Loudspeaker cables for Devialet (and Magico)

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Devialet. And I am in the final stage of buying a set of Magico S1 speakers. I wonder, who has experience with Devialet, and can recommend speaker cables?

I have been playing with Chord Electronics amplification and B&W Nautilus 803 speaker. In that set I used MIT cables. I really like the MITs, but I am not so sure these thick cables would be nice (esthetically) with the Devialet and S1. Of course, if it is a good combination sonically I will consider it.

I have read in another forum that Devialet combines well with Crystal Cable. Are here people who can confirm this?

Regards,
Eric.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have used entry model and up to Ultra with regards to Crystal Cable (with Devialet) and IMO the brand really only starts to shine once you reach the Reference/Ultra range; the best description I have seen for the lower models was given by Martin Colloms who described a bleaching effect type trait to the sound/harmonics, which fits with my own thoughts after long term listening.
Depending upon cost and availability you could try to audition the Siltech Explorer brand that has had great reviews.
One I would had liked to try with Devialet would had been AudioQuest as I would think it compliments some aspects of the Devialet that for many (including myself) would be too neutral (more neutral than Chord Electronics but Devialet benefits IMO from being more smooth when Chord Electronics operates at high AB bias/watts).

You probably have an idea of a few to try on top of these.
Cheers
Orb

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I use Chord Sarum with my Devialet 800 and Wilson Sasha2 speakers. Can definitely recommend it but it takes an eternity (1-2k hours!) to burn in, so much time that I thought there was initially a problem. Otherwise depending on your budget I would also look at Transparent from the Reference level upwards. I'm hoping to try out the new TA XL ones at some point. But the Sarums are cracking value in my opinion and you'll need to spend a lot more to better them.

Cheers

Guillaume

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use Chord Sarum with my Devialet 800 and Wilson Sasha2 speakers. Can definitely recommend it but it takes an eternity (1-2k hours!) to burn in, so much time that I thought there was initially a problem. Otherwise depending on your budget I would also look at Transparent from the Reference level upwards. I'm hoping to try out the new TA XL ones at some point. But the Sarums are cracking value in my opinion and you'll need to spend a lot more to better them.

Cheers

Guillaume

That's insane and frankly I don't buy it. Can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why this cable (or any cable for that matter) would take this long. And how do you decide that after this length of time it's performing optimally?

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why this cable (or any cable for that matter) would take this long.

I can't I'm afraid. They sounded terrible at first and for a few months I thought there was indeed a problem. So much so that I got in touch with manufacturer. At the time I think they mentioned 600 hours before they would get to where they should be. To my ears it was more like 1-2k. It was a painful process but they sound utterly superb now.

Cheers

Guillaume

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello,
(...)

I have read in another forum that Devialet combines well with Crystal Cable. Are here people who can confirm this?

Regards,
Eric.

The best sound I coul get from Devialet included Crystal Dreamline cables. Unfortunately they were more expensive than the Devialet ...:eek:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The best sound I coul get from Devialet included Crystal Dreamline cables. Unfortunately they were more expensive than the Devialet ...:eek:

Even though it did not come across, from Ultra upwards I really do love the Crystal Cable products and is one of the cables I could use long term with Devialet, funny enough also thought they are great when using them with my Dartzeel + Magico.
Micro if I remember unfortunately you cannot get to listen to Siltech where you live?
Same situation for me here in UK.

Cheers
Orb

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
That's insane and frankly I don't buy it. Can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why this cable (or any cable for that matter) would take this long. And how do you decide that after this length of time it's performing optimally?

Likely not the thread for this debate but ..yeah .. One of those ideas we, audiophiles cling to: that of the burning-in of wires but .. hey! if it sounded different to the person after those 3 months ...

I am with you JV. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Likely not the thread for this debate but ..yeah .. One of those ideas we, audiophiles cling to: that of the burning-in of wires but .. hey! if it sounded different to the person after those 3 months ...

I am with you JV. :)

Frantz,
Direct question or yes or no answer:

Do you believe cables (and I am considering only those with reasonable electrical specifications that do not change frequency response in the audio range) can make a system sound different?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

Do you believe cables (and I am considering only those with reasonable electrical specifications that do not change frequency response in the audio range) can make a system sound different?

Let's move this to a different thread. You already know my position on cables (network cables are a different bred)

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Thank you for your advice Orb :)

Not sure I can audition AudioQuest where I live, but I will try to find them. I was already afraid that it would cost a lot of money if I would go towards Crystal Cable. Siltech, I am not sure. In my previous set I moved away from Siltech interlinks and bought MIT. I never had a reason to change again. But then, you mention a new Siltech series, why not try it out?

I have used entry model and up to Ultra with regards to Crystal Cable (with Devialet) and IMO the brand really only starts to shine once you reach the Reference/Ultra range; the best description I have seen for the lower models was given by Martin Colloms who described a bleaching effect type trait to the sound/harmonics, which fits with my own thoughts after long term listening.
Depending upon cost and availability you could try to audition the Siltech Explorer brand that has had great reviews.
One I would had liked to try with Devialet would had been AudioQuest as I would think it compliments some aspects of the Devialet that for many (including myself) would be too neutral (more neutral than Chord Electronics but Devialet benefits IMO from being more smooth when Chord Electronics operates at high AB bias/watts).

Cheers
Orb

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Wow, that is a long burn in time Guillaume!!! I was used to a long burn in time with my MITs, but this is much much longer....

Cheers

Guillaume

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Hi devert,

I am not sure Audience is sold in the Netherlands, where I am from. I have certainly never heard them. Anyway, I live in the UAE now, and in this country is only one (1) serious audio dealer, so the choice is limited. I will check if they have this brand.

Eric,

If you have an Audience dealer, try some Au24SE speaker cables.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Frantz,

Let's move this to a different thread. You already know my position on cables (network cables are a different bred)
Probably best to opine about that in a different thread as Frantz indicated.
However: Cable differences? YES
Burn-in: NO.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I see - you post on a thread about cables but do not want to answer a simple question about cables by yes or no. And sorry, I do not remember your position on cables - otherwise I would not have asked.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Probably best to opine about that in a different thread as Frantz indicated.
However: Cable differences? YES
Burn-in: NO.

John,

I see you feel it is appropriate for this thread, as you could not resist to answer. ;)
Can I ask you why you have such firm believe in cable differences and not in burn-in? Do you have a technical reason to support your cable difference belief?

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Hi Orb,

Thank you for this info. Indeed, with Crystal Cable it is going to be very expensive quite soon I am afraid. Interesting that you mention Siltech. I moved away from Siltech when I bought MIT a couple of years ago. But this new Siltech brand I have never heard. Will check it out if I can get hold of them.

Cheers
Orb

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Gents, I really would like it if we can stick to the subject of this thread: advice on loudspeaker cables for Devialet. Not that discussions between believers and non-believers can't be interesting, but that would deserve its own thread.

John,

I see you feel it is appropriate for this thread, as you could not resist to answer. ;)
Can I ask you why you have such firm believe in cable differences and not in burn-in? Do you have a technical reason to support your cable difference belief?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Gents, I really would like it if we can stick to the subject of this thread: advice on loudspeaker cables for Devialet. Not that discussions between believers and non-believers can't be interesting, but that would deserve its own thread.

Eric,

FYI, this is a typical activity of WBF's flat-earthers like FrantzM, hijacking threads and offering no meaningful advice to the OP's question.

I forgot to mention, unless you're going put your Devialet on some type of footer to raise its height, it's hard to connect spades on the amp end.

I recommend you use banana plugs on the amp end.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing