silicon coating on vinyl and home made cleaning machine

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
brand name made machine will cost too much $ , I did one with little money, a old SONY player only $20, pad brush attach to the tonearm, compressed air pump for clean up surface's solution, that is it, Armor All car wax is silicon base, too thick for use, I mixed 4 to 5 drops to a half bottle of Armor All car glass cleaner after clean the record do it again with this mixed solution, but no blow out this time, use paper towel to clean the most, white wax will remain on surface, another fresh paper towel for polish, I use a record vacuum cleaner for more polish, silicon has less friction to needle, that make sound more smooth and sweet, on the top less dust and static, if you not sure safe for your vinyl try one you don't care much and you will find the different, I been doing this to my vinyls for more than 8 years, so far nothing in negative
tony ky ma

Attachments

• Picture 027..jpg
    Picture 027..jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 538
  • Picture 025..jpg
    Picture 025..jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Picture 026..jpg
    Picture 026..jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 466
  • Picture 024..jpg
    Picture 024..jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 941

Grainger49

May 11, 2010
Knoxville, TN
That is quite a rig for cleaning. When I saw the title to the thread I wondered.... no, just if you were using spray silicone that you buy in an aerosol can at the auto parts place. I use it on my window frames. It allows the windows to slide well. Sometimes too well, they won't stay partially opened.

I haven't tried it on my LPs. I may not.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That is quite a rig for cleaning. When I saw the title to the thread I wondered.... no, just if you were using spray silicone that you buy in an aerosol can at the auto parts place. I use it on my window frames. It allows the windows to slide well. Sometimes too well, they won't stay partially opened.

I haven't tried it on my LPs. I may not.

Caveat emptor ..

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Record cleaning equipment needs to be very clean to work well. No offense, but the Sony unit is dusty and dirty and doesn't seem to be something that would serve as an effective cleaning device.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Record cleaning equipment needs to be very clean to work well. No offense, but the Sony unit is dusty and dirty and doesn't seem to be something that would serve as an effective cleaning device.

reason of it looks dirty, first I use blow away not sucking, unit mess with liquid , and I am too lazy not to clean up every time after useed, ( a lazy diyer only look for how it work not how it look ), maybe those dirty is from the dirty vinyl. second I started the project around 8 years ago, but I join forum just from last year and took pictures, the unit has not been used for a long time, one coat can last quite long do not need do it often no new vinyls too in 2 or 3 years
tony ma

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Do you find that you have more gunk build up on your stylus Tony? If so how often do you clean your stylus?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Do you find that you have more gunk build up on your stylus Tony? If so how often do you clean your stylus?
I did try many different coatings, in the beginning wax was too thick, then stylus stacked with wax, till I got the right thinness one since then no more problems, Last week John asked me why I place a mirror under the cart when he came over, answer is to check with stylus in a easy way but after the right coating I have not use the brush to clean the stylus not even one time, How long can the coating last ? you can judge by listening, flesh coating can sound different, fun to have a try won't cause too much money of it
tony ma

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
reason of it looks dirty, first I use blow away not sucking, unit mess with liquid , and I am too lazy not to clean up every time after useed, ( a lazy diyer only look for how it work not how it look ), maybe those dirty is from the dirty vinyl. second I started the project around 8 years ago, but I join forum just from last year and took pictures, the unit has not been used for a long time, one coat can last quite long do not need do it often no new vinyls too in 2 or 3 years
tony ma

dude, your set-up looks scary. im not getting a warm and fuzzy from the filthy TT you're using. IF i had to use any silicate-type spray id opt for gruv glide, i havent used it in yrs and havent felt a need to - guess it depends if you live in a staticy environment.

http://www.gruvglide.com/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing