What is your favorite tweeter type?

Favorite tweeter type

• Total voters

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Heil Amt.

Actually, Air Velocity Transformers. Fastest gun in the west.

Promotes frequency over amplitude.

Fatigue, what's that?

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
forgot to add Air Motion Transformer, could one of the mods please add it and make it multiple selection for the horn option? thanks

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
1" Circular Ribbon on the Genesis G7.1

I do like a soft dome tweeter as well though.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Soft dome tweeters and tweeters that don't cause listener fatigue

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
None of the above! :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mine is a combo set. Fabric ring radiators + Ribbons. Ring radiators in front and ribbons are front and rear.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
None of the above. The MBL tweeter is my favorite.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Agree with still-one. MBL.

Pretty amazing.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
There are a lot of good tweeters now, years ago it seems like it was much harder to find good ones.

I like beryllium, both the SS dome that 2/3rds of high end audio now uses as well as beryllium compression drivers. Ribbons and AMTs are sounding good as are plasma tweeters as used by Lansche and Vaughn.

TAD's beryllium coax used in their Reference speakers may be the best overall, imo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i usually weigh in on these polls...but i have to admit when i saw the questions, i dont particularly have a preference. I have heard great treble from Apogee, ML, Genesis' ribbon/circular tweeters, Sonus Fabers/XLF (soft dome?), and Rockports (Beryllium). Maybe i am not as particular as some or i have not taken note quite as carefully in this area. I have found i suppose that for me, great implementation goes a long way (as does really poor implementation)...i name brands versus technologies where i remember the quality of the treble i heard from them. (Of course then there's the setup/equipment...but generally, had good impressions with these speakers and presumed that if it was possible to have good treble from them, then at least part of that MUST be the speaker).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
forgot to add Air Motion Transformer, could one of the mods please add it and make it multiple selection for the horn option? thanks
Hello and good morning to you, AudioExplorations. This has been done. Also added Linear motion for the poll.

Tom

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I voted also soft dome , but have not heard everything ,overall speaker implementation is also very important
Soft dome is firmly in the lead

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing