Best DiGITAL version of Rickie Lee Jones s/t debut?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a Canadian Warner CD (UPC : 0 7599-27389-2 7). I bought it a long time ago and it sounds fine, so maybe I shouldn't even be asking. The thing is, it's one of my favourite albums and I was wondering if there is a CD or SACD that is considered to be the better or best version.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I have a Canadian Warner CD (UPC : 0 7599-27389-2 7). I bought it a long time ago and it sounds fine, so maybe I shouldn't even be asking. The thing is, it's one of my favourite albums and I was wondering if there is a CD or SACD that is considered to be the better or best version.

I do not think this album has been reissued on SACD or high-res download. The SHM CD would be my best bet for digital, but I have not heard it (since I can't imagine it coming anywhere close the MFSL 45 RPM).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I do not think this album has been reissued on SACD or high-res download. The SHM CD would be my best bet for digital, but I have not heard it (since I can't imagine it coming anywhere close the MFSL 45 RPM).

The 45RPM is pretty spectacular for sure. The 33RPM Rhino pressed at RTI is not bad either. Will check out the SHM-CD! Thanks!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
The 45RPM is pretty spectacular for sure. The 33RPM Rhino pressed at RTI is not bad either. Will check out the SHM-CD! Thanks!

I had somehow missed the Rhino. It looks like it is a remaster by the boys at AcousTech. I just ordered a copy: thanks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had somehow missed the Rhino. It looks like it is a remaster by the boys at AcousTech. I just ordered a copy: thanks.

I think you'll like it. It's actually my goto copy as I am being a little over-protective with 45RPM. Plus sometimes I'm too lazy to switch sides too often.

Just ordered the SHM-CD from Amazon Canada $29.99. I don't think I've ever paid that much for a CD. Haha! But I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this album!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I am a big fan of Rickie Lee Jones but have no idea what "s/t" is. Someone help me :).

Self Titled (her first album)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just received the SHM-CD is this and it's outstanding. It beats the Redbook CD by a wide margin, even though the standard Redbook CD wasn't subjected to the loudness wars at all. Everything just opened up, bass was way better and percussion came into focus with much better high-hat and cymbal clarity. Lovely instrument decay...same with guitar strings.

The MFSL 45RPM is still the Gold standard IMO, but this SHM-CD really is outstanding.

RLJ - Debut SHM-CD.jpg

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I just received the SHM-CD is this and it's outstanding. It beats the Redbook CD by a wide margin, even though the standard Redbook CD wasn't subjected to the loudness wars at all. Everything just opened up, bass was way better and percussion came into focus with much better high-hat and cymbal clarity. Lovely instrument decay...same with guitar strings.

The MFSL 45RPM is still the Gold standard IMO, but this SHM-CD really is outstanding.

View attachment 18028

I am relieved to hear you like it :)

BTW, I received the Rhino LP, but have not cleaned it yet. I will give it a spin in the next couple of days.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am relieved to hear you like it :)

BTW, I received the Rhino LP, but have not cleaned it yet. I will give it a spin in the next couple of days.

Sweet!:D Do let me know how you like the Rhino if you have a chance!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Sweet!:D Do let me know how you like the Rhino if you have a chance!

I finally got a chance to listen to the Rhino LP. It is really good and I am glad to have it in the collection. But, and I think we agree, playing the 45 RPM back-to-back leaves little doubt as to which is the better record.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I finally got a chance to listen to the Rhino LP. It is really good and I am glad to have it in the collection. But, and I think we agree, playing the 45 RPM back-to-back leaves little doubt as to which is the better record.

+1. We agree!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Johnny,

In celebration of your dipping your toe in electronica, this one with Ms RLJ is for you :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing