$$$ 15 Million Patek Philippe

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
$$$ 15 Million Patek Philippe: Just 24 hours before "the most important watch in the world" goes up for auction in Geneva today, the owner - 48-year-old Sheikh Saud bin Mohammed Al-Thani of Qatar has died suddenly; somewhat ironically confirming that "you never actually own a Patek Philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation." Though, it appears, in this case, as Hodinkee reports, the sale of Henry Graves Jr. Patek Philippe Supercomplication - which is expected to sell for in excess of $15 million today - was due to the Sheikh running into financial difficulties.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/11/20141111_patek2.jpg

zz.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, zztop7. I'll be honest. When I clicked onto that link, I was expecting to see a hideous looking timepiece. I was actually pleasantly surprised. That's a fine looking watch.

Tom

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hello, zztop7. I'll be honest. When I clicked onto that link, I was expecting to see a hideous looking timepiece. I was actually pleasantly surprised. That's a fine looking watch.

Tom

I don't think Patek makes one hideous watch. They are very understated compared to what's outs there these days.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
If any has a PP watch that they would like me to look after for their next generation, I would be happy to do it. On the other hand, I think my $7 Walmart Quartz movement watch may be more accurate than the mechanical PP's.

Larry

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't worn a watch in years!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I have never not worn a watch in years. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have never not worn a watch in years. ;)

Haha!

I've never been much of a "bling" guy. No rings, no bracelets or chains.....gold teeth neither! LOLOLOL!

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The watch was posted because >Amazing Workmanship< ; gives those wonderful TTs a run.

Haha!

I've never been much of a "bling" guy. No rings, no bracelets or chains.....gold teeth neither! LOLOLOL!

Yes, and no Tatoos on my body to add to the list. I have enough scars from injuries for decoration.
zz.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Luxury is a "whatever-the purchaser-can-bear" game ... One however must wonder what is in there for $15,000,000 :rolleyes: to each his own, I guess

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That's WAAAAY to rich for me.

Luckily, watches are not on my radar.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I still time by the sky! :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Watches IMO are becoming obsolete much the same as point and shoot cameras

Look at our kids. They never wear a watch or hold a camera as they are always in possession of their mobile phones which have great cameras and a watch which time is pegged to the atomic clock so the time on your phone is always correct

Just saved myself $15M ;)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Look at our kids. They never wear a watch or hold a camera as they are always in possession of their mobile phones which have great cameras and a watch which time is pegged to the atomic clock so the time on your phone is always correct

Should cover the cable budget! ;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I was in Mickie D's a few weeks ago and noticed a well-dressed father in his 40's trying to teach his son how to read an analog watch, which he wanted no part of! The kid threw a temper tantrum because he didn't like what his dad ordered and wanted to go to iHop. The dad rolled over and they both got in the Mercedes and drove off.

Kids these days..!!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Bad OB :)

I love watches but find my interest in purchasing new ones decreasing. Maybe the increasing cognition about the vanity of a watch that can't tell the time as well as , yeah, my cell phone or a $10 Casio. Not falling anymore for the marketing spiel... Great craftsmanship (yeah but some less expensive watches ( <$5,000 could be as well made) and all that hyperbole. This $15,000,000 watch will perhaps find an owner but I fail to see what is so special about it.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Take a visit to the PP watch museum in Geneva and you will find out. Some SERIOUS armed guards there, that's for sure.

PP watches look good and dont conform to a generic style. I hold them in high regard for what they make, sophisticated male jewelry.

I used to live about 10 minutes walk from their HQ and had a neighbour working there...They are walking distance from Rolex (Black campus), Goldmund, Vacheron Constantin and Piaget!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Steve's comment reminds me of an old New Yorker cartoon. A teacher is standing in front of her class. On the wall behind her is a digital clock. The teacher says, "Now clockwise means ..."

Larry

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
fine watches are for the appreciation of engineering beauty, form and function. Either you get it or you don't. I like fine watches. My limit for expenditure...< $20K....so this Perpetual is way out of my league including virtually the entire Patek line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing