once I got room, power, grounds right. I place this audio myth with DBT'S. IMHO, of course.

It's not a myth as such especially if you live in a big city! :( Besides a myth is something that doesn't exist. But the phenomena does exist, the question just being what are the root causes.

But yes, I can believe if you have the where with all and house to deal with PL issues, then sure you can minimize the day to day and hour to hour fluctuation in sound. But try doing what you did in an apt. Don't also discount that some people have lights etc. on the same line as their audio system and that can certainly affect the sound. (esp. if they are using dimmers.)

And I still believe that there is a component related to vision. Everything we do and every sense we have depends on vision. Try eating blindfolded. Try standing on one leg blindfolded. So why should hearing be a sense that isn't affected by vision?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Try eating blindfolded.
Try standing on one leg.
I have and in the dark too. Not quite the same as being in the dark on both. Something about that blindfold. Now if we are going to listen with blindfolds then I relent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing