Jazz at the Pawnshop Again?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I'm into more modern stuff, but got to keep an open mind. Already ordered it. The Webster renaissance is $55 on amazon used and $300 new, so I'll pass on that one.

that Webster recording is 'live' and should be played at warp 9 if possible, that horn should startle and then levitate the listening experience, just like live would. it is a litmus test for amps in my mind as if an amp cannot grip the speaker sufficiently to propel that music then what other essential micro dynamics is it not doing? it's not exactly a power issue so much as a synergy issue. the 'jump' factor.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that your speakers do that music wonderfully.;)

Ben Webster's music is so significant to me that I named my 'network' in my home Webster. if I had a dog it might be named Webster.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Ben Webster is my favorite tenor player. For me, the best ever. His tone and sophistication is goosebump territory.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ben Webster's music is so significant to me that I named my 'network' in my home Webster. if I had a dog it might be named Webster.

Sounds like I have to give this Webster dude a listen. I am embarrassed to say I don't know any of his music. I'm all into "tone" when it comes to horns though - my favorites would be Chet Baker on Trumpet and Paul Desmond on Soprano but there is no particular standout for me on Tenor.

that Webster recording is 'live' and should be played at warp 9 if possible, that horn should startle and then levitate the listening experience, just like live would. it is a litmus test for amps in my mind as if an amp cannot grip the speaker sufficiently to propel that music then what other essential micro dynamics is it not doing? it's not exactly a power issue so much as a synergy issue. the 'jump' factor.

I have been quite happy with the Spectral DMA 360 series II amps driving the EA MM3s in the mids and lows (phenomenal speed and presences), but recently found there to be a little harsness in the highs (not sure if it is an amp issue). I'm no longer shopping in the megabuck (4 figure electronics by my standards, 5 figure by others) category , but will be giving the forthcoming PS audio amp a whirl. I'll also be buying one of the new Job 250 monoblocks for my center channel. I may put it up against my Spectrals as well.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
IMHO, my favs on sax

Tenor:

Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young

Alto:

Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond (my father had the pleasure of knowing Paul Desmond BTW, a lovely fellow if I recall correctly)

Baritone

The one and only Gerry Mulligan.

For a great record, check out the sensational Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster, get the gold MSFL if you can find one. I ripped mine and it is sounds superb.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
IMHO, my favs on sax

Tenor:

Alto:

Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond (my father had the pleasure of knowing Paul Desmond BTW)

Baritone

For a great record, check out the sensational Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster, get the gold MSFL if you can find one. I ripped mine and it is sounds superb.

For a phenomenal Mulligan / Desmond / Brubeck gig, check out:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/were-all-together-again-for-the-first-time-mw0000649429

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sounds like I have to give this Webster dude a listen. I am embarrassed to say I don't know any of his music. I'm all into "tone" when it comes to horns though - my favorites would be Chet Baker on Trumpet and Paul Desmond on Soprano but there is no particular standout for me on Tenor.

Baker and Desmond would have to be included in the 'beautiful tone' department, but Ben Webster is the 'man' on tone and 'action' or 'growl' within the tone. I don't have the musical vocabulary to give proper homage to his style and method, sorry to say. but I cannot get enough of his music and likely own 20-30 of his recordings on digital, Lp and tape. possibly the most listenable collection of music I have. it touches my soul and is good for what ails you.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Baker and Desmond would have to be included in the 'beautiful tone' department, but Ben Webster is the 'man' on tone and 'action' or 'growl' within the tone. I don't have the musical vocabulary to give proper homage to his style and method, sorry to say. but I cannot get enough of his music and likely own 20-30 of his recordings on digital, Lp and tape. possibly the most listenable collection of music I have. it touches my soul and is good for what ails you.

Checked out some of his music, and has a unique and beautiful tone indeed. However, I would describe the style/genre as "swing Jazz", which does not really touch me emotionally. I like what I would call a deeply lyrical/melancholic style in jazz. The epitome of a lyrical/melancholic composition in Jazz to me is Brubeck's "Koto Song", which hits me straight in the gut every time I hear it (it is on the aforementioned live album). I must be our souls suffer from different ailments that respond to different medicine.

Achingly beautiful .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdD9gPnhhM

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
+1 on Ben!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
One of my favorite Ben Webster recordings is the SACD of the Ultradisc "My Romance". Check it out if you can - probably one of the best sounding digital of the tenor sax that I own. Don't bother ripping the CD layer - it's compressed and sounds flat and uninteresting. If you can rip or play the DSD layer - I highly recommend it.

My Romance.JPG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IMHO, my favs on sax

Tenor:

Alto:

Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond (my father had the pleasure of knowing Paul Desmond BTW, a lovely fellow if I recall correctly)

Baritone

I also like Webster, Hawkins, Hodges and Desmond...and totally agree on Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster. I have the gold MFSL and enjoy it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Unlike some other sax players, I enjoy every Ben Webster album I have.

I have See you at the Fair, Mulligan Meets Webster (MFSL), Webster meet Oscar Peterson, and Ben Webster and Associates. What else do you recommend?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I have See you at the Fair, Mulligan Meets Webster (MFSL), Webster meet Oscar Peterson, and Ben Webster and Associates. What else do you recommend?

Those are great choices, let me add a few more. 1. Soulville. The Analog Productions 45 is leagues better than any 33 I've heard. I don't know how they did it, but they fixed Ben's sound level at the beginning of Soulville. I had always thought that he had just not quite stepped up to the microphone. This is probably my favorite Ben Webster album.
2. Ben Webster At The Renaissance. I also have this on 45 rpm and think it is a great album.
3. Ben Webster - Stormy Weather on 45rpm Black Lion Records. Very very good album. The Black Lion release also comes with a 33 rpm record, but frankly, once you hear the 45 you will only play the 33 for convenience.
4. Ben Webster and Joe Zawinul - Travelin' Light. This is a 2 record set 33rpm by Milestone Records. Very interesting, as there are 2 takes of some of the songs.
I've also got some good digital recommendations, though they are mostly compilations of some of his more famous works, but still a good listen. The two I recommend are : 1. Music For Loving. Very sumptuous. 2. The Soul of Ben Webster. This double CD has a lot of his most famous songs.
Hope that helps!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have the original Proprius LP and an ATR Mastercut. To be honest, while the sonics are commendable, the music just isn't my type. It is however requested often by people who come to audition gear and that's the reason I have them. :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only have the second press white label Proprius, and I'm not ashamed to say I actually quite like this album. I think it's wonderfully recorded and sends out a really joyous feeling. So what that it isn't Ben Webster or any of the greats....JATP is wonderful in its own right.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Those are great choices, let me add a few more. 1. Soulville. The Analog Productions 45 is leagues better than any 33 I've heard. I don't know how they did it, but they fixed Ben's sound level at the beginning of Soulville. I had always thought that he had just not quite stepped up to the microphone. This is probably my favorite Ben Webster album.
2. Ben Webster At The Renaissance. I also have this on 45 rpm and think it is a great album.
3. Ben Webster - Stormy Weather on 45rpm Black Lion Records. Very very good album. The Black Lion release also comes with a 33 rpm record, but frankly, once you hear the 45 you will only play the 33 for convenience.
4. Ben Webster and Joe Zawinul - Travelin' Light. This is a 2 record set 33rpm by Milestone Records. Very interesting, as there are 2 takes of some of the songs.
I've also got some good digital recommendations, though they are mostly compilations of some of his more famous works, but still a good listen. The two I recommend are : 1. Music For Loving. Very sumptuous. 2. The Soul of Ben Webster. This double CD has a lot of his most famous songs.
Hope that helps!

Thanks!! I will check out a few and let you know!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hope that helps!

I have got Music for Loving (2CD), Soulville (APO Remaster) and Soul of Ben Webster (APO Remaster) in the inbox. I also added a Japanese CD of Art Tatum and Ben Webster...have you heard this one by any chance? the Allmusic.com snips seemed promising.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I only have the second press white label Proprius, and I'm not ashamed to say I actually quite like this album. I think it's wonderfully recorded and sends out a really joyous feeling. So what that it isn't Ben Webster or any of the greats....JATP is wonderful in its own right.

I agree John. I quite like it.

Music is art, you either get it or you don't. Everyone's taste is different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing