Getting Started: Rip to ? File Format?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Want to end up with music on HD as primary source.
What format should I rip CDs to that will be compatible with whatever hardware I end up with (circular question?)
I have some music files in WAV and some in FLAC now- both work or convert to one format? Rip new ones to FLAC?
Exact Audio Copy good tool?
Thanks.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
dBpowerAmp also lets you decode HDCD encoded CD's to 24/44.1 so that any future dac's that don't support HDCD...the sound will be correct. Playing HDCD's on a player that does not decode HDCD yields poor, un dynamic sound, ime.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
dBpowerAmp also lets you decode HDCD encoded CD's to 24/44.1 so that any future dac's that don't support HDCD...the sound will be correct. Playing HDCD's on a player that does not decode HDCD yields poor, un dynamic sound, ime.

Yes, it makes quite a "huge" difference. Without decoding, some HDCDs can sound a bit distorted. I used to use Foobar with the HDCD decoder, but I think that decoding first with dBpowerAmp sounds better. Of course, IMHO and when I say sounds better, it just means that I prefer the sound. All the usual disclaimers - no double blind testing, etc.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Agreed Gary. I buy a lot of Grateful Dead live shows that they continue to release. They are still encoding them with HDCD. I bet half the people buying them don't even realize they are not hearing them at their full potential.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
What naming convention should I use? The EAC default doesn't put songs into a folder by artists name, which I have done prior.
I don't want to pick a media tool next month and then need to rename my music so it displays ideally.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What naming convention should I use? The EAC default doesn't put songs into a folder by artists name, which I have done prior.
I don't want to pick a media tool next month and then need to rename my music so it displays ideally.

just change the default setting to whatever you want it to be.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For what it costs go with dB Poweramp. Also try to set the ripped CD to individual files rather than a one big file. If for any reasons somthing goes wrong you and some corruption occurs, you would lose some songs, not whole albums.
Also do think of backing-up your ripped files...
There is a free application from Microsoft called Synctoy that works extremely well. Use it consistently

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
just change the default setting to whatever you want it to be.

I have DBpoweramp set to: Artist/Album Title/Track Title

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use MediaMonkey Gold and rip to FLAC uncompressed.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
dBpowerAmp allows you to use any structure/naming convention you specify. When you start up the software in default mode on the lower left corner of the screen you get the naming convention. Click [set] and you can specify naming/folder structure.

Same with EAC - you have to specify and not just rely on the default.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Another vote for dbPoweramp and flac.

When I first started ripping a few years ago i ripped to wav with Windows Media Player - big mistake. Too much missing album art and other issues.

Ended up re-ripping / converting everything to flac and moving to the JRiver player.

Live and learn.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I'm in the process of ripping my CDs to FLAC using EAC, which is a painstaking process but I at least feel confident that I have good rips. However, I haven't started on classical yet as I have yet to see a good system for tagging classical works. Anyone got any suggestions that have worked for them in the real world?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
In this digital age we must pic a camp and try others in comparring to yours. I do not beleave there is right and wrong it's more choice. If DBPOWER amp and j river soud great that's fine.
I build servers based on SER 2012 and AO. They just sound Differant if not all te exact same parts
Does this make it right or wrong. No it just shows us there is many ways to make music and they all can be unique. Finding what sounds great and easy to use is where you want to head.
I too try tried wav so called super sound. It's just not true. Source is paramount as is the DAC. Flac no compression is fine but if it's real dsd you have downloaded keep it as such. Up or down sampling plays hell on the music. Ignorant cd rip it to such.
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing