Loudspeaker cables for Devialet (and Magico)

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Good you mention this, wouldn't have thought of it myself. Have to think now, as I prefer spades over bananas.

Eric,

I forgot to mention, unless you're going put your Devialet on some type of footer to raise its height, it's hard to connect spades on the amp end.

I recommend you use banana plugs on the amp end.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Orb,

Thank you for this info. Indeed, with Crystal Cable it is going to be very expensive quite soon I am afraid. Interesting that you mention Siltech. I moved away from Siltech when I bought MIT a couple of years ago. But this new Siltech brand I have never heard. Will check it out if I can get hold of them.

The Explorer is the "entry" model, if you were considering Reference/Ultra Crystal Cable then the suggestion is to look at the 770L Anniversary; one very major point only buy Siltech new from an authorised dealer as there is a ridiculous amount of fakes sold from China that have made it over to Europe and USA :(

Cheers
Orb

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
So far recommended are Audience, Chrystal Cable, Chord and Siltech. Pretty much the top lines of each.

I have to see which of these are available here in the UAE (there is only one real good audio dealer here, with shops in Dubai and Abu Dhabi). From their website I can see that they have AudioQuest. Does anyone of you have experience with AudioQuest and Devialet?

John49

Jul 22, 2013
London,UK
I use Chord Sarum with my Devialet 800 and Wilson Sasha2 speakers. Can definitely recommend it but it takes an eternity (1-2k hours!) to burn in, so much time that I thought there was initially a problem. Otherwise depending on your budget I would also look at Transparent from the Reference level upwards. I'm hoping to try out the new TA XL ones at some point. But the Sarums are cracking value in my opinion and you'll need to spend a lot more to better them.

Cheers

Guillaume

Chord Sarum speaker cable is best bought pre-owned in my opinion, but very little comes up on the market.

Last edited:

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
The local dealer here in Abu Dhabi recommend the brand Vertere with Devialet. It is quite a new cable brand I believe. Hardly any reviews around. Does anyone here have any experience with Vertere?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The local dealer here in Abu Dhabi recommend the brand Vertere with Devialet. It is quite a new cable brand I believe. Hardly any reviews around. Does anyone here have any experience with Vertere?

The brand is the brainchild of Touraj who you may know from Roksan (builds some very competitively priced products with good engineering - ok Touraj also created an insane price tone arm as well :) ).
I could be wrong but I think the premise of the Vertere range is using different sized conductors, Touraj is probably the 2nd person to release a retail cable based on this concept - I cannot remember the name of the other company but I think Art Dudley reviewed them in the past; might be Gutwire *shrug*.
There has been a few reviews done and from memory depending upon which cable model it can be hit and miss.
I was interested myself but I must admit I did not think the engineering-build would be as good as say those brands already mentioned; but I have not seen Vertere cables myself so might be a poor assumption.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Ah also just remembered one of their cable models when measured for a review (think Hifi News) was rather unusual and not all good, was that review that made me rethink trying them.
Cheers
Orb

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Ah also just remembered one of their cable models when measured for a review (think Hifi News) was rather unusual and not all good, was that review that made me rethink trying them.
Cheers
Orb

Thanks for the info orb. I will try to find that review.

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Cheers
Orb

Was it this review orb? http://mvicha.sweb.cz/test%20USB%20kabelu.pdf

Here, the Vertere D-fi cable doesn't get good notes indeed. Strange however, exactly the same cable has received some rave reviews in other magazines.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Might be, although I thought it was for an interconnect and related to standard electrical measurements .
If I remember where and find details will post, no harm trying them with a few of the brands already named.
I think the issue would had related to other amplifiers not as linear in performance as the Devialet.

Cheers
Orb

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I could, of course be wrong :) but in my cable comparisons which I did a long time ago they all sounded the same to me except the MIT and Transparent cables which have filters built in. I did prefer both the MIT and Transparent cables to the others.
I have not repeated the test for the Devialet, which has a vanishingly low output impedance so would be very much less likely to be cable (or speaker) sensitive than most other amps.
I have used both a standard multi strand speaker cable with simple banana connectors (treated with contact enhancer) which were around £30 for the pair and a hand made pair of cotton and wax cables made specially to match my speakers.
Both work superbly well and I am too busy enjoying music to waste time pointlessly (IMHO) experimenting further.

The way the Devialet SAM technology works in correcting phase and amplitude would lead me to expect the MIT and Transparent cables I enjoyed before to interfere with the correct functioning of SAM if one was using speakers which have a SAM profile available, though I could be wrong here too :) and I am unlikely to ever own speakers which have a SAM profile myself.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The way the Devialet SAM technology works in correcting phase and amplitude would lead me to expect the MIT and Transparent cables I enjoyed before to interfere with the correct functioning of SAM if one was using speakers which have a SAM profile available, though I could be wrong here too :) and I am unlikely to ever own speakers which have a SAM profile myself.

Why would we expect that cables that have networks tuned above 100 KHz affect SAM operation?

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Why would we expect that cables that have networks tuned above 100 KHz affect SAM operation?

Personally, I wouldn't expect networks tuned to above 100kHz to have any effect on any non-faulty equipment.

Fischerp

Jun 10, 2013
I can wholeheartedly recommend Crystal Cable. I have my entire system, mains, speaker and all interconnects, Crystal Cable Reference. Using a Devialet 250 with Raidho D-1 speakers. Natural and warm sounding.
FWIW, I had an extra set of Crystal Cable Micro ICs. CC reterminated them with a headphone jack. Now, even my headphones sound amazing!

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
The new set is delivered last Monday. I decided to go with the Vertere Pulse-X mini that the dealer could supply. Not sure yet if they are keepers. Time will tell. They are definitely not bad, and certainly not expensive. So this is a good start point. As the set is still running in, I can't make any definitive judgments by now. The soundstage is very wide, but I miss depth at the moment. Let's see how that develops (I know that boundary reflections can influence this also, so it is not only the cable). At a later stage, I may get some Crystal Cables or Vovox to experiment with.

But in general, I am very happy with my new set. Devialet 200 with Magico S1 is a very nice combination :D

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Going from one extreme to another.
I just got into the Devialet camp with a D Premier with expert 250 upgrade, no SAM.
I also replaced my speakers and went to Spendor SP1/2R2.
I tried my Dueland wires as speaker wires,and for the jumpers.
Then on a whim I bought some 18 gauge solid core copper wire,which seemed to be a better match, eventhough the Spendors are said to internally wired with silver clad copper wire as are the Dueland.
I also replaced the Dueland IC, same construction as the wire I used for the speakers with an old pair of Cardas twin link!

What I found was that there was less edginess to the sound,the Spendors sounded less ragged.
I can only make a guess,but it's either that the Devialet or the Spendor doesn't like small gauge silver clad wires.

What made me seek out solid core wires was the experience years ago trying it on some other Brit cone speakers
I've been into stats and tubes for the last 25 years,so cones and wires are a bit of a learning curve.

Are there other Devialet owners who've had success with solid core wires,cheap or expensive?

And what gives with the Cardas IC?
Could it be that they are shielded and the Dueland is not.
Are the Dueland wires a better match with tube gear?
So far it appears so.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I have only 10 hours using 2m of Cardas Clear Reflection.
I like how it sounds(compared to Dueland )on Spendor SP1/2R2.More robust sounding.
Looking forward to what the next 90 hours will bring!
Seriously, I doubt that I will be able to hear any real difference over such a long period of time simply because my listening sessions aren't that long anymore.
What I can say is that the Devialet and the Spendors are a nice match and cable differences are audible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing