Baetis Audio Reference

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
http://baetisaudio.com/purchase.php

It looks like a big thumbs up from Goodwin's on this server - custom hardware (eith AES/EBU) and well executed power supply (at a minimum) on Windows running JRiver/JRemote

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Want to follow

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had a thread years ago on why I wouldn't come close to any custom-made music server, and I believe Gary here had also said that he would still prefer a top transport, though his own server was well received by many. This Baetis seems very promising in its approach to hardware, but I think it still misses the mark in one key area: it includes USB and HDMI outputs that a true audiophile doesn't care for. It still comes across as a "computer" to which you can plug in a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor.

So I am hoping they can take the design even further: look at Burmester and similar, and include a front touchscreen for configuration (and optional operation), and remove those noisy interfaces, leaving AES/EBU only. I feels like this Reference unit sounds really good as is, but I think it can go even further...

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
http://baetisaudio.com/purchase.php

It looks like a big thumbs up from Goodwin's on this server - custom hardware (eith AES/EBU) and well executed power supply (at a minimum) on Windows running JRiver/JRemote

We have this server in-house and have been testing its capabilities for a month. Based on our experience we will definitely be using this with a Berkley DAC at the Las Vegas CES show. We don't have enough long term experience with it but based upon our performance tests I can give it a strong recommendation for a trial.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I found the Baetis XR2 to be an excellent player and, when paired with a suitable DAC (via USB or S/PDIF), to be a nicely packaged system. Yes, one can build an equivalent device for less money but that is beyond the abilities and/or interests of many. As for the comments about his opinions, I will not address them except to say that he and I had many friendly arguments in the course of the review process. All that aside, one should judge the product. See http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-68-page-2

BTW, none of the one-box servers/renderers (including many mentioned around here) will do multichannel with the exception of the recently released Aria Music Server (http://ariamusicserver.com/ ).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, one can build an equivalent device for less money but that is beyond the abilities and/or interests of many.

How is this machine any different from a CAPS 3.0 Zuma with optional BR drive, which can be had for about 40% of the price. No need to build it because you can buy them prebuild.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How is this machine any different from a CAPS 3.0 Zuma with optional BR drive, which can be had for about 40% of the price. No need to build it because you can buy them prebuild.

"Yes, one can build an equivalent device for less money but that is beyond the abilities and/or interests of many." Do you think we constitute the "many?"

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

I don't know anything about the Zuma. I do know that the AES/EBU output of the Baetis is superior to any other connection method that we tried. Because I am no expert in this field I just copied what the Baetis website says about it. It seems to work as stated.

INTRODUCING the Baetis Reference Media Server – the world’s only 4-core media computer with a dedicated, galvanically isolated, and fully shielded AES/EBU output straight off the motherboard using no PCI card!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't know anything about the Zuma. I do know that the AES/EBU output of the Baetis is superior to any other connection method that we tried. Because I am no expert in this field I just copied what the Baetis website says about it. It seems to work as stated.

The CAPS is a specification for a high end audio server developed by the computer audiophile site owner. Enthusiasts build them themselves, but they can be bought assembled for a small markup over cost of parts. The base model is about a grand, and the top of the line Zuma is about two grand. You can get the optional red wine audio battery, that you can also use with the Baetis. It is essentially an $2k unbranded version of the $5k servers, but with no manufacturer support. However, it is a USB server, so if you want to the best aes/ebu, you may need to look elsewhere.

I have a second server with aes/ebu lynx card for multi channel. This is build by www.endpcnoice.com, an outfit that used to (or may be still does), builds machines for Goodwins. Also a lot cheaper than branded, build like a tank, and jam packed with the latest heardware and fastest hardware, and half the price of Beatis. Extremely knowledgable guys, stand by their product - best deal going around.

To be fair, my servers are now both rock slid stable, but it typically takes some aggregation that many audiophiles are not prepared to go through to get there.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
"Yes, one can build an equivalent device for less money but that is beyond the abilities and/or interests of many." Do you think we constitute the "many?"

I suspect there are more folks running a custom build server in the 1-2k range than 5k branded machines like Baetis, but there is obviously a market for both.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
5k? The References sells at $13,995
AES/EBU straight from the mobo? I know almost any mobo has a SPDIF header.
As far as I know these are not the best in the jitter department.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
5k? The References sells at $13,995
AES/EBU straight from the mobo? I know almost any mobo has a SPDIF header.
As far as I know these are not the best in the jitter department.

I see. i was referring to the Xr2 which Kal reviewed. I would think that getting a SOTA USB converter is a lot cheaper road to galvanically isolated AES/EBU bliss. Besides, from what I understand a good asynchronous USB input beats the AES/EBU for the majority of DACs...

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
As far as I know it is not uncommon to isolate SPDIF or AES/EBU with transformers.
A lot of pro-interfaces do.
A transformer won't break the bank :)

The "problem" with legacy interfaces like SPDIF and AES/EBU is that the DAC is slaved to the sender.
The jitter generated by the sender is the input jitter at the DAC.
That's the hybrid nature of these protocols, the samples are 'digital' but the timing of this bus, analog by design, is the sample rate.
Theoretical a asynchronous protocol is to be preferred as it makes the DAC the master hence independent of the source.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As far as I know it is not uncommon to isolate SPDIF or AES/EBU with transformers.
A lot of pro-interfaces do.
A transformer won't break the bank :)

The "problem" with legacy interfaces like SPDIF and AES/EBU is that the DAC is slaved to the sender.
The jitter generated by the sender is the input jitter at the DAC.
That's the hybrid nature of these protocols, the samples are 'digital' but the timing of this bus, analog by design, is the sample rate.
Theoretical a asynchronous protocol is to be preferred as it makes the DAC the master hence independent of the source.

That is my understanding as well, although some dacs (ps audio, MSB), have asynchronous spdif and aes/ebu implementations through buffering and reclocking. Irrespectively, spending close to 10k on this feature at the source when asynchronous usb should be a superior interface is a bit strange.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I found the Baetis XR2 to be an excellent player and, when paired with a suitable DAC (via USB or S/PDIF), to be a nicely packaged system. Yes, one can build an equivalent device for less money but that is beyond the abilities and/or interests of many. As for the comments about his opinions, I will not address them except to say that he and I had many friendly arguments in the course of the review process. All that aside, one should judge the product. See http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-68-page-2

BTW, none of the one-box servers/renderers (including many mentioned around here) will do multichannel with the exception of the recently released Aria Music Server (http://ariamusicserver.com/ ).

So will a modded laptop, but does the Aria have a room correction in it like Dirac?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So will a modded laptop, but does the Aria have a room correction in it like Dirac?

Nope. To be able to run Dirac you need to go the DIY route, or buy a prebuilt windows machine like CAPS. The music vault will allow you to run dirac though. MCH through HDMI only though.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nope. To be able to run Dirac you need to go the DIY route, or buy a prebuilt windows machine like CAPS. The music vault will allow you to run dirac though. MCH through HDMI only though.

Is there any sonic difference between a music vault with HDMI and DIY with USB? I know, tough question. The music vault seems to be same price as modded laptop

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Is there any sonic difference between a music vault with HDMI and DIY with USB? I know, tough question. The music vault seems to be same price as modded laptop

The sonic differences will more of a function of your downstream DAC options than the digital source. With HDMI you need a SSP. With usb you can use the exasound MCH dac. I suspect to get similar quality DACs as the exasound in a SSP, you need to spend a multiple of the $2500 the exesound retails for. Your third option is to get a server with a MCH Lynx card and use a pro MCH dac, or a stack of 2 channel dacs. This is what I am doing (also running dirac) with a server build by endpcnoise.com - the HFX monster. Phenomenal piece of fanless hardware, build like a tank, and very affordable. However, I think getting a prebuilt caps 3.0 Zuma with exasound dac will give you the best bang for the buck (or save a few 100 and build it yourself). Main reason I am using the endspcnoise server is I also use video, and my server accommodates an HDMI video card.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing